The Cave Story preservation thread

Jun 29, 2018 at 3:23 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Cave story is a mostly digital game, which means that preserving every version can be hard, especially when some versions approach 10 years old. First let's go over version that are very easy to preserve:

1. Cave Story 3D and Cave Story+ (Switch) These were released physically, so the only way they can be lost forever is if every copy is destroyed, which isn't happening anytime soon.

2. Cave Story (Freeware) This is easy as it can be legally uploaded to any file sharing site imaginable and then it will probably be preserved until the internet goes away.

Now let's go over the ones that cannot be obtained legally.

1. Cave Story (DSi) This one is so hard to find it might as well be lost media, despite many people just having it on their DS's. I have looked everywhere for a rom dump and emulator, but I can't find it. Even if someone here finds a rom of it, they can't share it due to it being illegal. It's a shame as this version is pretty unique compared to the 3ds eshop port.

2. Cave Story (Wiiware) This one is technically still obtainable, you just have to have a bunch of Wii points sitting around, which not many people have. I actually got this one before the wii shop closed, so it's not lost to me. Even if you never bought it, It's not hard to find a rom dump of it, and dolphin can run it fine. You can even upload the wad on to an actual wii via homebrew (however I haven't been able to)

The only version that is under threat of going lost is Cave Story (3ds) as the eshop will close eventually. This will be a shame, as it's the only way to have the original sprites in stereoscopic 3D. Hope that rom get dumped somewhere in the mean time.

I don't see CS+ (PC) under threat of being lost, as I suspect steam is here to stay, and there is a dam free version on Humble Bundle.

What are your thoughts?

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:03 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nobody will be missing much from the lost versions, considering almost all ports have the same kinds of features. Sure, if you're a collector, then go right for it, but even with the fanbase around us, you just need to play the freeware/Steam/Switch versions and see literally everything to know how all the ports are like.

Edit: CS3D though, good luck with that

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:59 PM
Nobody will be missing much from the lost versions, considering almost all ports have the same kinds of features. Sure, if you're a collector, then go right for it, but even with the fanbase around us, you just need to play the freeware/Steam/Switch versions and see literally everything to know how all the ports are like.

Edit: CS3D though, good luck with that
Well, CS DSi is unique as it has text on the bottom screen. This is the only cave story port to do this.

Cave story wiiware is the first commercial release (and has a few exclusive sprites)

Cave Story 3ds eshop has stereoscopic 3d, which is the only version to have this with the 2d sprites.

These are all insignificant to the average fan, but could be seen as important to preserve.

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:06 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I actually kind of disliked having the text on the bottom screen for DSi. I downloaded the cia to my 3ds & tried it out. It was mostly the same except the music was blaring & the text was on the bottom.

I still have my 2ds with CS on it too as well as the DSi version. Maybe those will become valuable years later.

Also, why would the eshop close?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 5:29 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Because the 3DS is pretty much on life support and Nintendo could pull the plug at anytime now, if they decide it's dragging down Switch sales. Plus, the platform is like, what, 7 years old at the time of this post?

Jun 30, 2018 at 5:30 AM
Yeah, i thought so. You dont see 3ds game ads very much anymore.

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:22 PM
The wii shop just closed. The 3ds launched 5 years after the wii, so the eshop will probably close in ~5 years. We need to think ahead in terms of preservation.

Jun 30, 2018 at 7:40 PM
Jun 30, 2018 at 9:45 PM
Based Member
It's a bit sad to see DRM causing certain versions to die out and require either difficult or illegal measures to preserve them. That being said, what will definitely be preserved is the original freeware version, and the different Humble Bundle versions of CS+, which really has most of the features associated with NICALiS' bells and whistles. This is easy for me to say though, since I never owned the Wiiware, DSi, or 3DS ports and therefore don't have that attachment.

Jul 1, 2018 at 12:16 AM
3ds port was the first version i actually completely played through. I played the demo version on wii when i was 5 and didnt understand much other than there was this cute bunny girl.

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:09 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I get they're all variations of essentially the same exact core game. But, it's sad to see some of them just fading away. I'm glad that people are making an efforts to preserve the past!

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Don't forget eShop Ikachan and iOS Azarashi.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:37 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
eShop Ikachan isn't even available here :c

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:20 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Eshop CS3d will be dumped eventually once people actually figure out how that version works. Physical CS3D will be around for a long time considering how it's treated in the emulator scene (it's used alot for testing Citra)

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:57 AM
I sort of want to play CS3D just to see how bad it is. I think it's pretty bad.

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:03 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I sort of want to play CS3D just to see how bad it is. I think it's pretty bad.
Pros: The remastered soundtrack was the CS3D soundtrack backported to CS+, so the music is good. The backgrounds are fucking lovely (no seriously, never stop taking the time to admire the view). Items, weapons, facepics and other 2d gui elements look nice too. New areas are in the game. More upgrades are available, but the game is rebalanced to match, so if you have played CS to death then CS3D would feel somewhat fresh.

Cons: Weird bugs can be found here and there. The animations (especially for teleporting) and character models leave much to be desired. The map system is poorly rendered and inconsistent. 3hp runs are impossible. The 3d perspective makes interacting with doors a bit weird at times, but you'll get used to it.

It is definitely worth trying out.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:02 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cons: Weird bugs can be found here and there. The animations (especially for teleporting) and character models leave much to be desired. The map system is poorly rendered and inconsistent. 3hp runs are impossible. The 3d perspective makes interacting with doors a bit weird at times, but you'll get used to it.

Didn't it have slowdown as well?

Last edited: