Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

andwhyisit
andwhyisit
What is that blue thing behind Quote? Also the shadows on Quote's face are really inconsistent.
Kayya
Kayya
Wings. Do they not look it? That's how they've pretty much been drawn for the couple iterations of that sprite, but if they don't look like it I'll change 'em up.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
Also you have non-existent things casting impossible shadows (like a hat).
Kayya
Kayya
On the left half of his face? I always kind of viewed that as hair. But.. I removed the shadows and it does look a little better, somehow.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
If you look at his cowlick the shadows are being cast 1px down and to the right. Now if you look to the left you have 3px of shadow for the same volume of hair, and the shadow even continues past the hair.

You should still have shadow above the left eye but the rest of the shading on the left-hand side can go.

When dealing with shadows you need to visualise where your light source is. Don't wing it.

His neck also looks crooked and quite long.
Kayya
Kayya
Alright, I've fixed it up a bit. Here's what I've got: http://i.imgur.com/BqLyxNl.png
And for the neck thing--the lower two pixels are his chest. I've provided a visual for better visualization.
X-Calibar
X-Calibar
What about the headphones? In pictures of Curly Brace (no hat), you never see actual headphones, but speaker/antennas where ears would be found.
Jade
Jade
Neck:Torso:Legs proportion is messed up and also the eye shading method doesn't work with this artstyle.
Kayya
Kayya
X-Calibar - You mean the headset? They're supposed to be like a headset, designed after the speaker/antennas you mentioned.

Hax4Ever - I upscaled it from the original sprite, so the proportions are roughly the same. But, could you elaborate? Is the neck too long? Legs too short? And.. honestly, I think the eye shading looks alright. Plus, they look a little empty without the shading. Unless you mean simply the method which I've applied the shadows? In which case, what other method would you suggest?
2DBro
2DBro
the headset goes back behind quote a bit too far
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
@Kayya: My concern with his neck was the white pixel you had to the left. I have no trouble understanding where his neck ends and his chest begins.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
@Hax4Ever: What on Earth is supposedly wrong with the eye shading? It looks perfectly fine to me.
Kayya
Kayya
@andwhyisit Ohh, alright. I understand. It was supposed to be his other wing, but it did look really odd.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
The wing is really low set, it needs to be higher. Plus you have no way to discern where the front of the wing ends and the back begins. Everything looks like an indistinct graduation of colour. I thought it was the booster or a ghost at first.
Kayya
Kayya
"Plus you have no way to discern where the front of the wing ends and the back begins." Could you elaborate on that more? As it is, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you mean.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
Kayya
Kayya
Don't worry, I think it actually looks great. Better than what I was planning, anyways: http://i.imgur.com/UJaI0is.png
Mind if I go ahead and use your version?