Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Hi! How are you?

I can't figure out which Polar Star upgrade I should choose.
Tpcool
Tpcool
Always Spur. Don't listen to those Snake-lovers, they want you to lose!
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
I'll try the Spur out then.

During my first playthrough, I chose the Machine Gun because I didn't know that you could get the Snake or Spur.

I just wasn't sure 'cause I heard the Spur is super powerful and doesn't rely on Experience Points (*cough*triangles*cough*), but I liked the Machine Gun's ability to rapid-fire, plus being able to fly in the air longer then the Boosters (I think. I'm not sure about 2.0 because I haven't tried it yet.).
Tpcool
Tpcool
Pretty much everyone gets the Machine Gun their first time through because, like you said, most people didn't know you can get the Snake or Spur. The Spur is great for the reason you don't have to get EXP, and so that also makes it a good pair for the Nemesis. The Snake is good because shooting through walls is awesome, but the only time where it's clearly superior to the Spur is during <div class='bbc_spoiler'>
<span class='spoiler_title'>Spoiler</span> <input type='button' class='bbc_spoiler_show' value='Show' />
<div class='bbc_spoiler_wrapper'><div class='bbc_spoiler_content' style="display:none;">Sacred Grounds</div></div>
</div> speedruns. Try both out when you can.
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Hi! How are you?

I'm stuck on a boss on Cave Story. Can you guess which one it is?
Tpcool
Tpcool
Hi! I'm doing swell!

Are you stuck on... Toroko+? Maybe? If you're trying to get the Snake or Spur after beating the game with the Machine Gun, I can see Toroko+ being the biggest problem.
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Yup it's Toroko+. Even on easy difficulty WITH the Machine Gun she's hard for me. Battling her without the Machine Gun just makes things harder.
Tpcool
Tpcool
I see what you mean. The amount of damage she does it pretty huge, so I'd opt to focus more on her pattern than actually doing damage. If necessary, maybe tank a hit from the puny flowers so you don't take damage from the blocks.
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Okay. I'll try that out. Thanks!:)
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Hi! How are you?

I'm so close to beating the game and getting the best ending on easy difficulty! All I have left is the three (four, sorta) round boss fights with Misery, The Doctor (and Muscle Doctor), and the Undead Core (with Possessed Misery and Sue), then the Blood Stained Sanctuary. :-D

I also got the Spur. It's pretty cool.
Tpcool
Tpcool
The Spur wrecks. The boss fights are a real pain, so good luck with those.
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Hi! How are you?
Tpcool
Tpcool
I AM DOING GREAT

STOP PRESSURING ME TO COMMENT ON MY DAY
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Alright.

I got to the Blood Stained Sanctuary for the fifth time, and died for the fifth time. I have major trouble with that first room with all the death spikes.
Tpcool
Tpcool
The first room will become the least of your worries in due time. The second room will be the bane of your existence. The third room is a matter of saving up enough health from the second room. Well, every room after the second is a matter of saving enough health. It's just that bad.
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
Hopefully. My platforming skills aren't that good.

I watched a video about getting through the Blood Stained Sanctuary, and if what I saw is what I'm going to experience (in room two and over, except for the bosses), then it might be easier 'cause I was in simaler situations in other games.
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
I finally figured out how to get through the first room (although I do get hurt a little bit doing it). I got all the way to Ballos about three times too. Out of all the rooms, the first one is still the hardest for me.

I keep dieing on Ballos's second form. Pretty much probably repercussions from me getting hurt from the Rollings and the Butes in the Heavy Press battle, and getting hit with the lightning in Ballos's first form.
Tpcool
Tpcool
I do hear that people constantly die from Ballos' second form, but it's easily the most simple pattern of them all. As long as you can remain patient through the whole run you'll definitely get it eventually. You better have the counter with you, because I want to see your amazing first time. : o
(Also tip: you can farm for hearts by alternating between the second and third floor)
Shiny Shinx
Shiny Shinx
I must have tried about 50 times to get through the Sacred Grounds, still didn't get through it. I've been getting closer and closer. I only got to Ballos's final form about two times. First time I died right off the bat pretty much because of the damage I took in the third form, and the second time I couldn't get in his left eye to spam missiles.

I failed again at the Sanctuary just now too, pretty much just before the Heavy Press battle because Ballos's magic powers made my game freeze.

I play the Nintendo E-Shop on the 3DS by the way. :)
Tpcool
Tpcool
The eShop version is pretty good, but the curse of NICALiS still lingers. Good job though, you'll finish it soon. The "spam missiles in his eyes until he blows up" strategy is really good, so keep trying for that.