Need help contacting Nicalis - anyone here done so?

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:12 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
My final piece of advice on this topic is: just use the sprites and they'll contact you if they have any issues with it.

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:05 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Companies write that kind of stuff on their websites to leave a good impression to others, so that they will buy their games. And exactly why do you want to make it "official"? If it's just for fun then there is absolutely no reason for you to make it official. Your contribution would likely rise slightly in popularity, but that's it. And if you're thinking about payment then that won't happen, especially for fan works. If you want to release your work then I suggest you do it on this forum or somewhere similar.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:17 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Companies write that kind of stuff on their websites to leave a good impression to others, so that they will buy their games. And exactly why do you want to make it "official"? If it's just for fun then there is absolutely no reason for you to make it official. Your contribution would likely rise slightly in popularity, but that's it. And if you're thinking about payment then that won't happen, especially for fan works. If you want to release your work then I suggest you do it on this forum or somewhere similar.
Ha, no I don't need payment. I just wanted to see it finished the way Shmitz would have done it. Zt's one is really cool especially with the NG+ feature but it's hardly, if at all, based off of Shmitz' vision past Aqueduct (The new version of Genesis:Water), although if he said that that WAS what he was planning to do then it would be completely believable. Actually I even prefer the 1x graphics. I just did the HD graphics so that it would be more appealing and less work to Nicalis.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:46 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I may come off as overly harsh here, but they are hardly going to accept an unfinished unofficial sequel mod made by someone who dropped off the face of the internet years ago, even with 2x graphics.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 9:09 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wouldn't there be a need of Shmitz' permission in the first place anyway? Wouldn't be good for Nicalis' rep if they used a mod without the original creator's permission just because a third party asked for it.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:48 AM
Well, the the thing I want the best is to find out, and hopefully have completed, how Jenka's Nightmare was going to be and make Schmitz' dream come true.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:14 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
How would you even know what Schmitz' dream is, or how JN was going to be? You are presuming far too much. Nicalis also isn't going to complete the mod for you because there will be no return on the time invested.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:11 AM
How would you even know what Schmitz' dream is, or how JN was going to be? You are presuming far too much. Nicalis also isn't going to complete the mod for you because there will be no return on the time invested.
Yeah, I don't know either. That's why I was gonna get Nicalis to sponsor Shmitz to complete the game HIS way.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If you know a way to track down Shmitz then I am all ears. But otherwise I can't see Nicalis having any better luck.

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:07 AM
If you know a way to track down Shmitz then I am all ears. But otherwise I can't see Nicalis having any better luck.
A few weeks ago, after 3-4 months of him not replying to the graphics I sent him, I tried texting/calling him during business hours. Of course THEN he emailed me :p and said that Nicalis not contacted him about it so far and that so he "couldn't comment" on it. Dunno why he couldn't look at them without it somehow reflecting on Nicalis but I just rolled with it.
tl;dr whoops

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:08 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
jesus christ dude

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:46 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I doubt NICALiS would ever declare JN official because it lacks any NEW WEAPONS.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM
I doubt NICALiS would ever declare JN official because it lacks any NEW WEAPONS.
oh, not so fast! It includes the new and disimproved Snake!

Anyways, Shmitz even says on his portfolio on his website that he wants to finish JN one day and that he was prevented from doing so due to lack of programming knowledge. And I thought doing this would be the most helpful to get it done "officially" (by Shmitz instead of another user).

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:26 PM
War criminal
And I thought doing this would be the most helpful to get it done "officially" (by Shmitz instead of another user).
As understandable as it is that you think Shmitz' version is the best, and I respect your opinion, do keep in mind that it's just a fan made work, there's nothing official about it.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:28 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Yeah tbh we can tackle most programming-related issues now (ones that don't require an entire rewrite of the game), since the assembly resources have expanded and throughout the years there has been a handful of people hacking away.

Heck just last year we had Clownacy publicizing hacks to increase the resolution and put in custom audio, which are like the main 2 things that a NiCALiS port consists of. Currently this guy named "SlightlyInteligentMonkey" has been tinkering away on getting an older DirectX (Win 7 and up) working with the game, allowing the possibility of transparency/shaders/total graphical control, though there isn't any definite build of it yet. There's been a project to make vanilla 3x resolution graphics made. Most people who have somewhat dabbled into ASM can do some custom NPC and Weapon shenanigans. etc.

You don't need NiCALiS for a JN remaster. You don't need Shmitz for a JN remaster.
That's the point. That's what everyone is saying. All of this time and effort will be utterly wasted going after these two, because [1] NiCALiS doesn't give a shit, they are a rather lazy business who uses nostalgia and networking to win sales and [2] Shmitz has moved on and probably spends entire months forgetting his fangame even exists.

You are wasting your time going after these two. If you want your graphics to exist in the game you have to do it yourself or with the current active modding community. We (this forum and the related communities) will help you make this happen, not these two.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:38 AM
Yeah tbh we can tackle most programming-related issues now (ones that don't require an entire rewrite of the game), since the assembly resources have expanded and throughout the years there has been a handful of people hacking away.

Heck just last year we had Clownacy publicizing hacks to increase the resolution and put in custom audio, which are like the main 2 things that a NiCALiS port consists of. Currently this guy named "SlightlyInteligentMonkey" has been tinkering away on getting an older DirectX (Win 7 and up) working with the game, allowing the possibility of transparency/shaders/total graphical control, though there isn't any definite build of it yet. There's been a project to make vanilla 3x resolution graphics made. Most people who have somewhat dabbled into ASM can do some custom NPC and Weapon shenanigans. etc.

You don't need NiCALiS for a JN remaster. You don't need Shmitz for a JN remaster.
That's the point. That's what everyone is saying. All of this time and effort will be utterly wasted going after these two, because [1] NiCALiS doesn't give a shit, they are a rather lazy business who uses nostalgia and networking to win sales and [2] Shmitz has moved on and probably spends entire months forgetting his fangame even exists.

You are wasting your time going after these two. If you want your graphics to exist in the game you have to do it yourself or with the current active modding community. We (this forum and the related communities) will help you make this happen, not these two.
Actually, I prefer the standard graphics and enjoy ZarroTsu's version. I just made these as a concession to get Shmitz to finish it the way he would have done it.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:15 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Actually, I prefer the standard graphics and enjoy ZarroTsu's version. I just made these as a concession to get Shmitz to finish it the way he would have done it.
tldr; Shmitz isn't going to make your dream mod, sorry. You're probably going to have to go about doing it yourself. Besides, modding nowadays is super accessible and it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out on your own.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:06 AM
tldr; Shmitz isn't going to make your dream mod, sorry. You're probably going to have to go about doing it yourself. Besides, modding nowadays is super accessible and it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out on your own.
But if I make it myself it won't be the original intended ending.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:48 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
But if I make it myself it won't be the original intended ending.
Again, that's too bad. You're going to have to make what you think the intended ending was yourself.