an abridged email i recieved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2012 at 2:11 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Hi everyone!

A big hurrah to you!!!!! We’ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today -- the votes we’ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday. See the amazing numbers here and tell everyone what you did.

This was unprecedented.
The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled. “‘This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,’ MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. ‘[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.’”

“'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."
:>​

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This is still not the end. Something feels a bit... off. I just can't put my finger on it.... But something may go wrong soon.

Also:
@Wikipedia
Wikipedia said:
On January 20, 2012, Rep. Lamar Smith postponed plans to draft the bill, saying "The committee remains committed to finding a solution to the problem of online piracy that protects American intellectual property and innovation ... The House Judiciary Committee will postpone consideration of the legislation until there is wider agreement on a solution."

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can we please not use black text? It's difficult to read.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:46 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I wish it was over. I have not yet recived this,but i mostlikly will. I agree, SOPA was a bad idea from the start. but,we still have Somthingto worry about. They will try once more. To quote a elder...
"When you've lived as long as me,you know theres always a enemy...Wating. For. You."
We are the mimigan army! WE MUST SLUGHTER THE HUMANS! This bill CANNOT Be passed! If it does,THIS FOURM WILL DIE! Everyone! Start signing as many peditions as you can when they try once more! Let congress know the mimigan army WILL! NOT! BE! DEFETED!

:sue: :toroko2: :toroko: :mahin: :mahin: :mahin: MIMIGA'S! READY YOUR WEPONS!

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Can we please not use black text? It's difficult to read.
Apparently, copypasta preserves text color. I fixed mine anyways.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:41 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I don't know the details, but seeing how MegaUpload was shutdown, and SOPAbox and friends being called a convenient way to do that to sites... Well, meh!

Not sure if it's true, but someone said that although it was defeated; the bill is not dead, meaning as long as they continue to meet, they can keep pushing the bill. So, I guess people just have to keep an eye out for the next time it rises...

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
On one hand I'm all 'this is nice - SOPA shelved' and on the other I'm unhappy with how many protests are happening these days. STOP PROTESTING STUFF! IT'S ANNOYING! KEEP YOUR GRIPES TO YOUR CIRCLE OF FRIENDS AND STAY OFF THE STREETS!

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
... If no one protested anything, how would ANYONE in the government know what we do and don't want them to do? When we protest, we send a message to those who represent us, that we are against their current decision, or what they are considering.
In other news, my friend is celebrating after I told him this news. I'm pretty sure I got the same email.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
*Sigh* I know, I know. There's just something creepy about multinational technology corporations and citizens getting all cuddly as they threaten their democratically elected representitives.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:55 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
uhh, multinational technology corporations?
You mean like Nintendo, EA, and Microsoft?
Those ones who have been in support of SOPA since the very beginning?

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:30 AM
Banned
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I take some offense that you use the word retarded, jake. So many people on the internet just throw it around, as if it meant stupid. I hear people doing the same with autism. THEY ARE MENTAL DISORDERS! Not something random! I have autism and that doesn't mean I'm fucking stupid!

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM
Banned
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
If you're talking to me, Jake. I say do you know how fucking stupid it is? It's like how people reacted to girls and still do to bronies! Just because retards and autistics are mentally different than you DOESN'T MEAN they are stupid!

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:25 AM
Been here way too long...
Jacob was calling you stupid. If he meant to make fun of your autism, he would have made fun of your autism.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:29 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Jaykup wasn't even talking to him in the first place.

Everyone just needs to chill out, bro.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:30 AM
Banned
He made fun of retardation! It's not just about me, but he is making it sound as if retard = stupid. Since it and autism are mental disorders, he is making fun of people who can't help what they're born with!

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:31 AM
Been here way too long...
Well I was talking about his second post there, but yeah, he was definitely calling Ambient Malice slow.
Also Lord Shadow, "retard" means "slow in the head," so try not to refer to actually mentally challenged people as retards. That is an insult reserved for people who are just dumb.
Also retardation is not a mental disorder, what the fuck man. You are being way more offensive than anyone else here.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:35 AM
Banned
So now you're saying that retardation isn't a MENTAL problem? Mentallity is IN the head.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:36 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
You really need to calm down. This isn't really a great place to argue and get upset about this stuff. I know you're offended but still. This isn't going to get anywhere or end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.