New CS Players Are all 12?

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:23 AM
Off-screen redemption arc
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This is probably the wrong place for this thread; sorry.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that most new players of Cave Story, at least those who join the CSTSF, are around the age of 12 (when they join).
Has anyone else noticed this? Am I wrong and I'm only noticing the 12-year-olds?

Even if I am right, I don't have any idea why all the new players are 12. Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter?

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:28 AM
I guess that the reason why there’s so much 12 is probably because of the indie/8 bit style games that became a genre that kids really come to like(for some reason).

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:37 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I don't think making a thread like this will leave the best impression to most, but a discussion like this is a discussion worth having.

My best guess is that the Switch release was what caught the attention of so many younger individuals, as their parents probably bought it for them because they didn't entirely know what their child liked. I myself found Cave Story when I was like... 10? 11?... NICALiS has a much larger reach than most people are willing to admit, and, for this game's sake, it's a good thing. The fact that the community of this game has lasted for so long is impressive, with people of all different generations coming together to discuss this game and other works by Pixel. In its current state, the influx of people has led to an increase in motivation to innovate. Stuff like CSE and Clownacy's mod loader probably wouldn't have happened nearly as fast if at all if it weren't for people becoming interested in what should be a dead game. As much as alot of people (myself included) abhor the behavior of some newer members, I feel it is necessary for the community in some regards, Cave Story isn't really aimed towards an older audience, it's aimed towards a much younger one, and NICALiS is driving that in with the rather questionable crossover content.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that if you're under like... 13... you're not allowed to use discord. I myself want to stress that to the moderators of the servers for the sake of not getting them shut down.

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:44 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cave Story isn't really aimed towards an older audience, it's aimed towards a much younger one, and NICALiS is driving that in with the rather questionable crossover content.
inb4 the Red Crystal really does become the main villain in Cave Story 2 shortly after emerging from Sue's ass after it went in there in the battle with the Undead Core

Maybe we need a better example on what can be done with the game that can appeal to both older and newer audiences, though considering Nicalis' plans, it's gonna have to be community made. The bigger challenge is going to be advocating it without any potential trouble (though I wonder how the hell so many romhacks and fangames of larger properties are able to bypass it all)

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:47 AM
Crossover content? Was there something I missed?

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:51 AM
War criminal
It's been a while since you've been in these forums, Blade Stranger. But it's not something to have a Crystal Crisis over, it's really nothing new.

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:52 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Crystal crisis...
That one fighting game that I forgot the name of...
Some other really specific content...
Tyrone's gone into a habit of slapping Quote and Isaac onto everything, and I myself am not sure if it's a good idea. But atleast it's some sort of attention and "Development" being made on Cave Story.
Edit : Blade Strangers, thank you tewwi winkan

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:24 AM
That seems kind of strange. But I guess if it’s getting new players into Cave Story, I can’t complain.

I know I would never have found it if it hadn’t been mentioned in some obscure flash game I played once as a small child.

That being said, is there a reason only 12-year-olds seem to be checking this game out? Are the games Quote appears in also geared towards children? I feel like he could do decently in a crossover with IPs not exclusive to children.

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:30 AM
War criminal
That being said, is there a reason only 12-year-olds seem to be checking this game out?
Regardless of Nicalis being liked or not, they did manage to spread awareness over it starting with the Wii port 9 years ago. And it's been continuing to spread with 3 ports (4 if you include Cave Story 3D) being commercially available on popular platforms like Steam, 3DS, and Switch. And with modding on the original, freeware port somehow being able to withstand the test of time, of course there will be a rise in young people here. Give or take a few years, and they'll pretty much be in the same spot as us right now.

Mar 19, 2019 at 11:01 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I was 14 when I first played cave story so I aprove

Mar 19, 2019 at 8:21 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
12s have self importance syndrome so they join the forums as to show off their excellence

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:32 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I was 13 when I played it. Got it from the DSi store

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:09 AM
Mar 20, 2019 at 7:44 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:53 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm 12.
Most people don't seem to care.

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:18 AM
Based Member
I'm 12.
Most people don't seem to care.
I remember about this time 7 years ago, we had a big influx of 12-year-olds, and there was a huge cultural clash between the users who were 19+ at the time and those who were 13 and younger. I'm happy to say things aren't anywhere near that bad anymore, and now days we only get the occasional immature 12-year-old who poses a problem, and most users here 19+ years old respond to them much more gracefully.