Trying to find a mod seemingly named "Cave Story 2", possibly translated in English.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:13 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello, it's my first post to this forum! :mahin:

I was browsing YouTube the other day when in my recommended tab, I saw an odd looking video which seemed to
be showcasing some sort of mod that appeared to be named "Cave Story 2" uploaded by a user named ハチノサギリWSP .

Unfortunately, they are a Japanese speaker and the video was uploaded 7 years ago, so I have no way to ask them
for a way to play this mod. They did post a link to the mod, but it doesn't work anymore.

I apologize if I uploaded this to the wrong category, I don't really know how this kind of forum works..

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:36 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
(To answer your last question, this probably should've been posted in the Mods general discussion)

That link you have is indeed the original download link for Japanese Cave Story 2, which was hosted on a site called Doukutsu Uploader... which has been dead for a long while now...
Luckily, a partial backup of DU exists, and it has an earlier version of that mod saved: https://ux.getuploader.com/cave_shelter/download/88
Alternatively, it's been mirrored in discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/312733374831788034/705649482225680384/2.zip

Make sure that you rename the outer folder to not contain any unicode characters, otherwise you won't be able to open the game.

Edit: There is no English translation btw. There was one in progress a long time ago, but there was never any released build.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:44 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thank you very much, Brayconn.

In fact, you just so happened to answer my post on Reddit a few hours ago.
And also, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong category, I should've looked more
into them.

And one last thing, is there a way that I can get the text to show up right?
I may not understand Japanese, but I'm trying to learn it and all that gibberish
bothers me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:48 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
And one last thing, is there a way that I can get the text to show up right?
I may not understand Japanese, but I'm trying to learn it and all that gibberish
bothers me.
Use Locale Emulator.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I already tried this before and for some reason the Locale Emulator buttons wouldn't show up when I right clicked, so when I saw you sending me that I just thought that I'd do it again and it SOMEHOW worked.

So I guess, thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:10 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
(To answer your last question, this probably should've been posted in the Mods general discussion)

That link you have is indeed the original download link for Japanese Cave Story 2, which was hosted on a site called Doukutsu Uploader... which has been dead for a long while now...
Luckily, a partial backup of DU exists, and it has an earlier version of that mod saved: https://ux.getuploader.com/cave_shelter/download/88
Alternatively, it's been mirrored in discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/312733374831788034/705649482225680384/2.zip

Make sure that you rename the outer folder to not contain any unicode characters, otherwise you won't be able to open the game.

Edit: There is no English translation btw. There was one in progress a long time ago, but there was never any released build.
The mod crashed on me.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:42 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The mod crashed on me.
90% pretty sure that's the problem, but it's possible it could be something else.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:08 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
90% pretty sure that's the problem, but it's possible it could be something else.
Worked for me thanks.

Also does someone has a english patch?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:20 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."