2x res Cave Story mod without Nicalis sprites

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I know that making a 2x res mod with Nicalis sprites and giving it away isn't allowed, but what about a 2x res mod with the original graphics? Is that a thing anywhere?

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
well then it wouldn't be much of a 2x mod, would it

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:22 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I know that K;SS has some upscaled vanilla assets of Mimiga village, first cave and parts of grasstown.

Also WTF story has upscaled quote and curly as well as a few other misc stuff from both games.

I think a community made 2X pack of the more common tilesets/enemies and the like would be nice to see

@Noxid this would be as good a time as any to ask if we can freely use your tilsets from K;SS? (same question for GiR about WTF)

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think a community made 2X pack of the more common tilesets/enemies and the like would be nice to see
treading on thin ice. not technically against the rules probably but considering both are derived from the same source it's hard to prove. i'd rather people just create their own assets ad-hoc as needed.

The mimiga village wasn't made by me so technically I can't say that other people are allowed to use it.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:36 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
When I say hi-res original sprites, I mean like if someone went on MS Paint, used that one stretching tool to make the spritesheets twice as big, and left it like that. But hey, yeah, a community-made 2x pack sounds pretty neat!

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:02 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
When I say hi-res original sprites, I mean like if someone went on MS Paint, used that one stretching tool to make the spritesheets twice as big, and left it like that.
Now what would be the use to that?

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Making such a base would be very easy, and you could probably do it in less than 10 minutes.
Yup, but the problem is the actual game itself. I don't know how to make the game 2 res.

Now what would be the use to that?
A template for 2x res mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2017 at 5:16 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It just sounds like something one can easily do themselves, unless their system is really terrible at rendering.

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"