Does anyone want to collaborate on a mod?

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:23 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Please ban cash prizes in Modcon 2018.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:27 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cash is nice, but I don't think people should care that much about prize money.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:27 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Well of course, but my mod won't be very fun if it's just level design with no quirks or anything.
Daily reminder that such a thing is possible even without asm, or woth mibimal knowledge.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 8:34 PM
War criminal
Daily reminder that such a thing is possible even without asm.
Autopilot and The Final Level from MC2016 make good examples for that, with the latter having very minimal asm affecting virtually nothing

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:38 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think simple ASM hacks can go a long way, just editing weapons and npc values can make for some interesting scenerios. No crazy large hacks are required to make a good mod, nothing can replace good level design, though ASM hacks certainly can enhance it.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:41 PM
War criminal
I think simple ASM hacks can go a long way, just editing weapons and npc values can make for some interesting scenerios. No crazy large hacks are required to make a good mod, nothing can replace good level design, though ASM hacks certainly can enhance it.
Oh yeah, totally. If you can find a very good use for the hacks you put in, definitely go all out at it.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:43 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Agreed, a hack is only good in a mod if the modder uses the hacks well, there are tons of cool stuff you can do with minor asm edits already, and that is way easier to learn to do than major asm hacking.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:12 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Autopilot and The Final Level from MC2016 make good examples for that, with the latter having very minimal asm affecting virtually nothing
Shipwrecked is another good example: used absolutely no ASM hacks yet still ranked 2nd in the latest ModCon. It's really important to not underestimate how far you can go with clever use of TSC and just good design in general.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 10:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
To be honest, I was making a joke quoting Zelda CDI, but I may be willing to make a hack (depending on the hack) for you sometime if I find the time. I don't care for the prize money really.
Oh wow. Sorry lol

Shipwrecked is another good example: used absolutely no ASM hacks yet still ranked 2nd in the latest ModCon. It's really important to not underestimate how far you can go with clever use of TSC and just good design in general.
I loved shipwrecked, but it really does show how similar it is to vanilla. It was fun to play, but I want something with a whole other experience. Something that doesn't look or feel like cave story.

Oh yeah, totally. If you can find a very good use for the hacks you put in, definitely go all out at it.
Well, that's what I'm doing. The mod will give the game a different feel adding new gameplay elements, smoother physics, and differently styled sprites. The ASM hacks will help with those.