Am I the only one who hates Itoh?

Jan 15, 2019 at 8:59 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
But yeah, Quote and Curly should be in Smash soon.
Agreed. I don’t care if they just end up being an assist trophy, I just want them in it.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:37 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
*Nods*
Back to the original subject...
I used to just turn Itoh into some lame character in my original mods, not like it wasn't a new experience for him... But now, I'm making a completely new game from Cave Story, so no Itoh at all.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:36 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Well, technically Itoh could still be alive at the end of the Normal/Best ending, since he is seen with Sue when trying to go back to being human. He is also with Momorin when they leave the island in a helicopter. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:42 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Itoh has become a rather popular character since 2014. After he turned human, he eventually manifested into physical form in the real world and became @BLink

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 12:07 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
In vanilla CS he says some dumb shit about some mushrooms and basically yeets out of existence Post-Labyrinth.
Jack gets a bad wrap for being a secondary character that gets in the player's way with a long winded dialogue that just won't stop and if you accidentally click him again Jack gets a bad wrap for being a secondary character that gets in the player's way with a long winded dialogue that just won't stop and if you accidentally click him again.

But he is also the one that tells us about Arthur's battle. How he stood against the red ogre and stopped him, protecting their village and driving it back before dying to the Doctor at some point later... That was a nice detail.

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:35 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Jack gets a bad wrap for being a secondary character that gets in the player's way with a long winded dialogue that just won't stop and if you accidentally click him again Jack gets a bad wrap for being a secondary character that gets in the player's way with a long winded dialogue that just won't stop and if you accidentally click him again.

But he is also the one that tells us about Arthur's battle. How he stood against the red ogre and stopped him, protecting their village and driving it back before dying to the Doctor at some point later... That was a nice detail.
It took me a second to realize you were making a joke in the first part, heh
But I feel that, that information could've easily been transferred by King, a guy who (iirc) feels he's not strong enough to protect Toroko and would try his hardest to his dying breath.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:00 AM
The worst character is clearly Jenka.

- She named her own daughter Misery FOR GOD'S SAKE.
- Did not protect Misery from bad influence.
- Didn't step in for her brother when he needed help.
- Sealed Ballos away and made him suffer even more instead of killing him.
- Made Quote look for bloody dogs just because.
- Failed to protect the key. I blame HER for Toroko's fate.
That =Life Pot=? It was merely an attempt to rectify the mistakes.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 2:27 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
smh my head jenka is the real antagonist of cave story

matpat get on this

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:24 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The worst character is clearly Jenka.

- She named her own daughter Misery FOR GOD'S SAKE.
- Did not protect Misery from bad influence.
- Didn't step in for her brother when he needed help.
- Sealed Ballos away and made him suffer even more instead of killing him.
- Made Quote look for bloody dogs just because.
- Failed to protect the key. I blame HER for Toroko's fate.
That =Life Pot=? It was merely an attempt to rectify the mistakes.
smh my head jenka is the real antagonist of cave story
I never looked at her that way, this could make an interesting mod if you think about it...

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:13 PM
When you put it that way.... yeah Jenka is a jerk.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:31 PM
War criminal
"I don't care what your intentions are, I'm not giving you the key!"

Oh, so I can't go in there and destroy the red flowers and their seeds to extinction? I can't go and incinerate them? I hope Balrog does take that key from you!

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:52 PM
lol
"I don't care what your intentions are, I'm not giving you the key!"

Oh, so I can't go in there and destroy the red flowers and their seeds to extinction? I can't go and incinerate them? I hope Balrog does take that key from you!
I can understand Jenka's worry since she's lived through every crown bearer, and I'm sure she's reluctant to even consider the topic.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:00 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
itd be even dumber of a decision for her to give such an important item to a person she doesn't know, let alone who has no proof that they had good intentions behind going into the warehouse that housed the red flower seeds.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:05 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
He's a robot. Who knows? He might want to use them to kill off the mimigas somehow, or it he were me, open it and forget what he was there for. Then he'd just go home and get some ice cream.

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:34 PM
lol
itd be even dumber of a decision for her to give such an important item to a person she doesn't know, let alone who has no proof that they had good intentions behind going into the warehouse that housed the red flower seeds.
Well said mate, she's already resentful of her daughter, Balrog, the Doctor, and possible every crown holder prior; so to give Jenka some credit, she's got the intention to be suspicious, plus, with her situation, she probably grieves for her brother Ballos to be okay, a topic that's not really explored in vanilla CS.

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:21 AM
Stoned Member
Satan grant me the power to understand this entire thread...

...If you want a more objective opinion:
Itoh isn't the worst written character in the game but he is far from the best, he serves as a side character in this case, much like Booster, but only exists for a brief period of time in a single quest. He is an important character to the lore nonetheless, if there's any characters you should hate with good reason, it'd be the antagonists of the story, as they are intentionally written to be people you couldn't show remorse for because of their actions, be it them murdering Arthur or sending you to the labyrinth to do their bidding.

If you want to say that Itoh is the worst character in the game, that is simply untrue, as there are much worse characters that exist within the story itself, and if you want to speak from it in terms of how they are designed, the villains are actually the best in the game, with the most fleshed out backstories of all of the characters. The island is small enough for Itoh to be able to trust someone, especially with the fact that the alleged letters on Quote's cap are from the language they speak on the surface (Presumably Japanese in this case) and thus would allow the humans to dictate that they are one in the same. That is why Kazuma and Booster are easily able to trust the player.

Antagonizing Jenka is a poor decision to make, considering she is the person with the most power over the island, next to the core and her brother, Ballos. She sent Quote on the fetch quest because Pixel needed to pad out the game to make it feel more open world when in reality it's very linear to dictate his ability, she likely very well knew of the location of each dog, and may have also known that Quote would come too. It is possible that Misery's birth name wasn't Misery, but her own chosen name, be it given to her by one of the Demon Crown bearers or otherwise. Giving monsters names levels them up, right? I saw that in an anime.

Less integral characters like Jack, Mahin, and King exist because well, a village isn't a village without people to live in it, would you much rather explore a desolate wasteland with nobody to talk to than a vibrant town with simple but memorable characters? Next time you make a joke thread make it more challenging to argue against.

Each character has their own ambitions, you need to take that into consideration.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:50 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
obviously jack went off to live in the universe of daily lives of highschool boys
proof:
p367875-0-unknown.png

p367875-1-unknown.png

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM
Ok your right. I shouldn’t say he’s the worst character, but just my personal least favorite. I tend to have strong opinions one way or another and think people will agree, when I’m really just the only one. The only reason I dislike him is because he’s just forgetable and kinda useless aside from the controller side quest, and unlike Jenka’s side quest, takes a minute or two to complete. I understand why people would like him, but I just don’t.

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:48 PM
lol
@Hax4Ever I'm sorry that this discussion wasn't as formal as you'd like it to be, people want to discuss something, and not just have a "be-all-end-all" statement; because it gives no room for a more factual discussion to develop, as many simply like to have a lighter discussion with some jokes like what Cyber said. We don't always have to discuss things like we're analyzing Shakespeare, that's what the majority of members are in school for, and that's why they play games, to get away from those kind of discussions; in-depth analyses of games are just a by-product of enjoying a game so much, but it just so happened that we didn't want to have that kind of conversation (at least as I try to speak for the majority here, I could be wrong of course, and please tell me if I am) and that we were more inclined on a more light-hearted one.

I'm sure there are people who'd like to hear what you have to say, and your view points were definitely well made and well developed. But I don't think this helps to further a conversation, it feels more like something that ends one; I think your argument would make a great youtube video about the in-depth analysis of CS characters, but in a forum thread, we simply weren't looking for that kind of conversation.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM
War criminal
Jade kills conversations, not a big surprise