Ah... the joys of object oriented programming...

May 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
...which allowed me to create this game.

It's a *.jar file rather than an *.exe so as long as you have Java it will work.

Arrow keys to move, space to shoot and to respawn when you're dead.

Right now it isn't much, but I'll probably keep improving on it and posting updates here.

May 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
When I tried to start this (Using Open With... --> Java Web Starter), I got a 'Launch File Error- The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>'.

Forgive me for posting a potentially noobish post... I really wanted to try this out, though.

May 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM
graters gonna grate
Hmm... I'm really not sure what's wrong; I'm not really an expert on all the nitty-gritty setup details of Java, sorry. Did you try just double-clicking on it normally without saying "open with..."?

May 22, 2009 at 5:52 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I haven't set the .jar extension to any program, so double-clicking it just results in the "unknown file type" message below-

Code:
Windows cannot open this file:

File: shooter.jar

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows
can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a
list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?
O Use the Web service to find the appropriate program [COLOR="Blue"](Says WinZip can open it)[/COLOR]
O Select the program from a list [COLOR="Blue"](Does the same thing as 'Open With...')[/COLOR]
[OK] [Cancel]
If it matters, I'm also using at least one of two older versions of Java; v1.5.0 and/or v1.4.2... I'm not sure if both versions of it can coexist simultaneously, but they didn't seem to affect each other (I installed v1.4.2 in order to play Dungeon Master Java, v1.5.0 was preinstalled on my laptop).

*After looking around in the Java directories & scanning files with XVI32*

Do I need a seperate .jnlp type of file to open it? While I was looking through the folder directory of another java game I downloaded years ago (Dungeon4K), I had a feeling this might be the case, but maybe not.
(Hmmm, I wonder what'll happen if I try renaming shooter.jar to one of the Dungeon4K .jar files? Nah, maybe that's too dangerous...)

May 26, 2009 at 1:42 PM
graters gonna grate
Hmmm... I'm not sure, but you might need a newer version of Java. I'm pretty sure the new version automatically sets your computer to open *.jar files with the correct program when you install it.