Cave Story Remix Project 2

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:34 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, I just went back and listened to all the tracks that aren't mine, and the following issues stand out:

GIR's remixes tend to clip a bit any time he has piano chords (which all of his remixes have at some point). It's not even so much that the chords are particularly loud, I think it may just be that he's using a piano sample with a very sharp attack (though at some points, I think he uses piano samples with softer attacks, like in the beginning of Pillow of Fire).

System Core by DaPhinoXX has a very loud organ sound playing the melody. In addition to being aesthetically unappealing due to its obscuring the subtle beauty of tones in the accompaniment, it causes clipping whenever multiple notes in that instrument sound simultaneously.

In the Distance by JetHawk has a very abrupt ending. I'm kinda surprised we didn't catch this earlier, and it would be super easy to fix it real quick in Audacity.

And as I said, all of my remixes except River of Sand either have clipping or are too quiet, due to my earlier ignorance of compression/limiting.

I for one am not super happy with my Access remix, and I didn't really do Jethawk95's collab (the one I named "Electric Distortion") justice, as I wasn't able to pull off my ideas properly and so I ended up butchering the entire thing pretty badly. I say this because the guitar lacks precision and clarity and the drums don't have much punch either; it's all pretty bad, especially the EQ issues that litter the entire track.

Only problem is that I can't find the project files, so I don't think I can update, and even if I did find them or make a revision of them one way or another, I have no way of updating the links on the website.

I actually thought both of those were pretty good. I dunno if your ear is just that much more sensitive than mine, or if it's more a case of you being your own worst critic. Though if I had to pick one of the two that needed more work, I would say Electric Distortion needs more work (you seem to agree?).

I'm actually not very interested in doing remixes for the sake of remixing only. But I am working on a little something that might require some new remixes, as all the current remixes do not really work for it (they need to loop and maybe have nice reverb effects in order to fit properly with my project).

Some of the current remixes seem like they could be made to work in a looping format if tweaked a bit, assuming their creators still have the project files.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:27 AM
"Huzzah!"
...I would say Electric Distortion needs more work (you seem to agree?).

Yeah, my Access remix is okay for the most part. There are just a few things I would change in the mix really. But Electric Distortion suffers from poor EQ and some pretty raw guitar that could have been cleaned up and defined a bit more. But, yeah, I lost the project files because I somehow missed backing them up when I did a clean install of windows. Oh well.

Some of the current remixes seem like they could be made to work in a looping format if tweaked a bit, assuming their creators still have the project files.

Actually, I "think" I can get all I need from k-wix's 3rd bonus album to the original CSRP. I should have it covered with Holiday Construction, Christmas Story, Labyrinth Skirmish, Rave of the Inferno, and Icewind Fortress. The only other track I'll need is a Christmas/Winter-themed Moonsong remix. The problem is that I don't know if I can edit them to get a good enough loop, and some songs need whole parts cut out to work more like video game music as opposed to a song you'd listen to (i.e. VGM will very rarely have break downs in songs).

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My remixes clip because when I first was making remixes I had no clue what a compressor was. I should probably re-render them.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM
"Huzzah!"
My remixes clip because when I first was making remixes I had no clue what a compressor was. I should probably re-render them.

That would be really awesome if you did! :orangebell:

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:12 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43330715/Swim%2C%20Ikachan.mp3
I fixed up Swim, Ikachan a bit. Which other remixes should I fix?

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:52 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It sure has been a while since I've posted here. My phone was giving me a reminder to tell Wedge of Cheese something about the csrp2 website. Maybe to renew it or some such.

A CSRP3 compilation with people from the original CSRP would be nice (my favorite was Welcome Home by Facelessman). I don't know how well any further remixes from me would go, though. It seems like finding/making good samples is half the battle and I don't really have the production education to listen to a thing and say "this would be great with this other thing I got." If we do end up either updating CSRP2 or starting up a CSRP3, I'd be glad to take a stab at it.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
We need to do a...

CSRP (1.0 / 1.0 + 1.0 / 2.0 + 1.0/6.0 + 1.0/24.0 + 1.0/120.0 + 1.0 + 720.0 + ...)

before CSRP3.

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM
graters gonna grate
[media]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43330715/Swim%2C%20Ikachan.mp3[/media]
I fixed up Swim, Ikachan a bit. Which other remixes should I fix?

I think all of them, actually. Though fixing should be as simple as just adding a compressor.

edit @ nailcliper: Yep, I already took care of renewing the site, thanks for the reminder.

So yeah, anyone who'd like to do some brushing up of remixes feel free to do so, and either post the results in this thread or on my profile. It'd be nice if DaPhinoXX were still around, as the clipping in his remix would be a real easy fix of just turning the organ volume down.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Been here way too long...
We need to do a...

CSRP (1.0 / 1.0 + 1.0 / 2.0 + 1.0/6.0 + 1.0/24.0 + 1.0/120.0 + 1.0 + 720.0 + ...)

before CSRP3.
Who the hell uses floats when dealing with factorials?

@wedge I could probably do some website work again if that's necessary.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The numerators (1.0) are necessary for floating point division and not integer division to occur.
The denominators are also floats so the compiler needs to do less work.

Now, if you said reals and not floats, that would make sense because you would be dividing numbers in math, which actually sometimes yields non-integer results.
But you used the computer science term. Unless you're into Python 3, the floats are necessary to prevent rounding down.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:27 PM
graters gonna grate
The necessary website work will probably pretty minimal, but I'll letcha know if you can help.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM
"Huzzah!"
Well, cool stuff. I just found out that my broken audio interface is actually not broken; it works totally fine. And I just got my midi controller back from a friend who was borrowing it, so I'm all set for some recording. I'm getting kind of busy as of late, but I expect to have one remix done by the end of the year. I'm not sure if I'm going to do more than one remix as I'm developing an indie RPG that I need to be putting most of my free time into. Unfortunately, I had to sell my mixing speakers some time back because I was low on money, but I know more about music than I did a couple years ago, so I should be able to do just fine without those speakers. Besides, I've got an okay pair of mixing head phones that should do the job.

Still not sure which track I'm going to remix though. I'll have to give the OST a full listen.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
[media]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43330715/StoneWhiteWall%202.mp3[/media]

Another one fixed. I'm doing more than just adding a compressor to these, but it's mostly just fiddling with audio levels.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:13 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm, well, I was trying to do a rock cover-style remix of "People of the Root". But I couldn't figure out the tempo and time signature. I thought I had it but I ended up getting a slightly off-tempo piece of crap... I really wanted to do something that hasn't been remixed, but now I don't have any desire to do anything else besides this song. Bringing this up because I've given up for now. I've got other important things to tend to that are actually time sensitive, so it looks like I might not get around to doing a remix for quite some time.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Here are the download links for the Remastered Cave Story remixes I made:

Egg No 00 2.0 (Pulse remix):
http://www.mediafire.com/?uiiojfix6zxwvn5

Pillow Of Fire 2.0 (Eyes of Flame remix):
http://www.mediafire.com/?4mc2bch4jun7kwb

Stone White Wall 2.0 (King’s theme remix):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5fhzposhdfr5ajd

Stronghold of the Wind (Wind Fortress/Balcony remix):
http://www.mediafire.com/?ehrpmppgq0b5ril

Thermal Winds (Geothermal remix):
http://www.mediafire.com/?ghj3u4k1k3uf58e

Swim, Ikachan 2.0 (Ikachan remix):
http://www.mediafire.com/?3n620ehl6wiucjy

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM
graters gonna grate
Just in case anyone cares, the changes aren't being finished today as I had planned. What remains to be done though is not much - I just need to do the piano/vocal mixing for TJGO and re-upload all changed files to the website (meaning mine and GIR's).

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
You guys just HAD to make some rock and roll ear rape...

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:14 AM
graters gonna grate
Dunc2403 said:
Will you be adding the album art for the bonus album?
What album art?

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Say, this is pretty interesting.

You guys still accept new comers? I would like to join if ever.