Modding Festival 2019 Showcase & Voting

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:51 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hello everyone! It's time to submit your votes for the community vote of the 2019 Modding Festival.

Mods
Kanpachi Moment! by CyberSoup
Festive Quest by Eli
White Hell by zxin
Download all

Voting
In order to vote, please post a list of all of the mods in order of favourite to least favourite. This should be based on how much you personally enjoyed them.
1. MOD A
2. MOD D
3. MOD C
4. MOD B
You may also want to provide some helpful feedback and criticism to the mod's creator/s to help them improve in the future!

Prize
The creator/s of mod that gets the best votes will receive a mystery prize.

Livestream
Date/time TBA. Please expect early-mid January. Voting will end on the day of the livestream.

Happy playing/voting everyone! :)

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:30 PM
"Huzzah!"
What is this? I don't remember this ever being a thing. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Dec 29, 2019 at 5:42 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is for the Christmas modding contest. A follow-up thread has usually been done for previous contests.

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:12 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
can mod submitters vote?
i will be voting regardless
1. Festive Quest
2. White Hell
3. Kanpachi Moment
good contest

Dec 29, 2019 at 6:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
3. Kanpachi Moment
aw why you vote yours last?

Votes and Feedback

1. Festive Quest
"Classic" vanilla mod, good story with unexpected twists, and while there are some minor bugs (which I don't know if ever got fixed as I've only played the first versions submitted to Doukutsu Club), it was enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the continuation.

2. Kanpachi Moment
I don't know why, but the mod loader is doing something crazy on my computer. Every time I die, it takes a significant amount of seconds for the game to reload and it sometimes even shows the "not responding" thing in the window title. But this isn't necessarily your fault.

I might have been too blind to notice anything, but you should give some instructions on how the modified booster works because it took me faaaar too long to figure it out.

But overall it was a cool concept, especially for something made in one day.

3. White Hell
The reduced i-frames are pain. I had kind of given up on this mod. If the competition's theme was challenge mods, I would have definitely placed it first. But apart from the snowy aspect, this doesn't really give me a festive vibe. My personal expectation was something warm and fun to play, not something I'd bash my head over because I absolutely suck. Great concept anyway!

Thanks again SSketh for this competition! If you plan on making an Easter-themed one in the future, you can count me in too :p Congrats to everyone who has participated!

Dec 30, 2019 at 12:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
i can't play the other two so i don't think it would be fair for me to vote, but good luck!

Dec 31, 2019 at 7:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
Here's my vote:

1.Festive Quest
2.White Hell
3.Kanpachi Moment

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:12 AM
Modding Community Discord Moderator
CSE Discord Moderator
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Votes:
1. Festive Quest - Seriously 10/10. Everything is awesome except for the part where it ends.
2. Kanpachi Moment - Cool ASM stuff, interesting/weird story. Too bad it's so short.
3. White Hell - (Disclaimer: didn't actually finish this myself, I saw someone stream the whole mod in discord.) A quality hard mod. Unfortunately, the final boss looked like a joke, and I'm not a huge fan of hard mods, so...

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Jan 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've tried these out, they've all got some neat stuff and I'm glad this managed to get some proper entries together. I'll pass on voting because I can't call any large differences between them in terms of overall quality/haven't finished them and have other things I want to focus on at the moment. It might have just skipped in on a technicality before the no contest enforcement started but that didn't turn out so bad :debug:

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Had a blast.
1) Festive Quest
2) White Hell
3) Kanpachi Moment!

Played Kanpachi Moment! first. It was a little bizarre and slightly frustrating at first. Yet I appreciated the new mechanics, and enjoyed leaping around quite a bit. The moving platforms for instance were a neat touch too. However, I got the machine gun seconds later. Which basically nullified all the new mechanics since I was lazy and leveled it up DX
(Still got sniped by the gravekeeper xD) Overall, I quite enjoyed the platforming, altered monsters, etc. Story was curious, but all over the place D: But I guess it all makes sense at the end xP Still was fun. Don't think it was festive though?

Secondly, I played Festive Quest. Hohoho! This surprised me right away, and had me smiling. Expected a small little Christmas tale, but ended up with something on a grander scale. There might have been a few moments later on that seemed out of character to me, but still this was just fantastic fun. Please finish this! I would love to see things play out.

Lastly, I took on White Hell... (I made the mistake of copy pasting the dll injector and played through it at 60 fps...)
I had no idea what to expect. But, heck it was well polished. And after playing a game like Celeste recently, I could force myself to deal with this pixel perfect obstacle course.
I usually stay away from hell mods, but I was intrigued to see if it was possible. Several times I hit a brick wall mostly due to not realizing the correct pattern required. I also ended up restarting when nearing the end since I managed to ignore the hp warning when starting a new game. Second time I stayed untouched until right near the end, leaving me with 8 or so HP for the boss... Oh man. For whatever reason, that boss frustrated me lol. Probably because I was sure I was RIGHT at the end, but kept dying foolishly. Really great mod though. Maybe TOO hard for most people to deal with? Especially with no HP refills... Still, it teaches you some Cave Story engine mechanics that I rarely used.

...I almost wish it was longer lol. Though that true ending was ... odd? Amusing, maybe it flew over my head, or it was just anti-climatic? Maybe I should re-read the signs again? Forget what they said... Was too focused on all that dying. Played a total of 2 and a half hours, 30 mins to get near the end, another hour to reach it at full hp and then looking for a way to open the box/time trial...
(Wonder if there is any story differences in Time Trial?)

Anyway, great showing everyone. <3
Might upload footage of the gameplay later.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:22 PM
The livestream should start in approximately an hour!
:) Will last for a few hours, or until I finish all of the mods.
Please submit your votes now because voting closes when the stream starts. Hurry!

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:21 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Interesting content, 'don't got much to add, the mods were all diverse and intriguing:
1st: Kapanchi Moment
2nd: Festive Quest
3rd: White Hell

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:25 AM
And the results are in!

1st place
Festive Quest by Eli with 17 points

2nd place
Kanpachi Moment by CyberSoup
AND White Hell by zxin with 9 points each

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:29 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Congrats to Eli and thanks to everyone involved. They were fun!
X-Calibar said:
Might upload footage of the gameplay later.
We have the twitch stream replay, but I already recorded while playing:

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:39 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Prize
The creator/s of mod that gets the best votes will receive a mystery prize.

So it's 4 days after hearing who won and we still don't know what the mystery prize is, apparently not even the person who won it, when will we hear about it?

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
yeah, it's been almost exactly a week with no word. i sent a follow-up DM yesterday and no reply yet, what gives?

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm pretty sure they did prepare something, but forgot about actually giving it.
Also the last time they were active was the 9th of January so I don't think they're ignoring your messages, they'll come back eventually.
And if it's not like this, well, do whatever you want.