Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Escher Lochran
Escher Lochran
I contrast this greatly with my work, "Ascend.". I do not see any reason for enemies to exist if they do not pose potential mortal danger to the audience. What is a pitiful foe? Nothing to the audience. The work will be infused with this belief; as I believe that this requires the audience to engage deeper with the work, writing a more enjoyable narrative.
Escher Lochran
Escher Lochran
Do not however, take this to mean I am an enthusiast of creating challenge so insurmountable that it is impossible to wring any enjoyment whatsoever. This is of course, a game. I want the audience to enjoy my work. I have learned to be more lenient that I have instincts for, in regards to challenge.
Escher Lochran
Escher Lochran
It is a battle of balance between making a challenge which excites, and one that demeans and diminishes.
Mint
Mint
It's only the tough challenges that will personally be the most rewarding, even if you aren't handed a reward.
Suote
Suote
Eh, I only halfway agree. Yeah, sometimes normal enemies can feel like busywork, but it's not like everything has to be a big challenge all the time. A lot of common nonthreatening enemies exist for good reasons other than really eventful encounters.
Suote
Suote
They could act as buildup and practice for a new weapon or area, or as a small break from intense battles or platforming challenges. That kind of thing can help the player take everything in and better appreciate the more intensive/challenging parts. Heck, even simple boring enemies can become interesting encounters if you put them in the right spots. Just don't overdo that last one, it can get annoying at points.
Serri
Serri
At your last point Dixel, ever since Rise of Ballos, I hate critters with a burning passion. They are not meant to be spammed mercilessly (it only happens in Cave Story one time just for the sake of introducing the Spur).
Suote
Suote
Yeah, critter armies really suck, but at least they're just tedious. By "overdoing it" I'm mainly talking about enemies that would be easy if they didn't cheaply screw you over in other ways. Stuff like critters/bats/medusaheads over bottomless pits, and enemies being hidden by foreground objects.