Adventure Kid 2

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Download the game here: http://www.mediafire.com/?etkzs5ee4wwwqm9"]Adventure Kid 2[/url]

This game is compatible with Windows 98/NT/2000/ME/XP/Vista/7

Due to the amount of praise the first Adventure Kid got, as well as even requests for me to release the sequel, here I present Adventure Kid 2, the sequel to Adventure Kid. I can't remember whether this game was a result of boredom, or the lack of desire to work on what ever projects I had going on that day, but whatever the case, one day when I was thirteen years old, I decided to fiddle around with Adventure Kid, a game that had been completed for almost three years. Then I decided I'd go ahead and make an Adventure Kid 2 because in a sound byte that I included in the original Adventure Kid that was removed in the version that I distributed here, I DID promise that I would eventually make an adventure Kid 2 and Adventure Kid 3.

For those of you wondering, this game was actually developed over the course of one single day. That's right, one day. Most of it wasn't so much making new levels and stuff, as it was fixing glitches present from the first Adventure Kid, as this sequel uses the same game engine as the original, but with some glitches fixed. At the time when I was thirteen, I felt like I was tidying everything up pretty well, but looking back, I still see more imperfection. Nonetheless, I did optimize a bunch of code whose repetition and inefficiency made me cringe, and generally removed a LOT of unnecessary stuff that was just making the exe bigger. For example: there was a blank object that I had in every room. (in Game Maker, think of objects as what we call entities in CS modding) When looking at that object's properties, it served no purpose whatsoever, and removing it did not have any consequences at all. Ironically enough though, the object was called "what I need".

Anyway, there are some new levels, and this second game is harder than the first. If I were to go back and change something, I would've made the game longer, but oh well.
This download is the original version that has not been modified in any way since I was thirteen aside from once again censoring a small bit that show my last name, as I'm not going to disclose that to people on the internet for at least another two years.

Hope you enjoy this game as much as you did the first one!

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Really hard, i always either get game over or get stuck in a platform on the level with the black background and scrolling.
EDIT:Also whats the title song?

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Based Member
liammillay said:
Really hard, i always either get game over or get stuck in a platform on the level with the black background and scrolling.
Yeah, a bit of a change of pace. For the first Adventure Kid, I received a complaint that it was too easy, so now I present you with a challenge.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
This game is compatible with Windows 98/NT/2000/ME/XP/Vista/7
I just tried this on my windows98 VM and it won't run because it requires DirectX8 or higher

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Based Member
Noxid said:
I just tried this on my windows98 VM and it won't run because it requires DirectX8 or higher
Oh holy crap, thanks for pointing that out. Just tried it, and it didn't work on our old Windows 98 computer. Before I update the OP though, you say the error message you got was that it didn't have DirectX 8? Windows 98 is compatible with as late as DirectX 9.0c. The error message I got was that the file appeared to be corrupted, and not that I was running too early a version of DirectX.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well I didn't have D3D8.DLL
and it was too much effort to look for a dx install

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Based Member
Dec 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
"Huzzah!"
Ya know, this game is so simple, yet it just has so much character. It's so bad it's good, which actually makes it not bad, which is cool. I really wish more than ever that I could find my old games now, but I think they were on floppy disks and they've been thrown away or lost. I don't even have a floppy drive anymore so I couldn't access them anyway (though there are some pretty cheap USB floppy drives now), and I'd have to save them through a few previous versions of Game Maker to get them up to date so they would run on Vista and Win7, but they would probably have some errors because going from a pre-GM4.1 to GM 8.1 is bound to cause problems. The earliest games I have found are from 2001, which puts me at age 13, but I don't have the editable versions of them. The earliest editable versions I have found are from 2005. I was such an idiot not to preserve all my games! My advice: Keep these Adventure Kid games FOREVER.

Anyway, I had to run this as administrator to get it to run. Kinda weird. I have Windows 7 64-bit. Thanks for sharing this stuff! It's like playing some of my long lost games. If you've got any more, I'd love to see them.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Based Member
FrozenFire said:
Ya know, this game is so simple, yet it just has so much character. It's so bad it's good, which actually makes it not bad, which is cool.
Thanks! I think.
FrozenFire said:
I really wish more than ever that I could find my old games now, but I think they were on floppy disks and they've been thrown away or lost. I don't even have a floppy drive anymore so I couldn't access them anyway (though there are some pretty cheap USB floppy drives now), and I'd have to save them through a few previous versions of Game Maker to get them up to date so they would run on Vista and Win7, but they would probably have some errors because going from a pre-GM4.1 to GM 8.1 is bound to cause problems. The earliest games I have found are from 2001, which puts me at age 13, but I don't have the editable versions of them. The earliest editable versions I have found are from 2005. I was such an idiot not to preserve all my games!
That's sad... I'm glad that I've so far in my life not had too severe of a file loss, and also that I got an external hard drive for my brithday.
FrozenFire said:
My advice: Keep these Adventure Kid games FOREVER.
Thank you, that is spectacular advice.
FrozenFire said:
Anyway, I had to run this as administrator to get it to run. Kinda weird. I have Windows 7 64-bit.
Odd. I didn't encounter that on my Windows 7 64-bit computer.
FrozenFire said:
Thanks for sharing this stuff! It's like playing some of my long lost games.
You're welcome! Glad this does that for you!
FrozenFire said:
If you've got any more, I'd love to see them.
Heh. I guess there is one more thing that I did in Game Maker that's big enough to have its own thread dedicated to it, though it is even more recent than this, but since I set a deadline for it, I had to leave some glitches in it, and so it had that glitchy flare that Adventure Kid had. Seeing the warm reception the Adventure Kid franchise is getting, maybe I'll post it here at some point. There are several smaller things (tests, proof-of-concepts, etc.) that me and my brother did. It would be kinda silly to make a thread for those, but if you want, I can VM you a pack of these small little things me and my brother did in game maker and see if it makes you reminisce even more of your early days with Game Maker.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM
"Huzzah!"
HaydenStudios said:
... if you want, I can VM you a pack of these small little things me and my brother did in game maker and see if it makes you reminisce even more of your early days with Game Maker.
If it's no trouble, that might be cool. But it's really no big deal if you don't. Btw, I found a few of my old Game Maker games, but not my oldest ones. I once made a paper boy game that I called "Paper Kid", a couple platformers too, one being super awesome in atmosphere. It was based off of Jazz Jackrabbit's Tubelectric stages and I really miss it, but I don't even remember what I called it. The other platformer was called "Sloppy", because you were some kind of blob with legs, and it was totally like Mario, but it was actually pretty awesome and you could gain special abilities from question blocks as well as get loads of coins. I also made a game based off of Chips Challenge. Those are the only ones I remember, but they all seem to be long gone; nothing but a memory now. I've still got a couple from when I was 13 that I might post myself, but for now I just put up a game I made when I was about 16 or something.

I think I already said this, but I'd really like to see what you can do with Game Maker now that you are older and more experienced.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
FrozenFire said:
Ya know, this game is so simple, yet it just has so much character. It's so bad it's good, which actually makes it not bad, which is cool. I really wish more than ever that I could find my old games now, but I think they were on floppy disks and they've been thrown away or lost. I don't even have a floppy drive anymore so I couldn't access them anyway (though there are some pretty cheap USB floppy drives now), and I'd have to save them through a few previous versions of Game Maker to get them up to date so they would run on Vista and Win7, but they would probably have some errors because going from a pre-GM4.1 to GM 8.1 is bound to cause problems. The earliest games I have found are from 2001, which puts me at age 13, but I don't have the editable versions of them. The earliest editable versions I have found are from 2005. I was such an idiot not to preserve all my games! My advice: Keep these Adventure Kid games FOREVER.

Anyway, I had to run this as administrator to get it to run. Kinda weird. I have Windows 7 64-bit. Thanks for sharing this stuff! It's like playing some of my long lost games. If you've got any more, I'd love to see them.
That story reminds me of a game i was making in game maker in 2010 called grassfields, i had finished 2 demos of it, and had gotten way farther into making it when my laptop stopped working, and then the computer company that was trying to fix it LOST THE HARD DRIVE. I was really furious, especially since grassfields was actually somewhat good. That story also reminds me of 7(i think?) games i had made in september 2009, i still have them on CD(And one on yoyogames), but i can't FIND the cd..
Also HaydenStudios whats the title song?

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Based Member
FrozenFire said:
I think I already said this, but I'd really like to see what you can do with Game Maker now that you are older and more experienced.
Actually, I don't think you said that earlier. There is another piece of work I did that I consider recent, but I guess by now it's about a year-and-a-half old. It isn't that great, but it was okay I guess. I'm considering posting it here eventually. I don't really plan on any Game Maker projects in the future save possibly for and Adventure Kid 3 that I probably won't start working on until I have waaaaaaaay too much free time and don't have any projects going on. Even then, I'll probably keep the glitchy game engine more or less as it is. Really the only thing I have done game design wise that I finished after my perfectionist traits were more developed, were the mods linked in my signature. And I also have two other mods planned that I hope I can get done before I get too far into my adulthood.
liammillay said:
Also HaydenStudios whats the title song?
The theme song to a show me and my family used to watch called The Office.