MODCON 2019 (Cave Story Annual Modding Contest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:13 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Let's just start open a Ludum Dare next time. More and more of us are moving on to game dev, anyway ;p

Buy Jade's Game

Nov 17, 2019 at 4:50 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I do agree with zxin that allowing fan games for a modding contest is silly turnout is only dropping and dropping lately and I don't expect people to have attention for a modding contest for half a year, I don't know where all the modding activity is going to but I can defenitely confirm that motivation for only small mods is more common (It defenitely is with me unless I joined a large project).
If someone did a small one-day modcon in a weekend day I can probably manage to join in on that but I don't think contests with huge timeframes are gonna work nowadays unless the forum gets a lot more crowded.

Buy Jade's Game
Can you please stop that, it's discouraging me from checking it out in the first place.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:03 PM
War criminal
Can you please stop that, it's discouraging me from checking it out in the first place.
This is literally first time I've done that here. So calm down, stommerik.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
A fangame contest would be much more interesting than a modding contest, at least, in my opinion it would be.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:18 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
A fangame contest would be much more interesting than a modding contest, at least, in my opinion it would be.
I feel like it would indeed be more interesting but I also kinda feel like the turnout would still be quite low.

Nov 17, 2019 at 7:18 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
If someone did a small one-day modcon in a weekend day I can probably manage to join in on that
that's basically what the CSMC's modfest is lol

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Unless the next modcon produces some actual results, however, I really think I'm just going to have to call a years' break because at the moment they simply aren't worth the time and strain they put on those involved anymore.
Yeah I think I'm gonna have to hold this to my word. Everyone's focus is so divided at the moment that a plain recharge is called for. I'm placing a block on all modding contests during 2020. That includes smaller contests - they still take up a lot of time and I want to keep distractions to a minimum for this period. Modfests are fine I suppose but it'd be nice to see some more dedicated personal projects rolling out again :orangebell:

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:12 AM
War criminal
Are there really any?
Depends if anyone from the CSMC will ever speak up again. At least this website gets any outside traffic unlike Doukutsu Club.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:45 PM
War criminal
Is the CSMC dying or something?
I wouldn't know, I'm not in there anymore because modding Cave Story will literally get you nowhere at this point.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm pretty positive about this. As long as there are projects like Red Sands the community will stay alive.
And if it dies I guess Doom fans like me can move to DoomWorld(BUT I WILL NEVER DO IT!!)

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:33 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Alright all you beautiful people, the tag MODCON 2019 has been added to pixeltellsthetruth.solutions.

You are now free to submit your entries whenever. (please submit early so you can get feedback and bug-testing done!)

Nov 24, 2019 at 5:05 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
BLink dropped out and has privately made it clear he's no longer interested....
Alright all you beautiful people, the tag MODCON 2019 has been added to pixeltellsthetruth.solutions.

You are now free to submit your entries whenever. (please submit early so you can get feedback and bug-testing done!)
what

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:18 PM
War criminal
But didn't literally all two confirmed participants drop from this? At this point, I'd be damned it any last minute shitpost mods from everybody else get submitted, too!

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM
Soup Man

BLink you madman
i might enter modcon now

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:30 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Im not sure if i want to enter a contest where the one running it says its cancelled for unknown reasons before suddenly coming back saying its gonna happen anyway

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:23 AM
Soup Man
Im not sure if i want to enter a contest where the one running it says its cancelled for unknown reasons before suddenly coming back saying its gonna happen anyway
I don't think BLink ever said this on the thread

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:33 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm just a messenger to the info I received, but yeah apparently somewhere along the line of communication there was an assumption that was written as a fact. Whoops.

Also @BLink we're not doing tags anymore for competions, I thought you payed attention to that update.

Status
Not open for further replies.