Lace
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings Media Albums About

• Interesting.. Well, the render snippet looks fine, frames are in order, framenum seems to be under control... Perhaps you could give me a more detailed explanation of what's actually happening? It might help me figure it out, and there's a chance that in writing it the solution may strike you all by itself. Like, do the frames change at the appropriate time and sequence, but they seem to pick a random spot on the sheet? Or, are they sytematically off-target? Is every frame off or just some of them?

EDIT: Your post appeared while I was typing this, for reference.
    mov ecx,[ebp+8]
    mov edx,[ecx+68]
    shl edx,4
    lea eax,[edx+ebp-70]
    mov ecx,[ebp+8]
    add ecx,54
    mov edx,[eax]
    mov [ecx],edx
    mov [eax+4]
    mov [ecx+4],edx
    mov [eax+8]
    mov [ecx+8],edx
    mov [eax+0C]
    mov [ecx+0C],eax

Did you/your machine concatenate this part? As in, does it actually say/mean

MOV EDX,DWORD PTR DS:[EAX]
    004556DB |. 8911 MOV DWORD PTR DS:[ECX],EDX
    004556DD |. 8B50 04 MOV EDX,DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+4]
    004556E0 |. 8951 04 MOV DWORD PTR DS:[ECX+4],EDX
    004556E3 |. 8B50 08 MOV EDX,DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+8]
    004556E6 |. 8951 08 MOV DWORD PTR DS:[ECX+8],EDX
    004556E9 |. 8B40 0C MOV EAX,DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+C]
    004556EC |. 8941 0C MOV DWORD PTR DS:[ECX+C],EAX

It looks fairly sound; from what you've shown, you appear to only be using frames 0-3 in this bit? Oh, do you have a thing for each direction then? frames 0-6 animate and frame 7 is direction independent? (Or rather, framenum 0-2 for motion and 3 is a static). I actually don't have a clue what cdq does, so you may have to explain that. XOR is apparantly an effective way to 0 something as I've recently learned. Anyway, I can't tell right off the top why it's not working. Other silly things to check might be if the NPC is set to the right tileset and the tileset in question is on the map, I've made that mistake before.
    Nate gives his thanks.

I guess part of the reason he didn't make a pun like that is because of people like me who do it way too much.
    That game is all uppity-date. :(

I wouldn't bother you about it, but, I mean, it's not really getting a lot of attention from the community. You know how it is.
    Pfft, it's OBVIOUSLY a fiber that dissolves when you put it in oats, EVERYONE knows that :rolleyes:

Yeah, I really have no idea.
    Ha! You have much to learn, young Padawan, for only he who knows all tropes by heart may sleep peacefully.
    Thanks. That's a rather curious predicament you seem to be in; I do hope you manage to get it sorted out. Also, I suppose I should've been a little more thorough in my language check than the Google auto-complete test >.>

Now if only I hadn't slept away the afternoon :s
    Muchos homeworks to do before midnight... yikes.
    Strange, well if you're using Sue's then if you haven't added more than the starting number of maps I don't think it adds a separate section. CE does it immediately on the first save regardless of how many maps you have so that's rather odd. What program are you using to check for the sections? I use PEBroswePro which is a nice freeware for non-commercial use program. I've played some TowerStory which I know was edited in CE and it had the .csmap section.

-Oh and a correction to my last message: there's a .text section which is oddly the actual code section. .rdata and .data are read only and read/write variables respectively.

If you want to get really into the details of how I do the save/load you can look at the CaveStoryEXE class's Open and Save functions in the CE source. It's well commented (though I just noticed it contains the error mentioned above about section names comments) and can give you a much more detailed look into the inner workings of exe files in general. Personally, I read through this for about a week or two before I could figure out enough to get CE to work correctly while expanding the file size.
    Hey Lace.
    Here's the long and short of how the data in CaveStory is rearranged by CE. The beginning of the exe tells you how many sections of data there are and vague info on what they are. As I recall there's a .rdata, .data, .swmap (if edited in SW) or a .csmap (if edited in CE) and a .rsrc. They basically translate to read only data, code, editor added map data, and resources (all the ORGs, sound effects, etc.).

What both CE and SW do to rearrange the data is pretty simple. For CE I find the map data (in either the original location, SW's location or CE's location). Going from the original, I basically copy all the map info and create a new section called .csmap. I then save the data back to the exe in the same order I got it out, placing the .csmap section in between the .data and .rsrc sections. That way, the resource data is still at the end of the file like most resource hacking software is expecting. The only trick is there are a bunch of pointers at the beginning of the exe telling where all the sections begin/end so I have to make sure I update those to where all the resources are now that I shifted them further down in the file. Also, there are several places in the code that look at the map data so I need to adjust the place they start looking from too.

I hope that explains everything without being too dumbed down or too complicated.
    Never had that problem...

Well, I'll add events at the top AND bottom of the elevator ahaft. No idea why it was working before...

Well, the entity 0s were tagged with the same event as
    the vertical block...and I <ANPed the block, so it either drags or pushes the Entity 0s?

Whatever. Haven't done anything today. I was a little busy.
    Alright. Delete the exe I gave you. Considering I won't have ANY use for the <INV command until I reach the court proceeding, and I'll need to work out cutscenes and maps, I'll get started on
    those.

I'll contact you once I CAN'T proceed any more due to a lack of that command.

Take it easy, and thanks.
    *igotsthepower9000 attempted to channel his impatience*

*Impatience levels were temporarily decreased!*

It's alright. I wouldn't have been able to do anything with it today. Had stuff to do.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…