Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
No, not really. You and I have gotten into some arguments within the past month, but I personally didn't feel any of them were really that hostile save possibly for the one on the CS Redesign thread, but really it's not like I'm still mad at you for attacking Liam like that. Really the only extent to which you were involved in the most recent incident (if you want to use that strong of a word) was that you were defending Noxid.

If anything, it's Noxid with whom I'm upset. I was meaning for this to just be between me and him, but I suppose if I had really wanted to keep it that way I should have already finished writing that PM instead of letting other things get in the way, as well as been more careful not let it show in a couple of posts of mine. I suppose it isn't the end of the world if some of my negative feelings toward Noxid that have been smoldering in the background ever since the early days of my membership become known to other forum members though.

Back when I lurked here, I had a great respect for Noxid. He made an amazing mod, was one of the three main modders (the other two being GIR and Kaeso) who inspired me to start modding, was the one who made the modding tutorials that taught me everything I needed to know in order to make my fourth ending mod, and almost every post of his that I laid eyes upon had me nodding in agreement.

And then after I joined, I got a good long look at the other side of Noxid. The side of him that doesn't have a very high twelve-year-old and spammy thread tolerance before he forgets himself and succumbs to childish verbal degradation and snide remarks.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Noxid" data-cid="144520" data-time="1329429532"><p>I don't follow new people any more than I follow old people, it's simply the case that it's possible to read every single post on the entire forum (which I do) and new people make a lot more bad ones.</p></blockquote>Yeah, new members do make more bad ones, but Noxid in fact <em class='bbc'>does</em> follow new members more than older members. He responds a lot more harshly to new members when they make mistakes than to more experienced members when they make equally silly mistakes.

Ever since not long after joining, I've felt that Noxid often exhibits rude and immature behavior to new members that moderators and administrators, of all people, really, REALLY shouldn't be. When this happens, he is at fault, which, given that he's calling a new member out for making a mistake, means that both parties are at fault. And the worst kinds of conflicts are those in which both parties are at fault. Because when both parties are at fault, both sides are blinded by the error of each other's ways from seeing their own, which really isn't good because as a result of the persecution the new members suffer, they hardly learn a thing because they didn't see the error of their ways and were too focused on being mad at these forums for getting flamed too hard. I think Noxid and a lot of other members of this community underestimate how many new members who've been flamed would have listened to reason if the situation had been handled more diplomatically. I will also point out that Noxid is no help with keeping other members from being condemned when it's supposed to be his job as a moderator to keep the situation from becoming inflamed.

Seeing this other side to Noxid has caused me to lose a lot of the respect for him that I held when I first joined. I suppose this image in my mind of him that I used to have and then being exposed to a frequently appearing side of him sometimes being a total butt is part of why I'm so frustrated at him. Going back to why you sent me this message, I do sometimes think that you can show unnecessary and unprovoked hostility toward other members, but I really don't hold much against y...
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Went over the character limit. Continued:

I really don't hold much against you most of the time considering that you're only thirteen years old, and aren't a moderator who's job it is to keep the situation from becoming inflamed, unlike Noxid who really, REALLY should know better. I'm not saying Noxid has outright abused his powers as a moderator, but rather his authority, if that makes any sense. There are <a href='http://www.cavestory.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4736-mint-y-freshness/?p=162498' class='bbc_url' title=''>some circumstances</a> under which I felt his getting snippy was justifiable, but those are few and far between in my opinion.

I admit that some of this prejudice is due to the fact that I was a victim of this myself when I was new, part of why I originally intended to keep this to PM between me and Noxid. While I did make quite a few mistakes, most of them weren't deserving at all of the hostile replies they got, and some of them, I still stand by. My experience is also part of why I understand the philosophy behind and sympathize with new members who suffer more persecution than they should. Noxid and this community basically have a thing where when a new member manages to go his or her first few active months without making any mistakes, they're basically "part of the clique now", and finally stop getting condemned every time they accidentally step on a twig and make it snap.

Do not misinterpret what I'm saying though. I still have a great respect for Noxid, just not quite as much so as when I joined, because to this day I roll my eyes at how he deals with some stuff. At the same time though, while Noxid has gotten back some of the respect that he's lost, he still has a ways to go before he gets it all back, if he ever does.
Noxid
Noxid
so should I expect a letter about this soon or...