Adjectivenoun - MMO recommendations maybe?

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Most mmo games that I have played are horrible. Just straight up horrible. WOW is a decent game because it plays like a normal RPG, which means it isn't a point and click game. I personally don't own it, but a friend does, and I have seen him play it.

Another one that most dont consider an MMO is Minecraft. In multiplayer there are some servers with thousands of player on at one time. Plus there are servers dedicated to being like normal MMOs. In fact, many minecraft servers combine the elements that are common in MMOs: Factions/guilds, chat box (duh,) action, and economies with auctions, shops, and trades.

The Lord of the Rings MMO is pretty fun, but it has dated graphics and buggy gameplay.

Knights of the Old Republic: fun, but pointless after a while.

Runescape: don't even go there. Seriously, bots have destroyed the game.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Goodness! I've had this reply ready for more than half a week, but decided not to post it in order to test something out. And good thing, too! Had I posted it before trying I probably would have disappointed someone. There goes my secret plans. :/
Most mmo games that I have played are horrible. Just straight up horrible.
Then maybe you should play some good ones?~ ;)

There are a lot of good games described here for your playing pleasure! As for multiplayer Minecraft, I see your reasoning for it kinda being an MMO.

Teamwork in Tera is very much centered around the tank/DPS/healer dynamic. The maximum party size is 5. To complete a dungeon you're properly leveled for, you need one tank (Lancer, Warrior), one healer (Priest, Mystic), and three DPS chums (Berserker, Slayer, Archer, Sorcerer). You can get away with having two healers or two tanks, but god help you if you can't find one.
For BAMs, you need to be a skilled player and not a Sorcerer if you want to solo them. If your character is weak, or you are weak, get a tank or healer to help you.
And for regular quests and beating up normal monsters, teamwork is not required, but is still fun. You don't need to tank or anything like that; just beat the fuck out of everything.
Now, my personal experience with team play is limited to the Priest's perspective, but it's a lot more fun than you'd expect healing everybody all the time to be. Using healing or buffing spells requires you to actually aim them at your target or get close enough for the AoE, both difficult tasks when your party is dodging around a 50-foot centaur lizard. It's also important to not get hit or even draw the enemy's attention, since time and mana spent fighting it off equals time and mana not spent on making sure everyone's alive.
For DPS characters, it seems to be a similar deal, but you're aiming at a monster instead of teammates. Tanks need to do everything they can to distract and hold the monsters' attention, while everyone else stays the fuck out of the danger zone.
The bottom line is that it's more involved and action-y than any other MMO I've played. Teamwork truly makes you rely on your party and help them in return, instead of just casting magic missile while they cast magic missile.
As for cross-level play, there's ways to make it work. Having a level difference greater than 5 in a party greatly reduces loot and experience gains, but we don't have to be in a party. Having a level 50 priest around would be incredibly helpful with BAMs (and PvP if you choose to play on a PvP server, but I'm guessing you won't), and I can also teleport you around and pay for pegasus rides. Another option is for me to just make a new character, which sounds better. Otherwise I can't help you with grinding and dungeons. I've never tried any other classes, so now's a good time to do that.
Thank you for the very detailed explanation! I figured it had to do with Tank/Healer/Attacker, but your in-depth post was quite enlightening. :D

The whole Tank/DPS/Healer dynamic and need for teamwork always struck me as complicated and scary, but then most things seem complicated and scary to me at first. Looks like it's much simpler and more fun than I thought. :3

I actually made an account and tried it because I kind of wanted to play as well, and maybe surprise you with a human priest to help. Unfortunately, the computer I stoleborrowed under shaky agreements has a healthy amount of space and a fair internet connection, but quite the lack of RAM. Even with some of the lowest video options possible it lagged a bit too much to play effectively, though it was the stable and dependable sort of lag. I could probably sorta play but it detracts from the experience a little and generally it isn't a good idea. At least I have the account if I want to use it in the future with a better computer, though!

Also, it really is beautiful even on some of the lowest settings. The sparse character customization kinda surprised me, though I've heard humans have the least variety.

I chose an archer to try out. If we do decide to play all together, maybe we should create characters that form a good team together naturally? Guess it depends on whether you want to tank or not though.
Wish I could join you with a healer. :<

How much progress have you made, if any?

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm at level 32. If you wanna play together I'll probably be making a reaper once I hit level 40, so I can start over at level 1 with you if you want.
Or I could just start a new character. Doesn't really matter.

I'm on the tempest reach server though.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I like Final Fantasy 14 a lot. So that's a recommendation.

It's got a big team work thing going, where if you and your team can't fill their roles properly then you'll die repeatedly. There's a fair amount of skill required as the game goes on and I like all of the higher level stuff. People tend to be pretty nice too generally.

If you google it there is a benchmark that will tell you how good your computer is with it and a 2 week free trail. Also If your computer isn't very good there is a PS3 edition.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Doors said:
I'm at level 32. If you wanna play together I'll probably be making a reaper once I hit level 40, so I can start over at level 1 with you if you want.
Or I could just start a new character. Doesn't really matter.
I'm on the tempest reach server though.
I'm sorry, I know this reply is pretty late...goodness, what's with me in this regard? Replying to things is fun, why can't I be more punctual? But anyway, I just don't think it would work out on my end, it's just way too slow and I was pushing my luck trying it as it is...

I'm actually saving money for a laptop of my own, though I'm not sure if one bought with ~$400 (my rough, unresearched goal) would be good enough to play it even decently. I'll have to look around, but that's a topic for another day. I'm mostly getting it for less intensive things, anyway...

Thank you very much for your offer and the one sort of made by Fab!!I appreciate it very much and I wish I could reciprocate. Also, I probably should have figured you would be gunning for a Reaper. =o

HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I like Final Fantasy 14 a lot. So that's a recommendation.
It's got a big team work thing going, where if you and your team can't fill their roles properly then you'll die repeatedly. There's a fair amount of skill required as the game goes on and I like all of the higher level stuff. People tend to be pretty nice too generally.
If you google it there is a benchmark that will tell you how good your computer is with it and a 2 week free trail. Also If your computer isn't very good there is a PS3 edition.
I like the Final Fantasy series a lot, so I at least know what all of the things in XIV are! Well, kind of - XI's classes are much more familiar. It does seem pretty fun, though!

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
you could definitely play runescape on a 400 dollar laptop

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Professional Whatever
Yes we should all play runescape and terrorize the economy

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I could definitely play Minecraft or Iji or Nothing or Yume Nikki any other array of games and have more fun from it, too. -w-

At any rate, we'd never do a better job compared to the bots. =o

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Been here way too long...
Polaris said:
Minecraft
Polaris said:
Yume Nikki
Polaris said:
Hee hee.

Seriously though, a $400 laptop won't be able to handle Tera any better than your current computer. You'll have to spend twice that much if you want to play real video games. Or you could save that money for more important things and just play low-end games; that's what I do.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Now, a $400 graphics card on the other hand...

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I...don't have a good sense of value and how much things cost. $400 is still an unimaginable amount to me, even though I currently have about $250 saved up. ._.
I'm not sure of how my mind works.

But anyway, I don't really want to spend massive amounts of money for a computer, I just want a decent one to do things that I can't on my phone with. Trying Tera was mostly an experiment to see if it worked. It didn't, and that's fine. All of my favorite games are low-end anyway!

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:06 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
value of money is a very relative thing. For me, to spend 400 dollars on a computer, I might as well just burn the money and buy a box of potatoes. But I'd also consider spending more than $1200 to be excessive.

then again, all said I think that's how much has gone into my current box all upgrades included, but that's spread over like 4 years.

My first laptop was like 3-hundo though and that lasted me a good few years. Maybe 3. Couldn't play 1080p youtube videos though.
What I'm getting at is, I don't really have anything to contribute but I still feel like typing. So have fun buying a computer.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
enough to own half of lithuania, I imagine

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
Got my laptop for about $600. It was a decent price for the specs:
Intel i5
8 gigs RAM
Crappy integrated graphics
1 TB hard drive
DVD player.

It plays most games that I try to run on medium to high graphics settings.