1001 Spikes

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Now that Nicalis has released the final version of the game, I suppose now it's time to discuss, review, and most likely vent at the game.

Currently it's on sale for 'Loyal Nicalis Fans' who have CS+ or another game on Steam. The sale makes it 33% off, making the $15 Price Tag now $10 for a limited time. S'pose if you wanna get it while it's fresh, now is the time.

Steam Page is here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/260790/

And if you were like me, maybe you bought it because Curly Brace is in the game, but so far from playing it myself, it looks like it'll be a good game on its own. Now to just unlock the characters and try them out...

I might livestream it sometime this weekend, generally this week though.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:28 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I didn't try to get in the beta, but I picked it up on release and have already done everything there is to do in it. Yeah curly is the most op character in the game, but mainly because she breaks the levels with her booster.

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Professional Whatever
I still haven't gotten my beta key.

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Doors said:
I still haven't gotten my beta key.

Well that wouldn't matter now the games out....right? If your interested in the game go buy it?

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
All I have to say, was that beta testing it was interesting, as it was my first experience testing a game. (I was into it for the first two weeks, but after that, school got in the way)
It was a fun and interesting game. I liked the gimmicks in some levels at times. However, some parts of the game were downright evil/hard. (Specifically the one level with the platforms that you have to time and the ending of it which was annoying) There was one level that I never did beat, and thus never finished the game. (One Antarctica level had a near-impossible jump that I made precisely ONE time out of like, 50 attempts)

Tl;Dr, It was fun, and I enjoyed it. It was an interesting experience. (I sorta liked IWBTG, so that's probably why I sorta liked this game.)

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This game has both Curly Brace and totallynotsimonbelmont in it, and some of the music was composed by Rushjet1, therefore, I am 100% obligated to play it. Anyway, I get the Steam discount for Cave Story and the 3 DS one for VVVVVV so I'll probably get the 3DS version once I can.

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm...
This is the first time I've heard of this game.
Maybe I should try it out. (If it seems fun...)

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Veteran Member
At first, I didn't want to buy the game. Yes, as soon as I saw Curly in the trailers on YouTube, I got convinced. I bought it for the 3DS.

Overall, it took about 3 days for me to finish the whole game with Aban. Now to go beyond and unlock some more content. Liked the difficulty!

Here is what happens when you find Golden Skulls and clear worlds:
Golden Skulls:
4th: Ability to change character color
6th: Tower of Nannar Arcade Mode unlocked
8th: Commander Video from Bit.Trip Series available for play
10th: Lost Levels Arcade Mode unlocked
12th: Conseil's Duty Free shop unlocked
16th: Sugimoto from Tempura of the Dead available for play (8-bits Fanatics)
18th: Juni from Knytt Stories available for play
20th: President Thompson from Tempura of the Dead available for play (8-bits Fanatics)
23rd: Zombie from Tempura of the Dead available for play (8-bits Fanatics)
26th: El Testigo from That One Movie available for play
28th: Nyx from NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits available for play
30th: Curly Brace from Cave Story, plus:
Snake Block in Stage 2-1 Ukampa open for Key of Serpentis (If Ukampa is cleared, before or after 30 skulls)

Clear worlds:
Clear Ukampa: Unlock Antarctica, Antarctic Aban, Tina Hawkins
Clear Antarctica...
with Good Ending: Unlock Antarctica for all other Characters, Jim Hawkins

Notable Bugs/Glitches:
3DS only: The Serpentis Boss, scrolling background shows a black portion repeatedly. Also, after fighting the boss and comparing to a YouTube video of a different platform, the crystal only appears on the smaller ceiling in the 3DS. Others show two, the other crystal appears on the larger ceiling with spikes.
3DS only: Tower of Nannar: The scene before the start of the game, stage clear scene, Hasis intro scene and the Congratulations scene are not properly centered.
3DS only: Many crash bugs are present, I just encountered a freeze after 1-6 with other characters in the main game. Note that Nicalis did come across "a few issues" of the 3DS version. Guess I'm in the same boat...
--BUYING THOMPSONCARE ON THE NINTENDO 3DS VERSION WILL CRASH THE GAME ALWAYS ON THE FILE SELECT SCREEN RENDERING THE WHOLE GAME UNPLAYABLE UNLESS YOU ERASE YOUR SAVE DATA VIA SYSTEM SETTINGS! (If you have a save-data backup in reserve before buying Thompsoncare, you may restore it with this via System Settings.)
● Tower of Nannar: Hasis tower floor 4, a glitch can be exploited with Curly by carefully boosting up to the top and going off screen on the first angle to scroll horizontally, then repeatedly boosting up and going right over the small gap. And when reaching the next angle to scroll vertically, Curly gets pushed through the walls back to the supposed route or dies.
● ...also, the scorpion could randomly pop from the top at the second angle seen here (Go to 8:39 if it doesn't automatically take you to the point) At 8:57, that is where the scorpion should be normally--above the two treasure chests.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM
Veteran Member
4/10/2015: I have just learned on Tyrone's Twitter that an update to the game has been announced which would fix the bugs, and hopefully all the crash bugs for those unlockable characters-cutscenes and Thompsoncare-File Select for the Nintendo 3DS version.

Follow both Tyrone and Nicalis Twitter and check Nintendo eShop every Thursday. There will be a new icon, it is just Aban but with no spikes around him.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:59 AM
Veteran Member
Forgive my triple-post. But!

Nicalis FINALLY released the new version on October 1 for the WiiU and 3DS which hopefully fixes all the bugs I have mentioned earlier for North America. And the PAL territories get it as well for the first time. This post is merely a letter-knower.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Ugh.. why does it take so long for Nicalis titles to travel to anywhere other than the US? I'm still waiting for Ikachan 3DS.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:08 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Ugh.. why does it take so long for Nicalis titles to travel to anywhere other than the US? I'm still waiting for Ikachan 3DS.

Nicalis has got an interesting reputation of not releasing games for consoles in Europe. Currently, Europe is waiting for many games such as; 1001 Spikes, Cave Story 3D, Ikachan, Grinsia, Guxt, and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, which have all supposedly been sent for release but haven't released yet. Nicalis also like to blame Nintendo of Europe for not approving of their games so that they're never released in Europe.
~Wikipedia page on Nicalis

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
That Wikipedia page clearly needs to be updated. The EU version of CS 3D was released years ago. And to my understanding Guxt 3DS was never released anywhere.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Nicalis made Cave Story 3D and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth? Huh, I didn't know that =o