Is Sue black?

Is Sue black?

• Total voters
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
There's something that confuses me whenever I see Sue in her human form. And it's not the fact that she doesn't wear pants unlike every other human in the game.

It's her skin color. After close observation, you'd probably consider her to be "black". But considering how the rest of her family doesn't look that way and the fact that she's apparently Asian (damn you Wikia), it could just be a tan or something.

So what do you guys think? Is Sue black?Face-Sue_Sakamoto_human_o.pngSue_Sakamoto_human_r.png20190414_180856.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 7:19 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
no

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:25 PM
Org Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I feel like somebody already asked this question in the Theories section, but anyways...

Sue having black skin can indicate one of two things:
1) Her father is black (or her biological parents are black). We never see Sue's father in the game, so anything goes.

2) Sue is following the Ganguro fashion trend.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro
Not as likely, because she looks very young and her hair is green, but she's pretty rebellious.

Apr 18, 2019 at 7:27 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I feel like somebody already asked this question in the Theories section, but anyways...

Sue having black skin can indicate one of two things:
1) Her father is black (or her biological parents are black). We never see Sue's father in the game, so anything goes.

Not as likely, because she looks very young and her hair is green, but she's pretty rebellious.
So which one is more likely?

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:05 PM
War criminal
Anime characters look a whole lot more like white people, despite a lot of them having Asian names, does that mean they're white all along and Netflix has been faithful to the source all along?

Apr 18, 2019 at 8:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Anime characters look a whole lot more like white people, despite a lot of them having Asian names, does that mean they're white all along and Netflix has been faithful to the source all along?
I, uh, don't get what you're trying to say here.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:43 AM
"Huzzah!"
Well, her skin is dark in her human form but I don't think she's african american.
I think she's asian.

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
My theory is that she got suntanned while she was running around inside the island and it didn't show up until she was turned back into a person

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:55 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Don't mind the green hair, a majority of the humans in Cave Story seem to have green hair. The only ones with regular colored hair are the hermit gunsmith and the unused pixel(?) npc.

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
I mean, the colour of her skin in the picture doesn't look like the kind of black you'd get with a tan, so my theory is that Sue is actually a black asian man.

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My theory is that she got suntanned while she was running around inside the island and it didn't show up until she was turned back into a person
suntanned
inside the caves
sure

anyway she might have heritage from the pacific islands or something, they have darker skin

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:35 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
this is probably canon
sue.jpg

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:54 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I believe sue is black just because of her incarnations from the undead fight and the credits cutscene does show her as a dark-skinned person, while all mimigas have white fur (chako the exception), but that doesn't mean they're all white inherently.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:23 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Hey guys, I found something weird. In the top right of NpcMiza.pbm, you can see two versions of Human Sue. The one on the left shows Sue having light skin while the one on the right shows her having dark skin.

So maybe the Undead Core theory is correct.InShot_20190420_092037468.jpg

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hey guys, I found something weird. In the top right of NpcMiza.pbm, you can see two versions of Human Sue. The one on the left shows Sue having light skin while the one on the right shows her having dark skin.
So maybe the Undead Core theory is correct.
That isn't exactly odd, nor does it confirm the Undead Core theory. Pixel probably just drew up a sprite for a lighter skinned Sue because (at the time) he wanted her character to be white, then at some point changed his mind and didn't bother to remove the old version

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
That isn't exactly odd, nor does it confirm the Undead Core theory. Pixel probably just drew up a sprite for a lighter skinned Sue because (at the time) he wanted her character to be white, then at some point changed his mind and didn't bother to remove the old version
Not the first time something involving Human Sue was unused. I mean, she even wears pants here.

Apr 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Pointless double post
Although, if Sue was actually black, how would that correlate to the rest of her family, as they're clearly not dark-skinned like she is?

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:31 PM
Based Member
Why is this in the S.P.O.T.? Even though the conversation is light-hearted, I think this qualifies for the actual theories session.