Cave Story The New Story ( One of my old mods I regret making)

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
I have been working on a cave story mod called cave story the new story.
it's my own fan made sequel.
The story goes like this.
A seemed like a normal morning until mushrooms start invading the thicket
nobody knows how this happend a dark and mysterious creature that looks similar to balrog tries to help you...
The mod is not finished yet so the only thing that's publicly available is a short demo.
Credit goes to Milon Luxy for the beta faces. The download link for the demo has been taken down because I regret making it. I will upload a new version of the demo soon...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:39 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Alright, and away we go...

p365644-0-iqxb2io.png

Uhh, this is really flat and that one tile is repeated over and over again.... is this intentional because it looks bad...

p365644-1-i4foir2.png

Here's at least something I did in 2 minutes, I'd suggest putting a bit more effort into the first bits of a mod.

It really shows how much you care about your project overall and all the good stuff..

p365644-2-k3dg0kt.png

This is hard to read and the anti-analyzing is bad.
Also this is not version 1.0.0.6

There are simple hacks included in Boosters Lab now that completely makes the title screen completely customization at the click of a button.

p365644-3-jkap9tw.png

This is two tiles repeated over and over and make a rubber room look like an amazing decorative piece.

p365644-4-8lzztpx.png

The Q in Quote is not capatalized but the B in Balrog is.
Also the textbox closes on the next line without a <NOD at the end.

p365644-5-eynfwzf.png

you cannot interact with the bed.

p365644-6-2igolvv.png

This is not the first time I've heard this phrase in the last 5 years I've been in this community.

I go out the door and appear in the middle of the room, I try to go back in the room but I'm next to the door to balrog's room??

p365644-7-imhdeyb.png

this room looks slightly less drab than the last one with a pinch more clusterfuck.

p365644-8-j2aquo6.png

I'm really getting sick of this single tile repeating mess.

Also floor is baren and doens't have rocks on it, also room is perfectly square.
I know you learned your shapes last year sometime, but you've got to break away from that fisher price style sometime.

p365644-9-lyz9nqx.png

Proper nouns need capitalization. the Q in Quote is lower case.
I'm not going to point out more grammatical errors but ugh.

The Save Disk event is corrupt so you can walk around a few frames before it starts it's event.

p365644-10-cag7s2i.png

Ah fuck, the single tile virus is spreading.

Also learn how to use <TRA, it keeps sending me to the middle of these rooms and it's annoying.
I don't like going through that door and coming out of Balrog's ass in the parking lot room.

Also doors make the door sound and instantly fade out instead of opening the door. Or opening the door, hiding the character after some frames, closing the door, and then fading out.

p365644-11-6hmajjd.png

I said no more grammatical errors, but "you're" not "your".

p365644-12-plewkaj.png

I don't get why there are random spaces at the beginning of some lines like before "Please"

Also the textbox switches to Misery without using a <CLR or a <FON, also you didn't use <MS3 instead of <MSG so the textbox covers the player

and finally you didn't use <PRI to freeze the enemies, so if there are ones nearby I have ot wayt for them to move away so I can close the textbox without getting hurt. This is also impossible singe the message box is covering where I'm standing so I can't see arghhhhhh!!

p365644-13-q3tfviq.png

#1 Don't use MSpaint to save .bmp files because then they get bleached out like this.
#2 Curly now has the ability to take people's magic powers. OK
#3 Don't use MS paint.
p365644-14-rfw7e98.png

I can just jump off the edge of the map here....

p365644-15-9kcr5ek.png

I am currently in awe how you managed to change files in resource hacker to have a custom icon for the mod, and put custom orgs in but shit like this exists.

Also going into the door behind me makes me just fall out of thin air and onto a Pignon.

Also they are called Pignons not Critters, Critters are in the First Cave in the original game.

p365644-16-kt9woyx.png

Oh the tiles changed here to another type, look like there is more than one type of tile virus spreading and now they are fighting for control over each other.

p365644-17-qbnyasn.png

Well you've got a long way to go buddy.

Suggestions:

Fix all spelling errors
Fix all <TRA errors
Fix all other Technical Dialouge errors (missing <PRI, doors being bare miminum of ""functional" <MS3)
Make the Levels not look terrible:
(here's a video that might help)

Then there are some other errors, like the story being somewhat boring and predicatble.
If you're trying to make all the characters just ""there"" and a revival arc for Pooh Black then uhh, good luck. I'm not saying it's bad but It's rather mild, and I'd suggest just making a mod that has all the base fundamentals down before attempting to dive into a strong story along the way.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:46 AM
"Huzzah!"

I will remake most of the mod
the story will be changed but will still have Pooh Black as a major character.
Just about everything will be changed.
Also I'm pretty new to modding cave story.

p365644-0-iqxb2io.png

Uhh, this is really flat and that one tile is repeated over and over again.... is this intentional because it looks bad...

p365644-1-i4foir2.png

Here's at least something I did in 2 minutes, I'd suggest putting a bit more effort into the first bits of a mod.

It really shows how much you care about your project overall and all the good stuff..

p365644-2-k3dg0kt.png

This is hard to read and the anti-analyzing is bad.
Also this is not version 1.0.0.6

There are simple hacks included in Boosters Lab now that completely makes the title screen completely customization at the click of a button.

p365644-3-jkap9tw.png

This is two tiles repeated over and over and make a rubber room look like an amazing decorative piece.

p365644-4-8lzztpx.png

The Q in Quote is not capatalized but the B in Balrog is.
Also the textbox closes on the next line without a <NOD at the end.

p365644-5-eynfwzf.png

you cannot interact with the bed.

p365644-6-2igolvv.png

This is not the first time I've heard this phrase in the last 5 years I've been in this community.

I go out the door and appear in the middle of the room, I try to go back in the room but I'm next to the door to balrog's room??

p365644-7-imhdeyb.png

this room looks slightly less drab than the last one with a pinch more clusterfuck.

p365644-8-j2aquo6.png

I'm really getting sick of this single tile repeating mess.

Also floor is baren and doens't have rocks on it, also room is perfectly square.
I know you learned your shapes last year sometime, but you've got to break away from that fisher price style sometime.

p365644-9-lyz9nqx.png

Proper nouns need capitalization. the Q in Quote is lower case.
I'm not going to point out more grammatical errors but ugh.

The Save Disk event is corrupt so you can walk around a few frames before it starts it's event.

p365644-10-cag7s2i.png

Ah fuck, the single tile virus is spreading.

Also learn how to use <TRA, it keeps sending me to the middle of these rooms and it's annoying.
I don't like going through that door and coming out of Balrog's ass in the parking lot room.

Also doors make the door sound and instantly fade out instead of opening the door. Or opening the door, hiding the character after some frames, closing the door, and then fading out.

p365644-11-6hmajjd.png

I said no more grammatical errors, but "you're" not "your".

p365644-12-plewkaj.png

I don't get why there are random spaces at the beginning of some lines like before "Please"

Also the textbox switches to Misery without using a <CLR or a <FON, also you didn't use <MS3 instead of <MSG so the textbox covers the player

and finally you didn't use <PRI to freeze the enemies, so if there are ones nearby I have ot wayt for them to move away so I can close the textbox without getting hurt. This is also impossible singe the message box is covering where I'm standing so I can't see arghhhhhh!!

p365644-13-q3tfviq.png

#1 Don't use MSpaint to save .bmp files because then they get bleached out like this.
#2 Curly now has the ability to take people's magic powers. OK
#3 Don't use MS paint.
p365644-14-rfw7e98.png

I can just jump off the edge of the map here....

p365644-15-9kcr5ek.png

I am currently in awe how you managed to change files in resource hacker to have a custom icon for the mod, and put custom orgs in but shit like this exists.

Also going into the door behind me makes me just fall out of thin air and onto a Pignon.

Also they are called Pignons not Critters, Critters are in the First Cave in the original game.

p365644-16-kt9woyx.png

Oh the tiles changed here to another type, look like there is more than one type of tile virus spreading and now they are fighting for control over each other.

p365644-17-qbnyasn.png

Well you've got a long way to go buddy.

Suggestions:

Fix all spelling errors
Fix all <TRA errors
Fix all other Technical Dialouge errors (missing <PRI, doors being bare miminum of ""functional" <MS3)
Make the Levels not look terrible:
(here's a video that might help)

Then there are some other errors, like the story being somewhat boring and predicatble.
If you're trying to make all the characters just ""there"" and a revival arc for Pooh Black then uhh, good luck. I'm not saying it's bad but It's rather mild, and I'd suggest just making a mod that has all the base fundamentals down before attempting to dive into a strong story along the way.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 1:51 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I will remake most of the mod
the story will be changed but will still have Pooh Black as a major character.
Just about everything will be changed.
Also I'm pretty new to modding cave story.

That's just fine, Just work on these sorts of things to polish up your mod. If you need some help I'm around quite a bit though I think moving it to a DM for actual help on modding would be more productive than just filling up this thread with that sort of talk.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:46 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
There's no need to feel bad at your mods. We are here to help you to make it better. The first mods can look very different, but the pratice makes perfect. ;)

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:15 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"

p365644-13-q3tfviq.png

I'm not sure if this helps but I had this problem before too so what I did is instead of pressing just save you have to hit "save as" and then save it to a 24-bit bitmap
i think bits are like a billion colors and colors are like just 1 color

Though there are probably other things that are better editors so you don't even have to worry about that like the blink guy said as #3 but maybe if you were like hey i do not want to get another thing because i love paint or something then you will be like yay i know how to save with a lot of colors now unless the thing i said didn't really help

:D

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:50 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I come here to say, That I have found you're mod on a Japanesse site about Japanesse Cave Story mod.
Don't know why I saw it there but I founded it there.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:00 PM
"Huzzah!"
I come here to say, That I have found you're mod on a Japanesse site about Japanesse Cave Story mod.
Don't know why I saw it there but I founded it there.
Oh God...This is another reason why I regret making that mod!

There's no need to feel bad at your mods. We are here to help you to make it better. The first mods can look very different, but the pratice makes perfect. ;)
One reason why I regret making it is because someone can find it on the doukutsu uploader like @MisterDestroyer did!

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:32 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
One reason why I regret making it is because someone can find it on the doukutsu uploader like @MisterDestroyer did!
Oh God...This is another reason why I regret making that mod!
Hey, the most important is that you learned something from this experience.
Regret or not, it’s not important.
After all we all have regrets and the most important is that you understand and become better from those regret.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:05 PM
"Huzzah!"
Hey, the most important is that you learned something from this experience.
Regret or not, it’s not important.
After all we all have regrets and the most important is that you understand and become better from those regret.
Well @Aar might find out about it and make a modding shitstorm video about it and then I would regret it even more!

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:45 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well @Aar might find out about it and make a modding shitstorm video about it and then I would regret it even more!
He has to have a very good reason to make a modding shitstorm video depending on the mod. He hasn't been making one because bad mods nowadays are either Pistachio mods/CSBDs or blatant attempts for a 15 minutes of infamy because "Aar-senpai noticed my mods! xd". He also feels bad overall on most of his past videos targeting mods made by first timers, he even had to go and apologize to someone just because they planned on deleting their mod and giving up entirely.

Now, if only he can just review good cs mods (as suggested for the past year or so, there's a lot of hidden gems that need recognition once more) or evaluate contest mods since they're a league all on their own... Modding Hitsstorm when, Aar?