Administration needs

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:56 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Noxid seems to fit the role perfectly. Just make him a mod and get it over with.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I hope S. P. doesn't turn out to be one of those guys who comes on this forum and starts Banning people like CRAZY because he isn't wanted...:(

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:10 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Malpercio
•is online often - every damn day.
•can and will enforce the rules - hell yeah.
•is as close to unbaised as possible - being a newfag helps here.
•will listen to and take into account the opinions of the other members of this forum - people who dont get all possible input are making a whole decision on half a logical process imo
•is not a dickhead - self evident amirite?

so, Malpercio for new staff position! Vote today!

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM
Pirate Member
But you came here two months ago...!

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I could do it, and I've been around longer than most of you.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM
Pirate Member
Oh shit forgot about GIR.

Can't both of them be moderators? Since GIR is also active on the irc

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM
graters gonna grate
Yeah, there's no reason we have to appoint only one new mod. I mean SP, andwhy, and DT have all complained at some point of being overworked by their moderating duties, so having 2 or 3 new mods might lighten the burden for each one a bit.

So if I'm hearing correctly, the list of candidates so far is Noxid, Gir, Shadow, Malpercio, and myself? I think cultr1 should be a candidate too; he seems relatively passionate about the forums, he knows when to have a good time and when to be serious, and this whole thread was of his creation too.

And about the whole explaining thing, I suppose people are entitled to moderate as they see fit (within reason), but suffice it to say that, if I become a moderator, I will do my best to explain all of my decisions at least minimally. If it blows up in my face, then you can all laugh at me and say "I told you so," but, until then, I'm sticking to my guns, just not firing them.

If we're going to have more than 1 new mod, perhaps that should be reflected in the voting process. Maybe allow people to vote for 1, 2, or 3 candidates or have a system like the one used in the Hell Mod Contest. If we want to preserve anonymity like explosive says, votes could be PMed to DT.

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Pirate Member
In that case one's just fine.

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:14 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
MAKE ALL CANDIDATES MODS *shot*

I think that more than 1 mod should definitely be added. Almost a "new generation" of mods, if you will. On another forum I'm on, it's creator and her husband (irl) left the forum, and so adminship was put into question. So two new people were elected to adminship, and still are to this day. The forum is about the same size as this one in the number of people (but highly lacking in activity) so I think 2 mods, without question, is the best idea.

Edit: Oh, and not to pick on Gir, but admins don't need to be picked just on length of time on the forum. The other forum I'm on I've been on since around 2005-2006, yet members who joined years after me became mods/admins, whereas I'm still a regular user. (I sadface everywhere. ;_; )

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM
graters gonna grate
Shadow the Past said:
MAKE ALL CANDIDATES MODS *shot*
Rofl :( Though if you voted for everybody it would basically be the same as voting for nobody.

StP said:
I think that more than 1 mod should definitely be added. Almost a "new generation" of mods, if you will. On another forum I'm on, it's creator and her husband (irl) left the forum, and so adminship was put into question. So two new people were elected to adminship, and still are to this day. The forum is about the same size as this one in the number of people (but highly lacking in activity) so I think 2 mods, without question, is the best idea.
Agreed.

StP said:
Edit: Oh, and not to pick on Gir, but admins don't need to be picked just on length of time on the forum. The other forum I'm on I've been on since around 2005-2006, yet members who joined years after me became mods/admins, whereas I'm still a regular user. (I sadface everywhere. ;_; )
Well, there is something to be said for seniority, though of course there will be many other factors affecting one's aptitude for moderatorhood. For one thing, someone who has been around a while is less likely to leave. There are tons and tons of people on MiraiGamer who were active for a few months and then became inactive. Of course, as a moderator, one would hopefully be less likely to do this, but it's still something to consider.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:16 AM
Wedge of Cheese said:
Well, there is something to be said for seniority, though of course there will be many other factors affecting one's aptitude for moderatorhood. For one thing, someone who has been around a while is less likely to leave. There are tons and tons of people on MiraiGamer who were active for a few months and then became inactive. Of course, as a moderator, one would hopefully be less likely to do this, but it's still something to consider.

Well, if one became an admoderator, they would obviously be bound to stay on the forums for at least a considerable number of months. If mods were to leave/become inactive, a newnew generation could be elected.

Seniority could potentially lead to a person wanting to leave more than a newcomer who has much to give. Most people lose interest in giving anything to the community, usually due to the person "growing up" or due to the community evolving into something they don't like. (I'm sure SP can relate.)

This is my unimportant opinion.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:33 AM
DoubleThink said:
I'd prefer it if the new mods were from at least 2009 :|

*shot*

Not like I would've been administraturrrrrrrrrd anyway.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM
Been here way too long...
JakeXanth said:
Man, I've been around since 2007. Give me the title of village idiot.
No, we have bestowed too many honors upon you already.
Just make Noxid a mod and get it over with. We haven't needed much moderation since S. P. quit, so maybe that trend will continue.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:48 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
better yet: make fab a mod
*blown up*
also, what if all of a sudden, there's a whole lot more moderation need the second we finally pick one or two people?

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:05 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
Just make Noxid and Gir mods and get it over with.

Fix'd with a seal of approval.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
i don't feel like reading this whole thread so i dunno what you guys have decided yet, if anything, but i would suggest Noxid and/or GIR for a variety of reasons. They both practically act like you'd expect a really good admin to act, and do so much to keep this place alive, they help people, they make stuff, they're intelligent and kind and fair and don't get in fights or drama at all. There would be no better choice in my eyes, if you need a new staff member.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
for the lulz I suggest Kage.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM
/end
Landonpeanut said:
I think you must have just not noticed all the moderating SP did. Besides, I don't think that the forums should be ruled under a dictatorship, I'm perfectly happy with how DT has been moderating.

I was around long enough to see everything SP did from his time as a Mod and his time as an Admin. While he isn't a bad staff member, he didn't do as much as he could. Which is understandable even the nature of most members around here.

And I didn't say a dictatorship. I disagree with with hardass moderating, but to be a mod you have to know when to use a soft hand and when to use a hard hand since sometimes it takes a gentle tap to keep a member in check, and sometimes you need a hard slap up side the head so they stop acting a fool. You need a good balance of both to be a good mod/admin, most of our staff members however mostly use a soft hand, rarely using a hard hand only using it when things get so impossibly out of control it's the only thing that works. When with a hard hand before the event happened it would have never happened.

And while people who have never really moderated before isn't a bad thing since there is a first time for everyone and you have to learn sometime, there needs to be someone who has experience enough to guide them. There needs to be things such as a moderation guideline (Since moderating is part enforcing the rules and part going by your own opinion of either being soft or harsh) and an infraction system set up since it's the best way to warn members.

This may be a small forum, but it still needs the same things as big forums. The only difference is the number of staff needed.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
To be quite honest it is better to start a user off as a moderator and then when you are reasonably confident that that person is ready to take on the role of administrator then make it so. Don't skip straight to the admin position.

How about Noxid and Gir for Moderator (judging from the thread so far) and DT for Admin (assuming he wants the position)?