Cave Story: Tweaked (NEW: Version 1.4!)

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
A boost meter? That's super neat! (Not sure how much I'll use it, but cool none the less.)
Being able to make any background tiles darker is super helpful as well, I will be using that a lot. I don't get why no 0%, but 25% is close enough I suppose.
Thanks for the improved Cave Story experience. :orangebell:

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:30 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's not background tiles being changed, but the stage background. The stage background being usually a static image or (in the case of bkFog/bkMoon) an image with certain parts of it being moved laterally at different speeds to make a parallax effect. There aren't multiple layers of tiles in Cave Story
Ok actually I'm stupid and didn't look at the image for more than 5 seconds, it's both the stage background and tiles of type 0, 1 and all other types that draw behind the player.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 8:41 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
im genuinely so excited for 1.3 . this is probably the definitive way to play cave story

Oct 15, 2020 at 2:37 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, yo.

Can you make a version that is compatible with RetroArch...?

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:14 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's not background tiles being changed, but the stage background. The stage background being usually a static image or (in the case of bkFog/bkMoon) an image with certain parts of it being moved laterally at different speeds to make a parallax effect. There aren't multiple layers of tiles in Cave Story
Ok actually I'm stupid and didn't look at the image for more than 5 seconds, it's both the stage background and tiles of type 0, 1 and all other types that draw behind the player.
yup! I took this into account and added a new surface for the stage tiles that are rendered behind objects/Quote.

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hey, yo.

Can you make a version that is compatible with RetroArch...?

So, this appears to be a fairly common question when it comes to CSE2 and its forks.

RetroArch, and most specifically LibRetro, has a lot of requirements for implementation. Since the intent is that every core operates purely as back-end so Retro can serve as front end (and abstract away some problems such as controller customization), building CSE2 to comply with these specifications would be a rather time consuming task. Clownacy (the main developer of base CSE2) already tried some time ago and didn't get too far.

Furthermore, due to the nature of CSE2 being reverse-engineered code, it cannot be licensed as open source. This limits its availability to be distributed for open source distros and applications. This is compounded by the fact that RetroArch has an already available, open source engine for Cave Story: NXEngine. So even if we got thru the chore of implementing support for RetroArch, we can't guarantee that it will be added to the library.

Due to these factors, I have decided to not commit to a RetroArch version of Tweaked. Maybe down the road I'll try, but as of this moment it's not in the scope of the project. I know some people have shown interest in porting base CSE2 and potentially Tweaked on their own, however.

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
p374353-0-unknown.png

Spanish Support for Tweaked is now a thing!

Thanks to Pummelator for adding the code to handle Vagrant Traducciones' translation.

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:43 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, this appears to be a fairly common question when it comes to CSE2 and its forks.

RetroArch, and most specifically LibRetro, has a lot of requirements for implementation. Since the intent is that every core operates purely as back-end so Retro can serve as front end (and abstract away some problems such as controller customization), building CSE2 to comply with these specifications would be a rather time consuming task. Clownacy (the main developer of base CSE2) already tried some time ago and didn't get too far.

Furthermore, due to the nature of CSE2 being reverse-engineered code, it cannot be licensed as open source. This limits its availability to be distributed for open source distros and applications. This is compounded by the fact that RetroArch has an already available, open source engine for Cave Story: NXEngine. So even if we got thru the chore of implementing support for RetroArch, we can't guarantee that it will be added to the library.

Due to these factors, I have decided to not commit to a RetroArch version of Tweaked. Maybe down the road I'll try, but as of this moment it's not in the scope of the project. I know some people have shown interest in porting base CSE2 and potentially Tweaked on their own, however.
oh.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:47 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Tweaked 1.3 should be dropping really soon, but before that happens, I have to give some news.

Due to recent... discoveries about the person behind the translation, I have decided to both pull this person out of the credits and any reference to the Tweaked project and take down the currently available Japanese builds. The japanese files will remain in place (by now) until I can find another translator for the project.

CS: Tweaked will soon implement a code of conduct for any contributors.

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:57 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
this seems really cool that people are still doing stuff with this game, I haven’t been on here in 2 years and coming back and seeing the support it’s getting is still really cool. A little off topic though.

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
As part of the family of mods and projects forked from CSE2, Tweaked has been taken down from GitHub after a DMCA takedown requested by Nicalis.

As such, the project is currently on hold until we figure out this mess and I can properly evaluate all our options. CSE2 developers, myself and some other people are discussing our courses of action.

Thank you for supporting this project, and I'm certain this is not the last you'll hear of it.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:36 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
p376113-0-eguiahxsail93sformatpngnamelarge.png

Kept ya waiting, huh.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:42 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Whoa, mirrored. I sense something meta going on.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:17 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I've started work in implementing proper music.tbl compatibility. This will allow mod makers to feed their own music tables to the game, which then can be used to play music. The game will default to vanilla CS music if no music.tbl is provided.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Version 1.3.1 (codename Mirror Magic) is up!

Changelog:
- Added new Tweak: Mirror Mode! Flip your game sideways in the Tweaks menu to experience the game in a surprisingly new way!
- Removed Tweaks menu from main menu. It remains available on pause menu. This is on preparation for a major feature in the next update that will make Tweaks depend on a save file rather than being set globally.
- Reverted npc.tbl change that I had done way early in development. This was done to ensure compatibility with mods that rely on vanilla surfaces (such as Randomizer)
- Implemented backend support for music.tbl. This is not operative yet, but the backend support now exists. I'm still ironing out some details before making it publically available.
-
You can now revert the Kero character select by holding strafe (exactly the same way used to unlock it)

It's available for download in Doukutsu Club, and a mirror (heh) is available here: https://box.oneninefour.cl/cloud/index.php/s/tpXtfRpEoEngetQ

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
CHEATING MODE i see...

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:06 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
will the source code or linux builds ever become available again?

Dec 22, 2021 at 11:38 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
will the source code or linux builds ever become available again?
I gotta upload a ne linux build soon, mgith skip 1.3.1 for the next bugfix tho, which should be done this week.

Regarding source code, atm I'm being very careful to not share it as I fear another DMCA claim. If things change, I may make it available again.

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:15 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
CS: Tweaked version 1.3.1.2 is up!

- Reimplemented bmp compatibility
- Fixed issue where colission with blocks was not working properly on Mirror Mode
- Fixed Ironhead battle having flipped controls on Mirror Mode

You can download it on Doukutsu Club: https://doukutsuclub.knack.com/database#my-mods/mod-details/5ecc783fee5fa10016eef82e/

I don't usually do this, but this is a good time to announce that this will be the final iteration of 1.3, and work is now dedicated to a future version currently called 1.4. This version will address common issues (such as mod compatibility being broken after adding the upscale) and also focus on providing several features I intend, most notably better compatibility with Randomizer and probably a way to handle multiple save files.