Ryuuoutan
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings Albums About

• Doesn't clicking the Misc. thingy create a drop-down list? Thus making it a bar that drops down?
    *Shrug*
    Anyways, you also have to place the boss entity on the map.
    Check the NPC.ini or .txt.
    Or just go to one of the maps that has those bosses.
    Certain bosses {For example, both Cores, Ballos, Heavy Press, Iron Head and a few others} are 'special'.
    That term just means they're a pain in the ass.
    I haven't learned much about them, yet, because I haven't had need to use them, but basically you've got to set that ID in the drop-down bar if you're going to use that boss for that map.
    And some of the special ID bosses are hard to work with, the two Cores will only show on the right side of the room.
    Hrm, this would be easier if I was able to work with the entire script and map....
    Actually, there are few errors that I can think of that will cause a crash besides graphic or script mishaps...
    Have you done anything with the TextBox.PBM?
    Have you gotten another entity/script to work, similar to this?
    Though I doubt this will do anything about the crash, try removing the <TUR and reading the sign again?

And, no, Khan doesn't really have much of a reason to join in the first place.
    That and he's been pretty busy, as of late.
    Assigned event numbers to entities don't require the extra 0's, 500 for the sign should work as 0500 in the script.
    It crashes right as you read the sign, correct?
    Well, this event doesn't look to be a problem...
    Are all the events in the script in order, descending from smallest in numerical order?
    And might there be more than one #0500 in the script?
    Oh right, Midorin, I get my M's mixed up >.>;
    Well, techincally I was still right :D;, Midorin uses the same sprite sheet in the same slot.
    You can always check the original Cave Story stuff to make sure.

And what do you mean you're editing it with Cave Editor? It'd still be modding over another mod...
    For the sign, did you assign it's event number as #0500? And did you also make sure the flag bit 0x2000 was set for the sign's entity? It's "PC pressed down to run script", which means when the player walks infront of it and pressed down, the event assigned to it runs.
    As for the second problem, do you mean how do you set their appearance? That involves setting the right NPC.PBM to the right slot in the Map Properties. Midorin, if I remember correctly, is the fat mimiga? He uses the Guest sheet, probably in slot one.

Also, you're not modding over another mod, are you? That'd be frowned upon
    {Unless the original maker gave you permission}, unless you're just trying to learn from it.
    You mean someone else did it for you?
    That will make things pretty difficult, since neither you nor I know how they did it....
    Can you do it yourself? Just stick the portrait over one of the old ones and save it as a 24-bit BMP and rename the extension to .PBM?
    Hmm, what did you save the file as?
    I remember accidentally saving one of mine as a monochrome or something, which resulted in a crash and black&white colours for that file...
    Are you saving the Face.PBM as a 24-colour BMP, and then renaming the extension as .PBM? You might've saved it as a Portable BitMap, which is not what Cave Story uses XD
    Then the only thing you can really do is make a smaller, simpler version..
    How big, exactly, is this image...?
    Ah, portraits.
    Those have to be 48x48, not 20x20.
    Just make sure it takes up the same room as one of the old ones.
    Eh, being a little vague there....
    There's no real way to 'shrink' sprites, because the ones used in Cave Story are tiny. Quote, for example, barely uses a 20x20 square, which means you've only got that many pixels to work with.
    The best you could do is make a miniature copy by hand, because the computer can't tell if it looks good or not, it just knows it made it smaller.
    If you're making a MyChar sprite, I recommend working off the original MyChar.PBM so that you know exactly how much room you've got before you start running into other frames...
    Eh, I can barely draw, that's why I appreciate Ralren's portraits, but even when I didn't have those I just did what I could.
    Just search through all of the stuff in the Hacking/Modding forum, there's a lot to read before you can do some modding...
    And going through all of the original data files is helpful for learning how Cave Story ticks.
    I'm even still learning a bunch of stuff as I go along.
    See the other messages on my profile?
    Ralren was bored and decided to 'spruce' up the portraits, and I liked what he did with them.
    So I tweaked just a few things and asked if I could use them for the mod.
    There's nothing to really update about, yet, but I'm working on the mod right now, and with dooey's help :D
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…