Just What Is The Core???

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well acept from its letter of my name (Corey)
Just what is it?
Is it releated to any other species?
Does it have a mind? A soul?

And why does it turn blue all of a sudden in the Undead Core Fight???
Is it because of lighting?
With all the lasers and explosions youd see if he was still green

Its a lot of questions but its one of the most intresting things in cave story (Opinion)

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM
Vanished.
Jesus.

It's magnetized rock.
Kinda Like the core of the earth.

Science.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think it's blue in the undead core fight because it's a zombie, and zombies are typically more pallor than their living counterparts. I think that it's alive, but not sentient. Also, something to do with almonds.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think the whole "almond" thing was just due to the color of the Core room tileset.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You mean you don't think it looks like an almond?

Either that or a green unhusked coconut...

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The Core doesn't keep the island in the air, the island can float without it. The Core seems to be designed to stop the island from falling by unnatural means.

The island is Ballos' prison. Ballos wants to force the island to the ground to either kill himself or destroy his prison. The Core is most likely created to prevent this.

e.g. island + ballos = fall, island (by itself) = float, island + core + ballos = float.

The tides in the room are most likely caused by the Core attempting to match Ballos' output.

And the core most likely attacked Quote and Curly because it was attacked by soldier robots ten years ago.

Anything else?

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
andwhyisit said:
Anything else?
Yeah. Core is fucking hard. Especially on your first run or on 3HP run.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I think andwhyisit is right about the core. I never realized that.

Also, I think it doesn`t float naturally because of gravity. First Jenka made it float. But Jenka`s got old and weak (even Balrog defeats her in the game) and realized that she can not match the "pulling down" force of Ballos any more, so made the core to keep the island floating after she dies or just gets too weak.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:05 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The Core was an incredibly powerful artificial organism created by a pair of genetic engineers, as commissioned by Jenka to counteract the negative force of Ballos' magic when she could no longer do so herself. One of them decided to remain on the island, and set up a laboratory near a Sky Dragon colony, later creating the Egg Corridor as a breeding experiment. The gateway to the heavens...

Wouldn't that have been AWESOME?

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Creating A Legacy...
Well i got my awnser then

Thanks a lot for discussing.

Well if the island is balloss's prison when was it created and how?
truthfully i dont think theres an awnser

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
JetHawk95 said:
Well if the island is balloss's prison when was it created and how?
truthfully i dont think theres an awnser
Jenka imprisoned Ballos on the island but there is nothing to suggest that the island was created.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM
Hyperbolic
Originally Posted by andwhyisit
Jenka imprisoned Ballos on the island but there is nothing to suggest that the island was created.

According to my mind it was created by Jenka. The reason is in the force of gravity, I explain this in post no. 8. I agree with you in just about everything else you said in post no. 6.

Nov 23, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Well, you can think that, but the game seems to suggest otherwise:
Code:
<DNP0900<SKJ0024:0000<SK+0024
<PRI<MS3Jenka, seeing her brother's
madness, confined him to this
floating island.<NOD
That was the most she could do.<NOD
Even as he was, she could not
bring herself to kill her own
brother...<NOD<END
It simply says she confined him there, it never mentioned anything about her creating it.
That's either the biggest plot-hole in Cave Story, or the Island was there to begin with.
I'd go with the latter, since I don't see Jenka being that powerful, even in her prime.
Creating a giant floating piece of land complete with it's own unique ecosystem, completely by yourself? That's too much for you to even say "It's magic!"
Ballos might've destroyed an entire Kingdom, but that was when his powers had burst free at the pressure of extreme torment; it's by no means his normal level of power, else he wouldn't have been so easily confined to that little room in the Island. Plus, it typically takes less to destroy than to create.

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Re: Cave Story History

I'm saying that the island was part of Earth before Jenka moved it to emprison Ballos.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:24 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Facepalm*

There's a few problems with that idea, though.
If the Island was originally apart of a larger land mass, that means Jenka must've lifted it an incredibly long time ago, as the Mimigas and such would've had to evolve over time. {The way the game talks about, the Mimigas have never gone to the Surface before, except for possibly that last enraged group}
That would give Jenka a lifespan of hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, of years...
That seems far-fetched for me, even with her magic.
Now, if it was a remote island previously before it was lifted that gradually grew this unique ecosystem, there's still the fact that no one ever mentions a time since before the lifting of the Island.
Jenka doesn't even say a word, herself.
{There's also the fact that you can see it floating above a forest and some mountains during the game, so the remote island idea is kaput}
I guess this ends up just being a fan-fic thing, and I've already explained why I dislike it :);

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:31 AM
Been here way too long...
Re: *Facepalm*

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Now, if it was a remote island previously before it was lifted that gradually grew this unique ecosystem, there's still the fact that no one ever mentions a time since before the lifting of the Island.
Jenka doesn't even say a word, herself.
No one ever said anything about the Surface for the whole game, just that it exists and has humans and robots. Is it possible that it didn't come up because it wasn't relevant?
VoidMage_Lowell said:
{There's also the fact that you can see it floating above a forest and some mountains during the game, so the remote island idea is kaput}
Yes, because the idea of a free-floating island moving horizontally is preposterous.

Anyway, getting back to what the Core is, it probably does more than keep the island afloat. It looks like it controls the Island's plumbing, since it can flood its chamber at will.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:19 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
RE: Is Just Core the Palm What Face???

It also has the power to shoot giant death spheres. We mustn't neglect this feature. Also, if it's invincible while it's inside it's shell, and it can defend itself from inside (via it's little orbital pods) why does it expose it's interior? (No meta-logic please)

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
How about simple logic?

Captain Fabulous said:
Yes, because the idea of a free-floating island moving horizontally is preposterous.
A floating island is preposterous enough, thank you. :)
Noxid said:
Also, if it's invincible while it's inside it's shell, and it can defend itself from inside (via it's little orbital pods) why does it expose it's interior? (No meta-logic please)
Maybe it needs to breath?
Looks pretty stuffy in there when it's closed....
{Course, could be the whole "Every game boss needs a vulnerable spot" deal, too}

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Hyperbolic
@Lowell

You are logical and I might beleive you, but answer these two questions to convince me fully:

Ok you say Jenka did not make it float. 1) Then what kept the island floating when there was no Core? 2) Or where was the island where there was no Core?

You can jump in Cave Story, but every jump is followed by a fall. Even parts of the island are falling (stalagtites), so its not made of some magical substance.

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
trickybilly said:
Ok you say Jenka did not make it float. 1) Then what kept the island floating when there was no Core? 2) Or where was the island where there was no Core?
It's commonly agreed that the Island floats by itself, but when Ballos was imprisoned, his magic became a 'negative' energy on the Island and caused it to fall, and so Jenka created the Core, which countered Ballos, causing the Island to become neutral again. {And thus, rise again}
We can assume Jenka built the Core, or at least brought it to the Island, because of what the Gaudis say:
Code:
<PRI<MSGHave you ever seen the outside of
this island?<NOD<CLRThis island is floating high in
the skies.<NOD
As to how it manages to float...<NOD
That secret lies within this
maze.<NOD<END
Code:
<PRI<MSGLong, long ago, there lived a
witch on this island.<NOD
She's the one who constructed
this labyrinth, in order to
keep us Gaudis penned up.<NOD<END
The witch they're talking about would obviously be Jenka, who built the Labyrinth to protect the Core, because it's the only thing now keeping the Island afloat.
trickybilly said:
You can jump in Cave Story, but every jump is followed by a fall. Even parts of the island are falling (stalagtites), so its not made of some magical substance.
Heh, I've never heard a satisfying answer to the Island's levitating properties, myself. {I like that stalactite point, though}
There could be something else deep within the Island, causing it to float. I don't think it likely Quote explored the entirely of the Island during the game.
Maybe a floating Island isn't that uncommon in whatever world Cave Story takes place in {Never for sure mentions Earth}, as we've already got several new types of sentient beings....
But, I can't really answer this with anything solid....