Noob Story Beta

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'll fix the bug, Walrus_Guy.

Yup, I'm gonna give the player a choice to stay with Sue in the remake. Nobody really has time to breathe in the story, as you're constantly made to fight enemies and meet new people, without developing the characters you've already met. That was my main problem with vanilla CS. But vanilla CS gave you a sense of who the characters were with just a few lines of dialogue. I want to make every character at least slightly fleshed out, but that would make the story feel bloated. As it is, I compromised by making about half the story optional, through talking to NPCs. The problem with that is that you spend more time talking to random nobodies than the important characters. Maybe having optional cutscenes between the main characters would help.

Questionable spike places in the Tsohg Arena... I worried that people would give that response for the normal ending, but for the best ending I thought it was alright. I just really liked the concept of the map changing as the waves progress, though I will agree that adding spikes everywhere isn't the most creative option. I'm pretty sure Balrog jumps every other time he runs, not due to the map you fight him in. The key is to always be on the low ground, weird as that sounds.

Speaking of the difficulty, that's half the reason why I'm remaking it. Maybe the remake should be like WTF Story and have an easy mode. Normal WTF Story is pretty hard, and clearly designed for people who are really good at CS. While I don't know how easy mode works in WTF Story as I haven't played it, I want the remake to have mostly redone level design, instead of just giving the player more life capsules.

The dialogue post Egg Valley is edgy and cynical? I never really noticed a difference in the dialogue's tone, just that Egg Valley was around the time that I wanted the mod to have an actual story. In fact, any references to Shiro as well as the whole Tsohg Arena were added after the normal ending was made. Back on topic, the only parts I think could be edgy/cynical are Mister Mindguy's interactions with Sue. Can you give me a few examples of edgy/cynical moments?

The only really edgy/cynical moment was cut out. Basically, the bad ending would continue after you jump in the spikes. Sue finds herself back in her house, and instead of the life capsule past the death spikes there is a door. Past the door is be an attic, where Sue finds Kazuma. He gets slashed by invisible blades and dies. Then Mister Mindguy summons Momorin's decapitated head on the floor. Mister Mindguy's true secret identity is be revealed, and Sue is forced to kill Quote (who is a reskinned Curly). After that, Sue gets really pissed at Mister Mindguy and starts dropping F-Bombs out of nowhere. She gets teleported away, and the final image is of her impaled by death spikes, as Mister Mindguy flies away. It's hilariously bad looking back. You can actually see the files for it in PrtPens and PrtHell.

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:04 AM
Org Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Questionable spike places in the Tsohg Arena... I worried that people would give that response for the normal ending, but for the best ending I thought it was alright. I just really liked the concept of the map changing as the waves progress, though I will agree that adding spikes everywhere isn't the most creative option. I'm pretty sure Balrog jumps every other time he runs, not due to the map you fight him in. The key is to always be on the low ground, weird as that sounds.

Speaking of the difficulty, that's half the reason why I'm remaking it. Maybe the remake should be like WTF Story and have an easy mode. Normal WTF Story is pretty hard, and clearly designed for people who are really good at CS. While I don't know how easy mode works in WTF Story as I haven't played it, I want the remake to have mostly redone level design, instead of just giving the player more life capsules.

The dialogue post Egg Valley is edgy and cynical? I never really noticed a difference in the dialogue's tone, just that Egg Valley was around the time that I wanted the mod to have an actual story. In fact, any references to Shiro as well as the whole Tsohg Arena were added after the normal ending was made. Back on topic, the only parts I think could be edgy/cynical are Mister Mindguy's interactions with Sue. Can you give me a few examples of edgy/cynical moments?

The only really edgy/cynical moment was cut out. Basically, the bad ending would continue after you jump in the spikes. Sue finds herself back in her house, and instead of the life capsule past the death spikes there is a door. Past the door is be an attic, where Sue finds Kazuma. He gets slashed by invisible blades and dies. Then Mister Mindguy summons Momorin's decapitated head on the floor. Mister Mindguy's true secret identity is be revealed, and Sue is forced to kill Quote (who is a reskinned Curly). After that, Sue gets really pissed at Mister Mindguy and starts dropping F-Bombs out of nowhere. She gets teleported away, and the final image is of her impaled by death spikes, as Mister Mindguy flies away. It's hilariously bad looking back. You can actually see the files for it in PrtPens and PrtHell.

The thing is, from my side it seemed like Balrog #17 jumped almost all the time, and it was always when it encounters ladders. Perhaps I'm not aware of what the AI actually does, though, so could be just me.
One thing that does lack in this mod were skipflags, though. It gets pretty tiring to read the same dialog after dying (think Balrog #17), so speeding up some cutscenes after death would work great there.
About the dialog post Egg Valley... I realized that it's more of implied, or not. This exchange between Momorin after you give her the lipstick and then the interaction between you and Santa's kid was probably what made me think it got edgier. Could be just comedy that I took too seriously, though. This mod feels too real, sometimes, ahah.

Easy mode sounds like a good idea. Most parts past Grasstown can be safely nerfed by removing some spikes and enemies, I think. Maybe some new blocks in tricky platforming sections, too? I imagine that, once you've added Easy Mode, there wouldn't be any reason to make any significant changes to Hard Mode, the difficulty is still fair, after all. I'd also suggest that you don't lock any endings from Easy Mode, but that's your call here.

also holy shit that cancelled bad ending

Nov 6, 2018 at 3:11 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
The thing is, from my side it seemed like Balrog #17 jumped almost all the time, and it was always when it encounters ladders. Perhaps I'm not aware of what the AI actually does, though, so could be just me.
One thing that does lack in this mod were skipflags, though. It gets pretty tiring to read the same dialog after dying (think Balrog #17), so speeding up some cutscenes after death would work great there.
About the dialog post Egg Valley... I realized that it's more of implied, or not. This exchange between Momorin after you give her the lipstick and then the interaction between you and Santa's kid was probably what made me think it got edgier. Could be just comedy that I took too seriously, though. This mod feels too real, sometimes, ahah.

Easy mode sounds like a good idea. Most parts past Grasstown can be safely nerfed by removing some spikes and enemies, I think. Maybe some new blocks in tricky platforming sections, too? I imagine that, once you've added Easy Mode, there wouldn't be any reason to make any significant changes to Hard Mode, the difficulty is still fair, after all. I'd also suggest that you don't lock any endings from Easy Mode, but that's your call here.

also holy shit that cancelled bad ending
I thought of the skipflag issue too, but I tried to alleviate it by making the pre-boss cutscenes very short. Though I don't know if skipflags would help the example you mentioned very much, since before then there's about a full minute of nothing but going down a vertical shaft. That's not something you can fix with a skipflag.

Huh, I just noticed that all of the parents in the mod are really passive-aggressive. Yeah, I can kinda see how the mod can feel too real. Sorry if that bothered you.

Hard mode would probably end up like you said: harder than intentionally hard mods.
EDIT: okay i should probably go into more detail as to why that is
Easy mode would have the same difficulty curve as vanilla CS, minus the bullshit best ending. Hard mode would have the same difficulty curve, but start at a much higher level. Easy mode would end with something akin to the normal ending in vanilla CS, while hard mode would end with something like Battletoads with infinite lives.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:33 PM
"Huzzah!"
I have only played a little bit of this mod and so far I think it's pretty good.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:28 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Welp, here we go again
I gotten through Egg valley with more or less difficulty.
2 balrog?
What an Nigtmare !
Don't know who was that mapignon, but if it's daisuke I give a thumbs up.
Knocked out, oh.

Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari 08_11_2018 16_29_40.png
Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari 08_11_2018 16_29_51.png
QuoteXSue 4ever <3
"I know where the person you search for"
I know where Quote."
Alright this narrator is just the bad guy.
I wonder if it's actually the cap that is cursed

"Mom can I have the key to the super scooter which can explose if I it a wall ?"
"Yes, just bring back my lipstick."
Best mom.

Back to Egg valley and wow it's changed alot
Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari 08_11_2018 16_47_02.png

Okay the narrator is really the bad guy.

I like the idea of going through an canal of pipes to get the machine gun, just more clever.

Input password.
Oh I forgot I think it was
Password inserted.

And that all I'm gonna say to not spoil people playthrough.
Overall I think that Noob Story is a mod that have a very interesting concepts and it did a good job,
I think that the "comedy" should stay because without it, the mod become even more then boring and the fact that the story take some time to start is a reason to keep comedy, without the comedy it's just a mod that people play the first 10 minutes and go away, and also without the comedy, the narrator idea become pretty much pointless because it's more annoying then special.
Now I just wonder if it's necessary to remake it from the ground up, because the mod isn't bad there's probably some glitchs to fix but that all(The live capsule in Egg valley? don't DNP).

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:58 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Welp, here we go again
I gotten through Egg valley with more or less difficulty.
2 balrog?
What an Nigtmare !
Don't know who was that mapignon, but if it's daisuke I give a thumbs up.
Knocked out, oh.

View attachment 5082
View attachment 5083
QuoteXSue 4ever <3
"I know where the person you search for"
I know where Quote."

"Mom can I have the key to the super scooter which can explose if I it a wall ?"
"Yes, just bring back my lipstick."
Best mom.

Back to Egg valley and wow it's changed alot
View attachment 5084

Okay the narrator is really the bad guy.

I like the idea of going through an canal of pipes to get the machine gun, just more clever.

Input password.
Oh I forgot I think it was
Password inserted.

Overall I think that Noob Story is a mod that have a very interesting concepts and it did a good job,
I think that the "comedy" should stay because without it, the mod become even more then boring and the fact that the story take some time to start is a reason to keep comedy, without the comedy it's just a mod that people play the first 10 minutes and go away, and also without the comedy, the narrator idea become pretty much pointless because it's more annoying then special.
Now I just wonder if it's necessary to remake it from the ground up, because the mod isn't bad there's probably some glitchs to fix but that all(The live capsule in Egg valley? don't DNP).
howd you get to that cave thing at the end?

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:19 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Nov 9, 2018 at 2:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
QuoteXSue 4ever <3
good for you

Yeah, pretty much.

Why? It's called a spoiler tag for a reason, and there's not much to spoil past dark Egg Valley anyway.

Aw, and I was just about to take 99% of the "comedy" out of the remake.

I'm only half joking.
I want the comedy to be more character based instead of "Hey, look at this XD thing this NPC says!" There are also gonna be a lot more serious moments, to the point where I'll probably call it a "dramedy" mod.
But the "comedy" will still be there, just toned down. It'll probably focus on Mary Sue being a jerk, Kazuma being a loser, and Chie acting nothing like a 5 year old. There will be a lot less memes and in-jokes (probably, you can never tell with me) and the comedy will be about the main characters instead of randos.

Your observation that people will stop playing because of a lack of comedy is weird for me. I would rather be hooked by good level design or interesting mechanics than whatever funny joke the creator is telling. It's also funny how you're the second person to find the "menacing" narrator annoying instead of, you know, menacing. I guess I should make him more sarcastic instead of, as zxin said, "agro for the sake of agro."

I'm remaking it because I'm not happy with it at the moment. Just by playing the game you can tell it's pretty shoddily made. That's only technically. I feel like the levels are too short. Road to Grasstown and Sand Zone are fine, but Egg Valley and its bosses can be beaten in 5 minutes (not counting the dialogue in the observation room) if you don't die. And while I'm fine with the format of "less than 5 minutes of shooting and platforming followed by 10 minutes of story in the beginning" like vanilla CS did, I don't want to do that in the mod. Every area should have substance to it in my eyes, even the First Cave. The levels themselves suffer from being too hard, to the point where it might become harder than something like WTF Story if I continue, something that I don't really want to make.

Anyways, thanks for beating the mod!

uh
The dark Egg Valley is the normal ending. If you've already beaten Egg Valley without going back to the Tsohg Arena with the Booster, you can't get the best ending. Trust me, it's not worth it. You have to go through a very hard version of the Tsohg Arena and go through an invisible hole in the floor just to get a creepy message and a "To Be Continued" screen.
To get the normal ending, talk to Momorin in Mimiga Village. After that it should be simple enough.

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
can you pls do more on this mod i really want to continue as playing as sue

Aug 20, 2020 at 7:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm glad you enjoyed my mod!
...But sorry, I probably won't continue it.
This is a "First Mod" through and through, and I'm personally not a huge fan of it in its current state. The "comedy," writing, and level design are a bit too noobish IMO, and it could get really unfair/frustrating. My plans were way too ambitious, and finishing it would require a lot of effort. There are some cool ideas and good moments, but I'd rather put those ideas into newer, better projects.

That said, I do have another mod, also starring Sue with a hat. It's unfinished right now, but I'm way more likely to continue it someday than with Noob Story.
It's not on the CSTSF, so here's a link:

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
oh cool

Last edited: