• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

• I've had it made known to me that for about a week now people haven't been able to finish registering or receive email notifications. I can imagine how frustrating this must have been, particulary for our newest members. Unfortunately our site owner is away at the moment and he most likely won't be able to do anything about it for another week or so. Until then, anyone who wants their account manually verified can contact me via their method of preference and I'll sort it for them myself. Thanks to everyone for their patience regarding this issue. -DoubleThink

• Emails should hopefully be fixed, please let us know if they're working properly now.

Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Goerge Bobicles
Goerge Bobicles
We eat out, and take long naps
Debug Cat
Debug Cat
how do i sleep if the NEIGHBORS GENERATOR IS SO LOUD WITH THE WINDOW OPEN but if i CLOSE IT ill be HOT (it actually was pretty easy since part of the time was night)
Goerge Bobicles
Goerge Bobicles
In the daytime take some benadryl to knock yourself out
CookedChef
CookedChef
one time we lost internet for almost a full week
good times
zxin
zxin
I think I lost internet for a month once.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
@Debug Cat: Candles, torches, an old school GBA and some batteries or maybe a book. As far as cooking is concerned ditch the microwave and oven and instead use a gas stovetop or a barbecue. I mean, hell, blackouts are pretty easy to deal with if you get creative. In fact I find the process of working around a blackout to be kinda fun in its own right.
Polaris
Polaris
Yeah, electricity isn't something I'd really want to go without forever, but in the relatively short term it's both interesting and healthy (in a way) to have to do without. Heaven knows I could use more motivation to read and play Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. :3
gamemanj
gamemanj
Step 1. Get a bike and a generator. Step 2. ???. Step 3. "Blackouts? Who cares?"
Mint
Mint
As long as you make sure foods don't get wasted because of inactive cooling units.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
@Miccs: Food in your fridge and freezer should keep reasonably cool for most of a 24 hour period. I once accidentally turned off the fridge for a day and a half and only one thing in the entire fridge went bad by the time I realised and turned it back on. Remember to think about what you want out of the fridge and then in a fast manner open it, grab what you need, and close it again. In such a scenario you want to keep as much cool in the fridge as possible because if you waste it by leaving the door open for too long it ain't coming back.

For anything longer you have two options:

1. Fill a large cooler box with ice and stock it with the important contents of the fridge and freezer.
2. Get a gas fridge and do the same.

There is the option of solar panels, a 12-volt fridge, and a backup generator, but that is expensive if you lack those things already, and you have to adjust the panels to maximise the absorbed sunlight, turn the fridge off at sunfall, on at sunrise, and monitor power consumption vs input. Most people have commitments away from home that make doing this impossible.

If you have a gas fridge then #2 is for you, otherwise the cooler (or maybe multiple coolers depending on the amount of food you need to store and the size of the cooler boxes) is your best bet. Or hey, maybe a mix of both, you could use the gas fridge cranked up as your freezer unit and the cooler as your fridge.

This would be a great time to throw out any old food that you don't need or haven't touched in years.

In any case you would need to focus on prioritising the consumption of food based on when it will expire rather than based on what you feel like eating that day. This is especially true of specific freezer items such as meat if you are putting freezer items in the cooler.

If anything does go off then feed it to your dog if you have one. However if some meat is just starting to go off then give it a salt bath, cut off the fat, dice then thoroughly cook the meat, and then use it to make a curry.

As far as the cooler is concerned make sure that anything that can't get wet stays at the top. Also don't forget to empty the water out when the ice melts and then stock it with new ice. Most convenience stores seem to sell bags of ice.

Of course I've never been in a blackout longer than 24 hours, so I am merely relating what I would do in such a hypothetical scenario. Most of the post-24-hour scenarios are based on camping trips, so take it however you want.
Polaris
Polaris
I wasn't expecting a hefty FAQ on what to do with refrigerators, but I'm sure it will be helpful someday!