A Lost Land

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
And then I ninja away

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The level 2 blade can take him down in around 5-10 seconds, due to it's massive damage output.

The question is, why WOULDN'T you use the blade in that fight?
Heh, well, I've never used the Blade level 2 for a boss fight, and only used it's level 3 for Monster-X.
Missile Launcher spam worked well enough for me on Iron Head, and the puffers giving free missiles every couple of seconds or so helped, moreso.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:32 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: And then I ninja away

Lowell you serious? Sheeeeeeit I can't imagine a boss fight without blade lvl 2

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:39 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

blade lv1 is better.

longer range and 3 more damage.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Uh, it doesn't do more damage Lv.2 does.
Lv.2 also has a larger hitbox.
2>1

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

IcelaunchDragon said:
blade lv1 is better.

longer range and 3 more damage.

That's false.

Lvl 1 does 15 damage (1 hit), lvl 2 does 6 damage (3 hits).

On a per shot basis, lvl 1 does 15 damage and lvl 2 does 18 damage per shot.

So level 2 has better damage per second, but level 1 does have longer range.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Yeah didn't you read my thread?

Nobody reads my threads

:D

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I'd say the biggest difficulty with level 1 is when you miss, you're defenseless until it runs out.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:08 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Heh, well, I've never used the Blade level 2 for a boss fight, and only used it's level 3 for Monster-X.
Missile Launcher spam worked well enough for me on Iron Head, and the puffers giving free missiles every couple of seconds or so helped, moreso.

Ironhead+10 lvl 3 super missles=dead.

10 shots (30 missles)

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I've gotta admit, this was quite the play through. Almost as expansive as the original cave story in terms of level design and game size. However, the story was lacking in terms of quality and of the number of cutscenes and dialogue. (This was probably the part that got rushed the most and got the mod completed in the first place :p)

I can't really give any feedback on anything specific, as I quit in the middle of this and played other mods.

However, the sort of non-linearness somewhat annoyed me, as I got easily lost and without a character telling me where to go next, I got stuck as to what I was supposed to do next. The original cavestory more branched off from one point (with the teleporter) which you had to return to to go to another branch, whereas in this it's one big loop, which is slightly disorienting and confusing. :/

On another note, what's the best record for the final bosses? I'm 23 seconds from the 3 minute mark, seeing as I'm not a lefty and can't use my trigger finger to get like a 2 minute run.

All in all, good game. I'm considering playing through it again, which I NEVER do with mods. Fix up the story to be a bit deeper and I'll truly consider this an unofficial CS sequel. :)

Edit:
On a completely unrelated note, post #69. :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:36 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Actually, the fact that this mod wasn't linear made it great. And yeah I got lost too.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM
I wouldn't mind the non linearness, it's just I dunno where I'm going half the time. As reccomended in an earlier comment, perhaps signs placed somewhere saying

<------ To Grasstown
To Sandzone ------------>

Or something of the like would be good.

Also, trying to beat the 2 minute mark on the boss rush. Had to play through the mod again to get myself the Blade. Wish I could trash the Snake and machinegun now, they're just getting in the way of my weapon switching >:/
)

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Shadow the Past said:
Also, trying to beat the 2 minute mark on the boss rush. Had to play through the mod again to get myself the Blade. Wish I could trash the Snake and machinegun now, they're just getting in the way of my weapon switching >:/

You can always switch weapons through the inventory, which is faster since time doesn't count in the inventory.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:47 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It may be faster but it's also hella tedious

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
It may be faster but it's also hella tedious

If you're speedrunning to get a better time, it's worth the effort.

If you're not speedrunning, well then yet it's tedious.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:58 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
If you're speedrunning to get a better time, it's worth the effort.

If you're not speedrunning, well then yet it's tedious.

Yes, but adjusting back to your surroundings is always annoying.
I only need to switch weapons in the middle of fighting during Ballos, when he goes up the wall I gotta switch to the Missiles, but I always mess up switching. May try this, but meh...

Also, how many missiles exactly does it take to kill Ballos in his fourth form? I've gotta make sure my Power Cylinder can give me enough missiles at the right time.

Edit: Nevermind. It's 14 for the curious.
Doubleedit: Beat the 2 minute mark. 1:49:4 after screwing up three times in a row jumping onto the eye. (I even screwed up this time, I just didn't kill myself trying to get back on or go over 2 minutes.) A faster time is OBVIOUSLY possible, seeing as I failed at half the potential tactics. (Hitting Misery from a distance when she spawns the lightning spheres to cause extra damage before she teleports, having the doctor's second form bounce you more towards the exit as he attempts to pounce on you, the rocket spam on Ballos' second form which I fail at with my left hand, and also in his 3rd form when spamming rockets as he goes up the wall to avoid him having to go around again.)

Also why am I speed running this? I dunno...

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
I did the exact same thing with my speedrun, but I still got a crap time. :p

And yes, the maze thing can get confusing, and it annoyed the hell out of me when I was trying to get every single weapon...
I figured it out soon enough though.

@Shadow: Did you play V1.10? That one has more cut scenes and got rid of a few glitches.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM
Mike73 said:
I did the exact same thing with my speedrun, but I still got a crap time. :(

And yes, the maze thing can get confusing, and it annoyed the hell out of me when I was trying to get every single weapon...
I figured it out soon enough though.

@Shadow: Did you play V1.10? That one has more cut scenes and got rid of a few glitches.

Yes I'm on 1.10.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can't have the Bubbler and the Blade at the same time, though. I tried taking Jellyfish juice back to the guy in the Labyrinth, he wouldn't make it. Also, don't waste your time getting the Snake, I only found one instance where it was useful. [/edit]

Also, that wasn't my entire strategy, HERE is my strategy. (Warning: Wall of text)
Boost over to Misery holding X to charge the Spur. Should be at about 3 seconds when you reach her. Release X and get through the convo, when it ends, Spur will fire and glance her, then go under and spam her until she teles. Charge your spur, then fire when you're under her and spam fire up until she teles. Repeat until defeated. Should be at about 30 seconds. (I'm always at about 25.)
Boosts over to the doctor with Spur charged. Same starting tactic, release X after convo, then switch to blade and charge into him (completely ignoring his attack) and spam upward with Blade (now level 2) and Nemesis. You can get him down after the first tele, unless he goes across the screen and you can't get to him in time. After 1st form is down, just spam up again against the second form. Stand on the side of him closest to the exit, because he will probably push you towards that direction when he pounces. Second form should take all of three seconds. (Not kidding.) With blade equipped, go to Ballos.
Ballos' first form, just walk into him and spam up with Blade. Touching him normally will do 3 damage to you, but him stomping will do 10, so be wary of that. After that, when his second form is spawning, go as far right on the map as possible, and equip your rocket. When the ball drops (ha) jump up into his eye (you can stand next to it) and spam your rockets. Unless you're a lefthanded trigger finger, you won't kill him before he starts falling again, making you fall off the eye. Hold the down arrow this entire time so when you fly in the air and fall off, you're still aimed at his eye. You should get him before he finishes the second bounce. Entering the third form, equip either your Spur (for the instant kill of 2 balls or so), Blade, or Nemesis. (Prefferabley the Nemesis if you got it. Longer range.) Stand on the left side of Ballos as he's spawning the balls around him. Stand where if you fire straight up, you'll hit two of the balls. (Not under Ballos, but on his side.) Spam your weapon upward to kill most of the balls, then when he's going up the wall, switch to rockets and spam those until you're out. Do whatever you want to get rid of the remaining balls. (Spur up, Nemesis, Blade, whatever. Only a true speedrunner can beat this form without having it go around a second time.) When the final form is spawning, go ahead and use your Cure All and Power Gauge (if you need to use the Cure All sooner go ahead, but save the Power Gauge until now.) Switch to your spur and stand on the floor. When the spikes hit you, switch to your Rocket launcher, and boost up towards the eye safespot I talked about earlier. (It's a little tricky to get into, but simple enough.) Now spam your rockets and he will go down in about a second. (If you didn't get the missile upgrade then shame on you.)

Whew that was a lot of typing.

Edit: I recorded myself in a speed run. Got 1:52:0 or something. I'll put it on my Youtube if anybody asks. (No in-game audio though, can't figure out how to get hypercam to do that >:/) Also made two mistakes, one which costs me from beating my record lol.

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Best MOD IV'E EVER PLAYED. It's great that it's finished. I couldn't never make a mod so good... I only just started modding. By the way. On the last section where you fight, misery, doctor and ballos. I think it would be a good idea if you re did it. It was good but it was basically the same as the usual cave story. You could tell that the main thing you did was just script editing.

ALL IN ALL... AWESOME:eek:

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:33 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Very fun, but the story is lacking. Also, can you make it so that the first door won't unlock until you get the fireball? I had to fight Igor w/o one...

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have a question for you. I get a Japanese error message after I defeat the first boss in the Sand Zone. More specifically, when I try to go through the door. I know I haven't run out of stuff to play, but I wanna know how it'll let me progress. Especially since I can't read Japanese hyroglyphics.