Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

q3hardcore
q3hardcore
I don't care, I just want to sleep. Isn't writing supposed to help?
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
Not when it's people basically yelling at each other, these conversations are being more destructive than being constructive, some guy just wanted to make a statement about macs because he uses them a lot. Do we have to have arguments are being corrective about each other?
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
I don't know!
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
"Okay you've just defeated yourself in the first paragraph. While the latest version is difficult to run under virtualization, you can run older version under virtualization fine, and use the latest version in the cloud."

My first paragraph was an honest question. How do I do this? Where do I do this? I just want to run older versions of Safari and am wondering why this is all so hard, especially when I can test IE as far back as IE4 on my Windows 7 computer in XP mode. Please point me in the right direction here. Half of my ranting is at how I beat my head against a brick wall on this issue until I gave up entirely.

I mean I could set up sheepshaver fine (OS9), but anything beyond that (early OSX) has eluded me. Specifically I am looking to emulate Panther and maybe Tiger as well. Well... I am hoping Panther, but given that it is PPC-only I am not liking my chances. I mean is it possible to emulate PPC OSX on Sierra?

I mean, hell, Apple killed off Rosetta, which makes this all the more harder. May I have permission to curse at Apple again?
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Older versions of Safari, back to Safari 3 are available for Windows. If you want to use the Mac version, I'd suggest obtaining a 2nd hand Macbook, you should be able to find a working one for under $100. If you'd prefer virtualization, it's fairly simple to set up an OSX instance under VirtualBox, although certainly in violation of Apple's licensing if you do so on a non-Apple computer. You can easily find the necessary steps by Googling.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
Everything I read on the net tells me that Virtualbox doesn't work for Panther or Tiger.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
That and sheepshaver only supports up to OS9.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Tiger definitely works under VirtualBox, there's videos of it. For Panther, I'd suggest PearPC.
YoshiPilot
YoshiPilot
I guess that mt iMac works great for most games as I'm more into indie games than mainstream games, And most indie games have mac ports (Super meat boy, 1001 spikes, binding of issac, cave story, undertale, braid, cuphead's is in development) so that's why I like my iMac for games more.
FortniteLover2
FortniteLover2
linux better
YoshiPilot
YoshiPilot
Idk on steam I see alit more Mac games than Linux games
FortniteLover2
FortniteLover2
I have never used linux in my life
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
Kids settle down. Macs are atrocities in regards to compatibility with the majority of software, but other than that it mostly goes to personal opinion and needs.

I'm actually facing this right now. Considering buying a windows laptop soon. I've grown up with both in my house and on a personal level prefer the layout and base of Mac OSX, but wine and other programs only get you 80% of the way there. If I could run things natively I'd keep my mac workflow in a heartbeat.

But uh, this is probably changing because the philosophy behind iPhone X and dongles for a macbook with no ports is fucking stupid.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Please state some compatibility issues you've encountered.

You can use virtualization software to run Windows in the background and have Windows apps rendered on your native desktop.

What problems do you have with the design of the iPhone X? Sure, it doesn't have a headphone jack but those are prone to failure. The "notch" arguably detracts from form, but certainly not function. As for MacBooks lacking ports, exactly what items are you lamenting the ability to directly attach? You can get wireless keyboards and mice, and USB-C external drives. Is the lack of an SD Card slot an issue for you? You could just get a wireless SD Card.
FortniteLover2
FortniteLover2
w i r e l e s s S D C a r d
tlo
tlo
(statement that simultaneously deflects your points without due acknowledgement while also mindlessly defending a viewpoint)
FortniteLover2
FortniteLover2
w i r e l e s s S D C a r d
FortniteLover2
FortniteLover2
but why
q3hardcore
q3hardcore