Fireball Challenge (redacted)

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM
"Huzzah!"
--This does not represent who I am as a modder now; So I'm removing the download for good.--​

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Can’t play it right now, but I watched the video and I have some constructive criticism.
1. The multiple levels thing just seems unfair, there’s nothing to differentiate death and a bottom level. Focus on one level.
2. Try to build the environment around the fireball’s strengths and weaknesses. The current level design doesn’t seem to revolve around this.
3. Not hard, just make the life bar appear during the sisters fight.
4. The mimiga mask implies that there is no booster, would recommend taking it off of quote.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing how the mod progresses

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
4. The mimiga mask implies that there is no booster, would recommend taking it off of quote.
I dunno how vanilla you are but one can easily have a mask and booster at once.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Alright a Challenge mod here we go.

oh nice a widescreen hack

p361205-0-cjorrvw.png

I'm sounding nitpicky but There is no intro screen and the title screen consists of like nothing at all.

p361205-1-jvbo6hc.png

It's not that hard to make a title screen and even in widescreen you can come up with a creative fadeout for borders like this:

p361205-2-lvbmrh9.png

(yeah this one isn't perfect either but I had a really crappy monitor at the time while making this and it looked smooth then)

Also no screenie for you guys but great job on the beast fang easter egg! :pignon:

p361205-3-twmdlzq.png

There's nothing particularly wrong with this; but it just look so plain.

p361205-4-j6yjhcc.png

Without changing the core flow of movement I made the level look a lot more interesting, it uses all the tiles, and it looks a lot more pretty overall

The Key idea; while this is a challenge mod and the main goal is to make a level that provides challenge, running through a level with as little level design as necessary is not fun to play; it may seem odd to some but having detail like this really brings a level of immersion that make a very fine divide between just a random mod you downloaded of the internet and an immersive adventure into a world never seen before.

mastering this is important to have your mods stand out; look at aars video game for example, it's a challenge mod but it's full of detail and is just good in general; if you want some more ideas to draw upon look at his mod and go through Vanilla hell some time, look at every element and critically look to understand why X was placed here or why Y is laid out this way. Is it for aesthetical purposes? is it engaging for the player? ect ect ect.

p361205-5-smmeeyi.png

This place looks like it could be transformed into a temple entrance or something similar: show me your best!! :momo:

p361205-6-jcv0zsu.png

There really isn't and sense of forced interaction here, these enemies fly too high to not be boosted under; though with your equipment of just a fireball it's hard to really fight them in the first place unless you wanted to grind for EXP, but since this is a times challenge there isn't much of a reason to do this in the first place to get a good time.....

Or oh, actually yeah that block right in front of me moved forward anyway lol.

p361205-7-18ghn57.png

being transported back to the last checkpoint for flying too high up to dodge things = not fun.

p361205-8-wtfrdwq.png

intentional or not I like how you can boost down to that second hole in the side on the right if you're fast enough so you dont' have to wait for the block to cycle through.

forcing the player to wait for something is usually a bad thing unless they just got done performing a very hard trick and want a 4 second breather while waiting. It's something that's usually frowned upon in speedrunning but this is acceptable because if you have enough skill you don't have to wait at all.

p361205-9-afce3cf.png

there are about 0.8 fucktons of enemies here and I can't fly too high or else I get teleported back; but I have to fly high because the fireball is affected by gravity.

HNGHHHH :muscledoc:

p361205-10-thix5xr.png

I understand that with the widescreen hack and the fact that you can't change the spawn area for the dragon sisters makes this place not centered on the screen but why isn't there a public hack that swaps the spawn area of this boss? I mean this isn't your fault at all but I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. :koron:

Also I'm invisible because iframes while taking the screenshot your game isn't buggy or anything lol.

Also no boss battle health bar, I kinda just want to rage quit from having a bad lvl 1 weapon and fighting a mini boss from almost the end of vanilla game.

I swear I've hit this boss over 100 times and it's not dead.

Also standing in the left corner and spamming your weapon is the best strategy; but you have to wait for the fireballs to stop being spawned to make more so if you're caught and all your fireballs are rouge you just get hit.

I don't have the patience to do this right now sadly. It's too hard and monotonous. :pignon2:

Other than that though good mod, you understand how to TSC for the most part and have enough of a brain to mod :droll: (haha that was a joke don't kill me plz)

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:17 AM

Attachments

• 6AEF3141-B505-4C24-A51C-16AC35A711E0.png
    6AEF3141-B505-4C24-A51C-16AC35A711E0.png
    719.5 KB · Views: 1
Nov 23, 2017 at 3:05 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Contributing to spammy posting (off-topic, lack of content, etc)
Lol

I’ll download that later I’m too lazy

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2017 at 2:42 AM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:10 AM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:20 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
I now know that this mod is TERRIBLE.
Aww, it's not that bad man, there's just a lot of room for improvement. It took me 5 years to get to the point where I could see these sorts of flaws.

Just keep working on things! The game doesn't break when you fall off the bottom of the screen, you're competent enough to use TSC and you are smart enough to figure out what your flaws are!

Also starting with smaller mods is a good thing; instead of tackling bigger projects and wanting to give up halfway through development hell.

If you really want some assistance check out the Cave Story Modding Discord (in my signature) and we'd be more than happy to lend a hand with advice and playtesting.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:23 AM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 1:47 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I played the mod a couple of days ago and I think it's not bad, but you should really design the levels around the Fireball's mechanics and maybe (?) add more challenging platforming.
That's my input, but then again, this is coming from the guy who couldn't figure out how to properly change a chest into a Terminal without visual bugs(*cough cough* Version 1 of Grotto Fable *cough cough*)

Nov 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 3:02 PM
OK, just played the mod. Very good, refer to my previous post for my criticisms. One more: nerf the sisters. huge difficulty spike and not even a life bar? not good design.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:24 PM
*Couldn't find out how to add life bar :p)
When I tried to download your mod using playonmac, it started, said error reading file, then crashed back to desktop and every time I tried that’s what happened. Should I try regular wine?

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM
CS doesn't work using wine normally. To make it work, install Steam using PlayOnMac, then add the mod as a non-steam game. I made a more in-depth tutorial of it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/cavestory/comments/78s5tw/guide_run_cave_story_on_mac_via_wine/
Okay thanks, and I already have steam

UPDATE! It still shows the error message, maybe it’s because I have the Mac version of steam? It said I already had steam when I downloaded it and when I opened it, it just went to my game library.

Last edited: