A suggestion: Mod Development Section

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Edit: Oh yer. Thanks SP. Hope this works...
----
Oh hey thar.

Well, I suppose the fact that it is real now makes this thread rather pointless.

Lock? (Otherwise this may degrade into a flamewar or something equally stupid.)

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cyowolf1122 said:
Lock? (Otherwise this may degrade into a flamewar or something equally stupid.)

No, because it should be still here for let the users post their opinion of the section.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
EDIT: oh lol nevermind

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If it doesn't work then it can be taken away. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd like to say thanks for at least giving it a chance.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
@WoodenRat
That was part of the point of creating it, to be honest. To encourage new members to be more active and less afraid. :p

Cuz, in case no one had noticed, there isn't much else if you're new here.

Well, it would act as a new source of ideas for people, so true, someone may think up it, but never use it, that doesn't mean someone else could. |D Who knows, this could serve as a source of inspiration for even our veteran modders. Just saying.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:36 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Question to you all:

Should I post what I consider a good idea in search of enough people to make it work even with my laziness, lack of ability/experience, and lack of free time? Hell, I'd go for it if anyone else would.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM
Been here way too long...
I don't see why not, good fire.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:06 PM
Banned
I guess I'll spend the day getting both of the threads typed up. Anyone want to help with that?

Edit: done.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Hoxtilicious
Okay we have a problem here.

The Hack/Mod Idea section is for general ideas. It wasn't meant to be a section for mod development, because normally people used to post a mod development thread in the Hack/Mod Showcase section.

The Hack/Mod Idea section was meant as a section for people who just have ideas, so that they don't have to post them in the Hack/Mod Showcase sections "Random Idea Topic of Doom" thread. The Idea section was for general ideas, not for ideas, concepts or something for a specific (your) mod, because then it would be a mod development thread (you showcase the ideas/plot/concepts of your mod). It is also for ideas for a mod (not a mod in development or a mod which will be in development soon).

We have a problem now: I don't want to have mod development threads in the Ideas section, because this is just for general ideas. I could offer to open a development section. The problem is that we would have another section then. I don't like deleting the Mod/Hack Idea section, because then people will complain again that they have to post their ideas in that Doom Topic and I don't like to see to get a new section or the showcase section flooded with idea topics.

However; Most people used to post development threads in the showcase section. So opening a development section would lead to move these threads. The problem is that showcasing and development is mixed in the showcase section, that's a really huge problem. You can have a section for "starting" a new mod. But I fear that the showcase section will be too much mixed with it. I made those rules of posting atleast a screenshot or a demo, so that most threads will atleast have something that people can look at or play, in order to get more finished mods and hacks. I didn't care when they used these threads as development threads too.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I think that we can make this work, we just need to improve the definition of what belongs in what section.

The original issue was with those threads like what DB and cultr1 had. They didn't make the cut for mod showcase, so basically they have no place to go. What I think the majority of those who pushed the movement wanted was a section... where these could go. You could call them development threads or conceptual threads or I don't know what. Ideas?

for mod showcase, it makes sense that you should have some kind of mod, to show.

I think that maybe having the ideas section, just for general ideas, is too limiting. Broaden the scope of the section and maybe call it something different?

Anyway, the biggest problem I can see is a lack of understanding between the two parties here.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM
Banned
Apparently it's that I used the word "developing" and SP thinks that means I'm making progress on a mod.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
Noxid said:
I think that maybe having the ideas section, just for general ideas, is too limiting. Broaden the scope of the section and maybe call it something different?

Tell me a good name and concept then. And we will solve this problem together.

Noxid said:
Anyway, the biggest problem I can see is a lack of understanding between the two parties here.

I agree.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
@SP: Well, what are people supposed to do when they want to have discussion specific to one mod, but they don't have demo/screenshots yet? Like what Boots did, or what Fire did, or what I was contemplating doing with The Paradise Project. Cause it sounds to me like the whole point of creating this other section was so that things like that could exist without breaking the rules. There really does need to be some way for people to do that without breaking the rules. Either change the rules of one of the two existing sections or make a new section (I recommend the former; changing the rules of the idea section).

Also, if you didn't want the idea section to be about specific mods, what DO you want it to be about? Did you just want like an expanded version of the random ideas o' doom topic? Cause from what I've seen of that thread, none of the ideas EVER go anywhere, so it's kinda pointless to make a whole subforum for that sort of thing.

Noxid said:
Quoted for truth.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:54 PM
I already suggested the name by "Mod Ideas and Development", which seems to suit the purpose better.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:57 PM
Hoxtilicious
Lace said:
I already suggested the name by "Mod Ideas and Development", which seems to suit the purpose better.

Allright.

Fire1052 said:
Apparently it's that I used the word "developing" and SP thinks that means I'm making progress on a mod.

Calm down dude and give it a rest.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:01 PM
So you're going to unlock Fire's thread, rename and repurpose?
Cool.

Does this mean that the other two threads will be moved and unlocked too?
Sweet.

Thanks man, I'll remember that reasoning works better than yelling next time.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM
Banned
Lace said:
So you're going to unlock Fire's thread, rename and repurpose?
Cool.

Does this mean that the other two threads will be moved and unlocked too?
Sweet.

Thanks man, I'll remember that reasoning works better than yelling next time.

Lace... Mah boi...

You showed up an hour and a half late. It was all fine until he raged for a good few minutes and went silent. Several times.