A Distant Memory

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:58 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
You feel a memory coming back...

set 10 years before Cave Story, this tale tells of a Broken Robot, whom remembers his life before dying.

Screenshots:

DOWNLOAD: 0.0.1.0: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd2ok40xehm503x/A Distant Memory.zip?dl=0

NEW AND IMPROVED 0.0.2.3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd2ok40xehm503x/A Distant Memory.zip?dl=0

Fixes/Changes:
added 2nd memory
added cat
added hell (incomplete)
minor grammar/text clipping errors fixed
now with guns (maybe)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016 at 5:10 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
maybe don't immediately dismiss new mods as bad, that kind of behaviour discourages them from continuing to improve

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
You're questioning pessimism here. The last 4 "first mods" posted on this forum were rubbish. And I can say that it's statistically likely that all the other ones are, too. So, what's wrong with saying that "this mod is probably going to be bad because it's more likely to be bad than good." As it is the best thing this mod has is some of it's story, mostly the text at the end. It sets up a lot of interesting premises which the mod never uses for anything because of it's abrupt ending. And because of all the interesting story text I thought the mod actually might have some decent length, like N.E.T. Story kinda length... but instead of that the mod immediately afterwards, crushing my hopes and further lowering my future expectations.
Most 'first mods' tend to be bad because of lack of experience, but that doesn't instantly mean that whoever makes one will always be bad at making mods.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM
Professional Whatever
outright stating "yeah i haven't played this but it's probably bad" is a fucking awful thing to say
give them proper feedback and encourage them to improve, or don't post

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:35 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
dude it's a demo it's not gonna be super fleshed out and fun
having "This is a demo" somewhere in the original post would have been nice but regardless of that you shouldn't assume that every first mod someone makes is bad

A.K.A. basically what doors said

honestly, the mod looks like it has potential, and with hard work and a lot of other attributes i really think it can be a good first mod

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Hey, haven't played the mod but noticed the way you posted the screenshots was weird, you probably would rather have it look like this:

Screenshots:
p219333-0-fulld1473645267.png

p219333-1-fulld1473645267.png

p219333-2-fulld1473645267.png

Replace the old code with this to have it look like that:
Code:
[U]Screenshots:[/U]
[spoiler]
[IMG]https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/archive1/p219333-0-fulld1473645267.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/archive1/p219333-1-fulld1473645267.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://andwhyisit.bugsiteguardian.com/cstsf/archive1/p219333-2-fulld1473645267.png[/IMG]
[/spoiler]
ok i love you goodbye

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
The first level is a pure platformer, no shooting is involved. I like those, and the critters make it kind of tricky. Adding that broken block next to the computer is a good idea to show the player that they can just drop down to the door, but I think putting it on the other side of the computer would have been better (swapping the computer and the broken block's positions) so that the player doesn't fall off by mistake before interacting with the computer.

This concept of entering fragments of memories and trying to discern right from wrong is interesting. I'm assuming the mod will consist in several separate maps with different setups. If it's the case, then it has the potential to become very good if you manage it well.

You should definitely work on the mapping. Add more detail and variety, etc. Even if your aim with that platforming map is to portray a hellish landscape with lava as far as the eye can see, you can still do better, for example with background tiles, with more diverse platforms, with a ceiling, with a more interesting floor, or with random cosmetics here and there.
The storytelling drives the point across, but you might want to polish it a bit. For example, after you open the door for the robot, he never says thank you or anything acknowledging that you just helped him. There are a couple typos too.

Finally, consider adding some custom tiles/sprites? It's always a nice sight (provided they look good).

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM
Based Member
I got the impression the mod was finished.
I'm not quite sure how you managed to get that impression. When a new user comes out and posts their first mod and they don't explicitly state that it's a work in progress, that doesn't automatically mean that it's finished.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I'm not quite sure how you managed to get that impression. When a new user comes out and posts their first mod and they don't explicitly state that it's a work in progress, that doesn't automatically mean that it's finished.
To be fair, that's what I did for my first mod, though said mod was also in a contest, so uploading demos would have been a bad idea. In general, I prefer to finish all of a project before revealing it, or at the very least post a substantial demo.

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:36 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oh no, a new mod. This is sure to mean many bad things.
-The mod doesn't need to come with the manual, OrgView.exe, Doukutsu_Original.exe or window.rect.

p219309-0-niz4djd.png

-Dude, its fine, you don't need to mention all this.

p219309-1-yuqyjln.png

-The 6 in the bottom left looks off ASF, you seriously should not use anti-aliasing in your text, and the A and N in TITAN also look off.

p219309-2-tg488ss.png

-Meet mr. transparency issues. He was just going down to the grocery store one day when suddenly his hair became transparent and he was whisked off into the sky by Satan. Seriously, though: BLACK SHOWS UP AS TRANSPARENT, USE VERY DARK BLUE INSTEAD.

-... what's with the delay on the door opening sound?

p219309-3-13o8jn2.png

-Hmm, not digging this design. The flat floating platforms thing is kinda getting repetitive.

-OK so the first enemies are gonna one hit kill me. Is this mod supposed to be really hard or are you taking the piss?

-The game over music doesn't end until AFTER the "You feel a memory coming back..." text.

-Uh, yeah, might wanna delete that critter during this cut-scene, or <CNP it to NULL for a moment and then change it back afterword. Oh, well, it's not like it can get to you again if it jumps off that platform.

p219309-4-qj1mxsz.png

-It's not your fault. You don't have to go into some random-ass cave to masturbate, you know.

p219309-5-k5w8sez.png

-Yes... but no.

-Why is the first platform in Underneath the Island [sic] attached to a chain? 'Cause, the other one isn't.

-I think a Save Point where the blue robot is would be nice.

-The balcony should have a <MYD0002 at the start so you're always facing the blue robot.

-"Yeah, that's how it happened." You need'a put an <FAC0000 before the <MSG there so that the blue robot's facepic doesn't show up briefly at the start of the message.

-Oh, it's over.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why the PC sprite has transparency issues with you, as it works fine for me.

-The balcony should have a <MYD0002 at the start so you're always facing the blue robot.

I misunderstand. The blue robot is not in the the balcony, er, the "Underneath The Island" area, if that's what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 14, 2016 at 3:19 AM
Based Member
To be fair, that's what I did for my first mod, though said mod was also in a contest, so uploading demos would have been a bad idea. In general, I prefer to finish all of a project before revealing it, or at the very least post a substantial demo.
Indeed there are cases of that, and that was more or less what I did too with my fourth ending mod, but such cases are more the exception rather than the rule.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:26 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Did you use MS Paint for the robot?

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM
War criminal
Sep 14, 2016 at 7:35 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Sep 14, 2016 at 9:12 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Did you use MS Paint for the robot?
For all recolors I use Paint.NET. I don't see how using a different drawing tool could effect it, as like I said, the PC does not appear transparent for me. Unless you mean the Blue Robot's Facepic, which i also did not use MS Paint for.