a modification of the game Cave Story

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:52 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
So yeah, I just made a mod again. It's not bad, I promise.
Here's a demo, for feedback and testing purposes.
And here's some screenshots:
p360940-0-vczhvp9.png

p360940-1-xs48eup.png

featuring musical talents from yours truly
(eventually) I plan on having at least 6 or so stages/levels to explore, so suggestions are appreciated!

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:28 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
This is looking pretty neat 2D It's a little late for those spoopy vibes but I'm very curious to see where this goes.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:40 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's a pretty neat small level with metroidvania vibes, though it really sucks that I could softlock the game if I fall off the blocks in the pit that's to the left from the base if I didn't grab the Jetpack before hand.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:48 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It's a pretty neat small level with metroidvania vibes, though it really sucks that I could softlock the game if I fall off the blocks in the pit that's to the left from the base if I didn't grab the Jetpack before hand.
This is the first issue I have already fixed. I'll be fixing bugs, etc. in the first map until I release the second demo with the 2/3rd levels. Apologies.

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:50 AM
"Huzzah!"
I don't see anything major wrong with it, I like it! I want to see what the background of the setting is though, like who the blue robot might be, or what the main character's objective is. I think some of the sparkling entities could be changed into more unique items on their own (like terminals or signposts, just a few examples) and be adjusted in a way that makes it clear which places the player has already been / needs to go. See if you can change the missile launcher to be able to shoot more than one bullet at a time, it's a bit difficult to hit the small critters with such a big weapon.

And if you want a level suggestion; a lab / facility might be interesting, one with lots of computers and experiments to inspect and corridors to get lost in!

(Edit) Another alternative for the missile launcher would be to change it to the super missile launcher and reduce it's damage to be the same as the regular missile launcher, since the super missiles travel faster than the regular ones do.