Aim of life

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well I`m 26 and am thinking much and read much of the possible aim of life. There are many approaches present -some seem very different- to answer this question. You may highjack this thread or say there is no aim in life, or any guidelines whatsoever - that`s a response too. Is the aim and goodness in life must be found by the individual itself and if so must it be find in it`s entirety by him? I know I was a huge ignorant on the subject before I`ve read some really great books. My life was an emotional competitive turmoil before I discovered some basics. As gullible it may sound the aim and purpose of our lives must be centered around the principle of love. While acting on the lines of love I`ve turned many of my former enemies on my side and a much more harmonic, happy and successful life started out for me. The world is hungry for love - is somebody withholding from us the key of happiness or are we withholding it from ourselves? What should we do - if we should something - to harmonize ourselves. Are we not ready to change or just isn`t enough power to influence us. Is it more ethical to keep your thoughts a secret so others would discover that on their own, or can we share them on the lines of love? I`ve read some lines that part of our findings must be withheld and therefore veil them from the public. Whatever the answers to these questions are I guess that "love will find a way". You may hijack this thread or post your opinions. I know how "evil" I was before I`ve read some books that made me realized some things. Also constantly thinking about the subject of love I`ve made my own insights - those views I`ve discovered later at the works of many really really prestigious artists and authors. Now people and my patients love me quite much (I was considered the best and most kind doctor in the village I was working). I was searching all my life and was mislead by false ideas and interpretations - creating a turmoil in my life and hostility around myself. Now things have turned much brighter, the sun showed it`s first lights. Many of my beloved fellow researchers on this subject are less fortunate, although they seek constantly - on a wrong place. What is the answer to all of this? I wish the best for everybody that`s why I`m asking. If I interpret some of the texts I read right - some say one must "earn" to be initiated to some higher circle of being - or they must find it themselves? The previous sentence might sound ignorant or inaccurate since I don`t know practically nothing about these things. And if it should be "earned" how it`s to be done. There is always room for improvement. Hope again that "love will find a way" for me and my "fellow researchers" for our future development. Also any ideas, suggestions for the next steps, the above questions - or on how to conduct a "good" way of life are welcome here. PMs are also welcome. Hijacking this thread is also an answer.

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
My Personal Aim in life?
To bring happiness and make people feel like someoneelese feels and understands what your going through through the art of rapping.
Also to give people the happiness and joy of playing a game which I got playing many games. Cave Story really inspired me to move my career into this industry.
So yeah my aim on life is to bring happiness to other people through the power of Music and Multimedia :critter:

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well first off, I'm not sure why you put this in the spot; it's a very serious topic...

trickybilly said:
Is the aim and goodness in life must be found by the individual itself and if so must it be find in it`s entirety by him?
In part. People are different, and find meaning in different things (a prime example) and that's a good thing, because it means that everyone has their own special niche to fill in society. That being said, there are times when one might not be the best judge of the meaning of one's own life. For example, I'd be a bit skeptical of someone who said the meaning of their life is to be drunk every day of their life, or to kill everyone who disagrees with them, or to get the highest score ever in pacman.

As gullible it may sound the aim and purpose of our lives must be centered around the principle of love. While acting on the lines of love I`ve turned many of my former enemies on my side and a much more harmonic, happy and successful life started out for me. The world is hungry for love - is somebody withholding from us the key of happiness or are we withholding it from ourselves?
It doesn't sound gullible to me at all; in fact, I'd say you're absolutely right.

What should we do - if we should something - to harmonize ourselves. Are we not ready to change or just isn`t enough power to influence us.
Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this... explain?

Is it more ethical to keep your thoughts a secret so others would discover that on their own, or can we share them on the lines of love? I`ve read some lines that part of our findings must be withheld and therefore veil them from the public.
Eh, I would say, as a rule of thumb, it's better to share, at least with people you know fairly well, although it can be hard to sometimes, out of fear of looking silly. Generally better to overcome that fear, I'd say.

edit:
jethawk said:
So yeah my aim on life is to bring happiness to other people
this pretty much. Though I would change it to bring happiness to people in general, including yourself and others.

Also, you have to be careful how you define "happiness" (incidentally, my upcoming mod, The Paradise Project, is largely about this).

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:52 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I agree with Cheese, this doesn't belong in the SPOT. But anyhow...

I have a few different perspectives. First off, let me say that I am an individual who tries to view things as objectively as possible, placing a huge emphasis on removing as much bias from a stance or viewpoint. Now, I believe that any interpretative meaning on anything is simply man's attempt to rationalize the world around him. The world simply is what it is. Yet... even though I think this is valid, I choose to ignore it. I choose to work with (or around) the parameters and perceptions we've set up around ourselves. This is one of the only instances of ignorance I'll readily allow myself.

For me, I focus on trying to help people. There's not really any way to say this without sounding a bit arrogant, but I prefer to think I'm a pretty smart and capable guy. But, while I have a fair variety of skills, I have an unfortunate lack of motivation and inspiration. If the results only pertain to me, I find I'm content settling for just adequate work, doing only as much as I need to with the path of least resistance. But if it pertains to someone else, my efforts and standards rise greatly, whether it be making something or discussing something of interest or importance. I love lending out my ear for others to vent and rant to, adding in a few words of advice whenever possible. I get the most energetic and engaged when explaining something to someone else, especially when explaining important life topics (ethics and the sciences are some of my favorites). Cooperation, honesty, and the support of each other is the most surefire way to improve the welfare of everyone as a whole, and I'd be at so much ease if we could finally live in a world where this idea thrives. I don't care if life has no true meaning, I want people to be happy, and that's that.

tl;dr
To a large extent, I'm more interested in making sure others grow and succeed than I am for myself.

Or, um... at least I like to think so. ^.^;

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:46 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I make people laugh.
Because it's hard to be really upset if you're laughing.

I guess that's kind of my goal.

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM
Pirate Member
My goal in life? Good question. When I was a kid I only had dreams of grandeur and small delusions of what life is supposed to be, I looked at it from an idealistic approach. I imagined the future in a caricaturistic way. And it kept me happy. Sure, year after year I became more and more cynical and dead inside but it made me realise that fame and fortune won't bring you happiness. It's finding that one thing that you enjoy and doing it for the rest of your life. I'm still pondering what mine is, and probably there won't be a "Eureka!" moment, but still - it's there. And maybe I've known it my whole life.

My aim in life is to be happy. Happy as a person, whatever it takes. My view point will change after I have a family, I know this, but for now I can't really understand what it feels like.

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I know what you mean Man,
Just keep searching for it and you will find it one day :)

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM
graters gonna grate
Cripplechair said:
For me, I focus on trying to help people. There's not really any way to say this without sounding a bit arrogant, but I prefer to think I'm a pretty smart and capable guy. But, while I have a fair variety of skills, I have an unfortunate lack of motivation and inspiration. If the results only pertain to me, I find I'm content settling for just adequate work, doing only as much as I need to with the path of least resistance. But if it pertains to someone else, my efforts and standards rise greatly, whether it be making something or discussing something of interest or importance.

Oh man, I know that feeling all too well. It's amazing how much more diligent I become when someone else is counting on me :).

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Look, don't worry about it.

I don't think life doesn't have any concrete goals. You could argue that your goal is to get a good job and be happy, but I think those are more like goals imposed on people by society, as a social norm rather than an actual goal in life. I say do whatever the hell you like.

I think a general goal most people share is to achieve happiness. It's fair to say that's pretty fundamental really.

When it comes down to it, life isn't linear (Excuse me for having to use video game terminology to explain my point). Your goals are completely up to you. I don't think it's wise to spend to much time looking for a meaning of life.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM
Pirate Member
Because there isn't a universally absolute answer to the question "What is the meaning of life".

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

I've had some time to mull over this so I think I know what I'd like to try and say. My problem is that I'm a dreamer. I'm always thinking about what I want to do or the way I'd like things to be - not that I don't take any steps towards them, but having a lack of ambition/no real hunger for success doesn't mix very well with that. Neither, strangely enough, does confidence; I know what I'm capable or could be capable of, so I end up lacking in motivation to actually do any of it. Add an over-active imagination on top of all that and you're left with a classic case of someone who just thinks too much. I've always had trouble focussing on the here and now, and this is by far the biggest problem I have with my otherwise gifted sense of studiousness.

Other people have said they aim to make people happy/laugh. I focus a lot on this as well, but as a part of something bigger: I want to make people think and feel.

I'm getting my uni major (Bachelor of Science) in statistics, but I could have just as well gone into acting. I chose the former out of a desire to 'legitimise' myself; get a 'real' job, use my talents for something that has clear and definite social application, grow the fuck up etc. In my spare time, I want to channel my energies into various media, as a hobby. Video games are certainly one big thing, but I also want to write, draw, act, compose... get as many of the ideas I come up with out there as possible, so that other people can try thinking in a different way, learn something they didn't know, or even just have a quick laugh. Not because I want to be some kind of entertainment superstar (fuck celebrity life), but because that's how knowledge and ideas get spread, and how true creativity is encouraged. It feels almost like an obligation.

Entertainment and humour are a large part of this, because they're easy to do and they make people feel good, but sadness invokes empathy, which is what makes people think beyond themselves. This is what I've come to see as true maturity, in a social sense at least: selflessness. I don't mean being a saint, but rather being able to think in a way that produces ideas that are what's best, rather than what's best for one's self. I don't necessarily mean what's best for everybody either, because some people might not understand what they're trying to think about... or might just be sociopaths. This is a challenge for me, because I'm naturally a very self-centred person, so I feel like entertaining others also brings me closer to them and makes up for all the dumb things I do, if that makes any sense at all. Maybe objectivism is a better way of putting it, but that can get very cold and machine-like, even if I do want to believe that everything can be quantified.

So yeah, I want to make people consider the real world differently by creating imaginary things. I'm sure nothing will go wrong :awesomeface:

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM
Been here way too long...
Trickybilly must be great at parties.

Those of you who aren't familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs, familiarize yourself. Were talking about the top tier, which means all the lower ones need to be complete as well. Not RIGHT NOW (you don't need to be having sex right now, calm down (although if you are, awesome)), but in order to really get around to this whole "meaning of life" thing, yes, eventually. Now, it is possible to be content without the top tier, as long as you don't want to achieve it. Since DoubleThink's post is at the top of the page I'm on, I'll use 1984 as an example. The proletariat were fine and dandy, and they didn't have morality, creativity, or any of that stuff.

But we're not animals, so let's get where I'm going with this.

The meaning of life is happiness by self-fulfillment. That's obvious. But what is it? How do you obtain it?

The meaning of life, I think, can be better defined when you look at the meaning of death. If your life is like a work of art, then it only gains its full meaning when it's complete. Everyone's ultimate goal in life is to die happy, correct? You want to be able to reflect on your life and think, "I done a good job," then pass away, leaving behind whatever you chose to. For most people, it's what they leave behind after they're gone that defines their life, and so happiness, is to leave a legacy they can be proud of.
It could be beautiful paintings, or it could be a fertile piece of land for their sons. Anything at all.

As others in this thread have mentioned, a large part of happiness is making others happy. I don't mean everyone, like Jesus did, although if you die for all humanity's sins, you're probably self-fulfilled like a motherfucker. I mean specifically the people you love, because their memory of you is just as, if not more, important than what the rest of the world thinks. Again, I can't say this goes for everyone. Generalizing the meaning of life to "everyone" is... well, 42. It would lose its meaning.

So, I'll refrain from writing an entire essay on this, even though I probably could, because it wouldn't be a good essay. Why? Not much needs to be said. If you're looking for the meaning of life, think about your death. Not the sordid details, just the fact of it. I know it's not a nice thing to think about, which is good. Think about why you're afraid to die, and that will lead to to why you want to live.

To quote Escape Velocity Nova: "How do you prepare for death? Learn to live. How do you learn to live? Prepare for death."

I'm aware that quoting video games no one has heard of is extremely fucking cool, no need to remind me.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:13 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I wish I were as philosophical and right as you are

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM
graters gonna grate
Captain Fabulous said:
Think about why you're afraid to die, and that will lead to to why you want to live.

/thread

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:52 AM
I agree with Fab, but only sort of.
Sure, the goal of one's life is to end with a sense of fulfillment, but how many people honestly do that? Do you think Einstein died feeling fulfilled? Karl Marx? Henry Clay? I don't think it's even possible to be completely fulfilled. You can complete a few goals of your life, but to try and accomplish all of them is, honestly, a waste of your life. Yeah, it's kinda grim, yeah it's kinda depressing, but living your life with a list of goals you'll never achieve isn't a good way to live, in my opinion.

Anyway, what I said before was me in a nutshell, I guess. Making people laugh is easy to do, and it makes people happy. So that's what I do. Even if someone's having a shitty day, just one joke can set them straight. In a broader sense, I guess you could say in order to make myself happy, I make others happy. I mean, I guess I have all of those bottom levels filled out, so I'm a pretty happy guy myself.
No, I'm not saying that of I died tomorrow I'd be content, far from it. But it's nice to know that I didn't just mill around my entire life not having an effect on the people around me. Being able to impact another person's emotions is a powerful thing, a great thing, and that's how I make an impact in a time where I can't really change much else: high school. What other difference can you make during the middle of your formal education? I can't think of a better way to change what's around you than to make people laugh.
So yeah, I do that.

That's not saying I'm a total goof who's never serious about anything, either. I'm a very serious guy when it's necessary, that can be more important than making people happy.
I guess what I'm saying is that my aim in life is to make an emotional impact on everyone I can (in a good way of course), since emotions are personal, and you can't reach the top of the hierarchy of needs until your emotional needs are fulfilled.

Yeah I had a bunch more written but there was a family emergency and it got deleted and I had to write it over again ._.

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:55 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Wedge of Cheese said:
Not really :/ I'm afraid to die because when I die I'll be dead. I don't see how that's going to help me achieve a fulfilling life.

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:59 AM
I like Fab's quote, but it can't always apply.
I don't want to die right now because being alive is fun, and I want to keep doing it. Does that make my goal in life to be alive?
Because that makes me one accomplished motherfucker

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:33 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I'm just gonna say it now, it's extremely comforting to see that some people still have the ability think critically of the world around themselves and be able to give a synopsis with some decent content. Give yourselves a good pat on the back for me, because this sort of discussion is very reassuring. We need more people in the world to be thinkers.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:11 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'm absolutely in love with this thread
I could totally echo everything Fab and Desu said again but that would be a waste of space so just read that and I'll contribute some (slightly) new stuff here

Ok so getting motivated is probably one of the biggest obstacles I deal with, and like every day. It used to be stuff I had no interest in, but even now, with things that I could really see a future in, I have to work really hard to start doing something, and that start up and then reflecting on my work (usually art, although it can be writing sometimes I guess), leaves me sort of empty, like I've gotten nowhere. Of course, when I do actually do something I like, it fills me with a lot of joy, naturally, but I think it might be more than normal because normally it's just a void.
Speaking of that void thing I swear being unmotivated and just sitting around eventually works its way into this buzz in the air, and I get like panicky, and going outside and doing shit isn't an option because honestly I hate crowds of people and fuck that shit. Although riding my bike can sometimes be ok idk. Anyway, just sitting around bumming around, which I love doing because lack of motivation, can become stressful at times o.o

Anyway enough of that depression bullshit a few of the things that really makes me feel fulfilled in life are: music, art, and philanthropy.
Seriously helping people is like one of my favourite things to do, and sometimes it can be weird because I feel grateful to people for letting me help them even though it's supposed to be the other way around apparently (I certainly don't feel that way)? Anyway, yeah, helping people find fulfillment in life is one of the most fulfilling things in life.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
My purpose in life? Well, I've always strived to be "that guy you can come to when life just isn't working out." or "that guy that doesn't judge you because of things you've done or do, and just likes you because you're you." Now, I know you guys are thinking everything I'm going to say in this post is bullshit based on things I've posted in this forum, but it's not. Believe it or not, I'm an intelligent individual, I DO have a life, and I'm NOT a total ass. Personally, I'm not the kind of guy who goes out looking for friends. I feel the best way to make friends is to make yourself known and let the friends come to you. If they come to you, it's more than likely they will be a true friend. One that you can depend on. Sure, that means alot of my friends are the "nerdy guy" or the "socially awkward guy", but that doesn't matter to me. Status symbols are bullshit. My aim in life is to be the best friend I can be, and to have alot of friends. To make my friends happy. Make them laugh when the chips are down. Let them know that everything's gonna work out, and that I'll be with them every step of the way. The same applies to girlfriends. Yeah, I've only had two or three in my life, and my last was two or three years ago, but that's fine. I'd rather wait it out for the one who's perfect for me than have to fight through a million shitty relationships.

So yeah, that's the real me in a nutshell. Sure, I rambled on a bit, but this thread was created for this kind of thing after all. Hopefully some of you share my views.