Glitch where multiple non-interactable sprites of MyChar.pbm appears randomly in the map.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 2.46.20 PM.png

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:29 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm, it doesn't seem to be that random.
Those are normally entities used to hold an event in the original Cave Story.
Did you put the sprite of the PC in the spot where there should be nothing? That is, the top left of screen?

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:16 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Those are normally entities used to hold an event in the original Cave Story.
thanks for letting me know.
Did you put the sprite of the PC in the spot where there should be nothing? That is, the top left of screen?
i'm not really sure how to...

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hmm, did you use the main character's sprites in other ""sprite sets"" other than mychar, by any chance?
Also, my bad for saying the top left of the screen implying that I was referring to the game itself.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:59 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This can only happen if you either filled the top left 16x16 space in NpcSym.bmp with a sprite, or reassigned Npc 000 (Null entity)'s bitmap to MyChar.bmp. Which one did you do?

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:04 PM
This can only happen if you either filled the top left 16x16 space in NpcSym.bmp with a sprite, or reassigned Npc 000 (Null entity)'s bitmap to MyChar.bmp. Which one did you do?
It was probably the 2nd one.

how do you change it back to show nothing?

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:38 PM
War criminal
how do you change it back to show nothing?
By reassigning it back to NpcSym.bmp (if you've used npc.tbl to do assign it to MyChar.bmp, then it should be easy).

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:47 PM
By reassigning it back to NpcSym.bmp (if you've used npc.tbl to do assign it to MyChar.bmp, then it should be easy).
ok, but how do i actually do that? do i need to use booster's lab?

Jul 29, 2020 at 11:58 PM
War criminal
Cave Editor: Click on the "Edit NPC Table" button.
Booster's Lab: Click on the "Entity" bullet and then click on the "Edit npc.tbl" button.

The null entity should already be selected since it's the first one (NPC000). Under "Tileset", make sure the entity's assigned to "20 - Npc\NpcSym.bmp"

Are you sure it's the second cause that's happened, though? Because it doesn't sound like it, imo.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:44 PM
Cave Editor: Click on the "Edit NPC Table" button.
Booster's Lab: Click on the "Entity" bullet and then click on the "Edit npc.tbl" button.

The null entity should already be selected since it's the first one (NPC000). Under "Tileset", make sure the entity's assigned to "20 - Npc\NpcSym.bmp"

Are you sure it's the second cause that's happened, though? Because it doesn't sound like it, imo.
thanks for the tip. it works perfectly now.

also it was the 2nd one

Last edited: