Andwhy's mod porting thread

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Re: Andwhy's mod porting thread

andwhyisit, I've been trying to convert mods to the psp myself, and downloaded your csz tools and can create a data.csz with no problems. My question is, how did you get the eboot? Or rather, what was edited in the eboot to make it run?

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Banned
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"

andwhyisit said:
Mods ported to Mac:
Fire Red Version
Jenka's Nightmare
Death Story
Fjord's Adventure
Boss Rush
Julian's King
Schism
Balrog Rush
A Lost Land
Mimiga Army
Comedy Story?
(special thanks to cultr1 for testing these)

Mods ported to PSP:
Fire Red Version
Jenka's Nightmare
Death Story
Fjord's Adventure
Boss Rush
Julian's King
Schism
Balrog Rush
A Lost Land
Mimiga Army
Comedy Story?

Original post:
After porting fire red version I wanted to try my hand at porting other mods too. The thing is I can't properly port over any mods that use assembly hacks. And any hex editing outside of the scope of the editor, with the exception of music ('cause music is easy to port over), may be difficult as well because the offsets may be different in the psp eboot. I may attempt these later, but for now I would like to do something a bit easier.

So I would like to know the names of mods that were made without opening the exe in a hex editor, disassembler, or debugger (or at least to your knowledge).

Great!:p:D:D:D I didnt know also..

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:15 PM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Andwhyisit, you ROCK!!! Now not only my windows laptop can enjoy the mods, but my mac an PSP too! (PSP most of) Thank god we have andwhyisit! You're a gift from heaven!

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

xhmmxc22x said:
andwhyisit, I've been trying to convert mods to the psp myself, and downloaded your csz tools and can create a data.csz with no problems. My question is, how did you get the eboot? Or rather, what was edited in the eboot to make it run?
You need to insert the mapdata from the mod into eboot.pbp and maps.dat.

One of these days I should throw together a mod porting guide. Copying data files is easy. Porting (and in some cases converting) mapdata, converting stray 24-bit pbms into 8-bit pbms, writing tsc to replace start co-ordinates (if needed), and in the case of the mac version, renaming save file names in both Info.plist files, all make the process slightly less than straightforward to the average person.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:09 AM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"

My IRL friend said:
There's a big glitch in mac MA. In the Gaudi area the actual terrain and background don't show up. So I'm more or less blind, except for Abert and the gaudi.
Hey Andwhy? Little help here?

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

sixtyseconds said:
Hey Andwhy? Little help here?
I'll look into it. What's the name of the map?

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"

andwhyisit said:
I'll look into it. What's the name of the map?

Power Plant
Umm...First Cave originally

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:03 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

What about the Enemy Rush mod? I'd be surprised if that contains any assembly hacks.

You still haven't attempted porting ones with assembly hacks, right? Doing that properly would require not only copying the hacks but also translating them to PPC assembly (both PPC and x86 versions of the hacks would be needed for it to work on all Macs).

I tried the Boss Rush mod under Rosetta, and it appears to work fine even with the PPC code, which is good. (Did you copy the map data in two places in the executable, by any chance? I don't know know if it's duplicated, but it seems possible. If it is, one version may be in a different endianness if applicable.)

On a random note, I'm also pleased to see that you remembered to change the bundle identifier for the Mac ports. :D

andwhyisit said:
While this doesn't break the pc version due to its case insensitivity, that is not the case with the psp version (plus I don't know how it affects the mac version).
While I realize that this problem has been fixed, I feel the need to mention that it could break the Mac version. Although the Mac filesystem is typically case-insensitive, there is an option to make it case-sensitive when you reformat your hard drive. So, it's possible it could have broken the Mac version for some people.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Celtic Minstrel said:
What about the Enemy Rush mod? I'd be surprised if that contains any assembly hacks.
Yes sir! :eek:

Celtic Minstrel said:
You still haven't attempted porting ones with assembly hacks, right? Doing that properly would require not only copying the hacks but also translating them to PPC assembly (both PPC and x86 versions of the hacks would be needed for it to work on all Macs).
I ported the assembly hack for Project 1108 to vanilla CSMac, but I was waiting for the next release before I use it to port Project 1108.

Celtic Minstrel said:
I tried the Boss Rush mod under Rosetta, and it appears to work fine even with the PPC code, which is good. (Did you copy the map data in two places in the executable, by any chance? I don't know know if it's duplicated, but it seems possible. If it is, one version may be in a different endianness if applicable.)
I wrote a tool that converts the PC mapdata into the two different Mac mapdata formats and another to insert them both into the executable, so I have accounted for that.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:27 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

Sorry for the bump,but if you still make mods for the PSP can i have the download links? Also some of the mods are way tooo difficult to get over in the game(s).Like Mimiga Army when you get in the dark room with the Gaudi's all over the place,i cant see where i am going and die the whole time.And in the original Cave Story you get more health backs(?) or that box with a health grower more contstantly,while in your mods I die in one attack from a moster.Although great work on making those mods and thanks for your hard work!

P.S. i love those smileys!! :p :chin: :orangebell: :heart:

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

F@¡ø said:
Sorry for the bump,but if you still make mods for the PSP can i have the download links?
Take a look at the first post.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:37 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

andwhyisit said:
Take a look at the first post.
I love your work dude, thanks for porting them to the PSP (asswel for MAC but I hate Apple's)

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:25 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"

Do you accept port requests?

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:45 AM
In front of a computer

I think he does, but I think he also hasn't been seen for awhile.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Request away. :D

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:44 PM

andwhyisit said:
Request away. :D
Everything except what you've already ported to the PSP?

If you want to...

If you can...

If there are not anymore mods for to port to the PSP anymore...

Still like those smilies! :D
:orangebell: :muscledoc: :toroko: :toroko2: :balrog: :critter: :debug: :droll: :pignon2: :sun:

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:43 AM
In front of a computer

andwhyisit said:
Request away. :muscledoc:

I'd still like Enemy Rush for Mac. :awesomeface:

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:46 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"

Can u please port the new Jenka's Nightmare by LunarSoul to the PSP?

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

Alright I might not have time to do this over the next week and a half (going on a ski trip), but I'll get to it as soon as I have the time.

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:43 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Dude who gives a shit, just go have fun on your ski trip and try not to think about this.