A handy little tool I made

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Ohay.
I may've stumbled-upon the solution.
It doesn't like it if npc.tbl is read only.
^^;
So, try that.
I've got it working great now.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
yeah same! for a while it wasn't working but when I tried the cave editor one it would make all sorts of wierd side effects like changes to different npcs that I didn't want, for example, drolls and missle shooting balrog would become bouncy so that kinda sucked. I didn't really understand much about the flags with hex editing so I was a little stuck there. So I got a brand new npc.tbl that hadn't been damaged and tried the editor again and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much for making this tool Cheese! (Sorry if you don't like being called cheese but I dunno what else to call you and I don't really like calling people by their internet names either)

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Sorry for the bump, but I'm hoping to get some help while being helpful at the same time! :p {And adding to this thread seems a lot smarter than starting a whole new one....}
I searched everywhere, but I didn't find any more help on my problem, and no mention of anyone figuring out the Hit Boxes....

Anyways, after using both CE's NPC.tbl editor and cheese's, I noticed how similar they were, and how they both screwed up values like health, death sounds, and Display and Hit boxes....
So I went and played around in an attempt to fix the various problems, and I've figured out how to keep large enemies like Balrog from dancing!! :D

I noticed the gray box in CE's NPC.tbl editor, and saw how the Hit box extended below it. I had a hunch the gray box was the "standard" for the sprite, or where it was centered. {While looking around to see if anyone else figured this out, I saw that Rune called it the "Bounding Box"}
The bouncing problem itself seemed like the entities were being forced out of the ground, like they were too far down....
So, I moved the Hit box's bottom until it matched the gray box, and Balrog stopped his fidgeting!
After chatting with GIR, we've figured out the best way to fix the problem with bouncy enemies is to move both their Display and Hit boxes up until the bottoms match the Bounding Box's.
{So, for example, to fix Balrog, you'd change his Hit box's top to 15 and his bottom to 8. Display's top would be 16 and the bottom 8. Side's don't need to be touched.}
This is basically just moving them up until they're out of the ground.
Some enemies require a bit more work to get to display properly, though. {My Rock Ogres, which use the Drolls Entity, took forever to display right, because their feet stayed in the ground, but at least they stopped dancing :D}

So, now I need some help... ^.^;

Things like enemy death cries get mixed up when using either NPC.tbl editor, but I can't reset them, no matter what I do...
GIR said Critters should be using death sound 01 in CE's editor, but no matter what I set, they stay silent when killed.
Using cheese's editor, I tried the same thing, to no avail.
I also tried setting the death cries past 70, like Zarro said, but that didn't work, either...
Now, they'll cry when shot, but if you kill them, they just disappear in a cloud of smoke. No cries, no explosions, no nothing.
From what Zarro said, it seems people have been able to fix this problem for themselves, and just got stuck on the Bouncy Balrog part....
{What makes this even more frustrating is that it's the only thing delaying a major update for my mod...}

What am I doing wrong? XD

Aha, nevermind!
We figured it out!!! :D

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Permission to host this on the tribute site?

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:49 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"