Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

SuperJaws100
SuperJaws100
One does not simply "try anime". That's like saying "I'm going to try cartoons out tomorrow". The differences between one anime and another are just as numerous as the differences between two cartoons. Comparing Death Note and One Piece, for example, is like comparing Family Guy to Adventure Time. There's just no comparison.
Mint
Mint
What I mean is that I never watched anime before, aside from that I see some people watch anime in class.
Parkraft123
Parkraft123
What anime are you going to watch?
Serri
Serri
I suggest watching some classics before watching anything recent. Too much anime ass and tiddies nowadays (but I haven't a problem with that so far).
Some random guy
Some random guy
Try Totoro
It's magical

Albeit very, very strange
Xemous
Xemous
if someone makes a cory in the house joke I am going to go postal
Parkraft123
Parkraft123
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
I would recommend Steins;Gate, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children above anything else.
SuperJaws100
SuperJaws100
The majorly popular ones are Black Butler, Death Note, One Piece, Attack on Titan, and I think to a lesser degree Sword Art Online. I can recommend all of those except One Piece, which I'm not too fond of. But beware of extreme gore and violence in Attack on Titan, mild sexual themes in both SAO and Black Butler, and some darker themes in Death Note. If you want a happy-go-lucky anime watch My Neighbor Totoro.
Noxid
Noxid
watch dog anime
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
Oh and I would recommend Log Horizon btw.
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
I read one volume of the Attack on Titan manga and I had no desire to continue. I am fine with the extreme gore and violence, but I really don't get why people like it. Maybe the story gets better later on or something, but when I finished that volume I had just about zero attachment to both the story and the characters.

Plus is stereotypical filler-ridden long-running shonen anime with zero overarching plot really the best impression for a first-timer? Not to mention that the second half of Death Note was downright terrible. The original author wrote himself into a corner.
Serri
Serri
I'm kinda glad that DBZ wasn't suggested. Unless you like 20 minutes of shouting and 2 minutes of action per episode.
Thatnamelessguy
Thatnamelessguy
watch dog anime
i haven't actually seen dog anime but it's dog anime
X-Calibar
X-Calibar
Tell us how it goes Miccs =)
I remember when a friend got me into anime... Wonder how different I'd be if I'd never gotten into it D:

Anyway, in my experience, I started with dubbed anime, with a show that had a theme that I was passionate about. Playing all those fantasy RPGs growing up, I tried out Record of Lodoss War as my first anime... And my mind was blown. It was enchanting to see what I'd come to imagine from games or books in a format that was more alive and grander in scope compared to 2 hour blockbuster movies...
But the reason I kept coming back, was the pursuit of ideas and execution not found elsewhere. :3

Eventually, I moved onto subs because it added a layer of mystery to anime. Instead of judging english speaking voice actors, I was able to just enjoy the experience through what was read, while not losing the vocal impact. Plus access to loads more content! Which got me into some music with japanese lyrics...

Don't know if these reflections will be helpful at all :] Anyway, as for recommendations, without knowing the genre you might have a personal taste for...
Hmm... here are some modern subbed titles I remember off the top of my head:

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Upbeat Fantasy
Psycho-Pass - Detective/Serious Futuristic Drama
The Irregular at Magic High School - Overpowered School Heroes
Durarara!! - Compelling set of converging stories in the city
God Only Knows - Save the world one girl at a time ... Mr. Gamer
Steins;Gate - Science-fiction
Log Horizon - Fantasy World with Leadership
Sword Art Online - Fantasy
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works TV - modern fantasy classic/high budget
Madoka - Dark Magical Girls

And here are some old picks that should be fine dubbed:
Record of Lodoss War OVA - Classic Fantasy
Berserk TV - Gruesome Fantasy
Escaflowne - Dramatic Fantasy
Slayers - Slapstick Dungeons and Dragons-ish Fantasy
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Sci-fi
El-Hazard the Magnificent World - Fantasy

(Wow that's a lot of fantasy... no bias there...)
Just some random picks. You probably already had your choice lined up. Though I suggest just browsing through lots of recommendations with your favorite genre until you find a title that looks good and has some good reviews...