Profile Feed Misuse

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:42 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, it's simpler now than back then, ever since we moved from IPBoard to XenForo. Copypastas and countdown spams are bad, but that's more manageable to moderate than let's say, embedded image spam and HTML spam.

Actually, can the profile feed be stripped of its visibility? Because that's something that was mentioned after the move.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
If only we could post profile posts that wouldnt show up except on that user's page.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:02 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Perhaps there could be a thread in the Satellite Lounge for low quality posts?

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
So despite the fact the forum rules state "any instances of flaming/trolling/personal attacks or anything else the staff deems inappropriate will not be tolerated and will be dealt with immediately", the profile feed has essentially been unmoderated since its inception.
Yeah this isn't really true, harassment as such has never been tolerated on profile feed, it just hasn't happened very often and wasn't the trigger for the current reassessment. The spammiest section of the site has moved around over the years and every once in a while it's necessary to reign in the excess so it doesn't get out of hand. There aren't even that many problems, as you can see by the first post, but they've been consistent enough to warrant action.

Perhaps there could be a thread in the Satellite Lounge for low quality posts?
No

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:04 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Addressing areas of excessive spam rather than allowing spam to flourish in areas of reduced visibility seems like a good idea.

In that case, I have a suggestion for an additional rule for profile feed posts: links should be accompanied by some text.

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:56 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
So despite the fact the forum rules state "any instances of flaming/trolling/personal attacks or anything else the staff deems inappropriate will not be tolerated and will be dealt with immediately", the profile feed has essentially been unmoderated since its inception.
Ah. Yes sorry, that one was enforced as well. Forgot to mention that.

Well, it's simpler now than back then, ever since we moved from IPBoard to XenForo. Copypastas and countdown spams are bad, but that's more manageable to moderate than let's say, embedded image spam and HTML spam.
I still remember that one css animation injection on the profile feed that caused every element on the site to rotate. May we never encounter that shit again.

Glory be to plaintext VMs (profile posts) and bbcode posts.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I still remember that one css animation injection on the profile feed that caused every element on the site to rotate. May we never encounter that shit again.
Uberkat will live on forever in our hearts.

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:24 PM
Professional Whatever
are you kidding noxid was the profile post god and you murdered him

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
gone but not forgotten

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Was it the fault of previous forum software?
Yes.

P.S. Did anybody get a video of that? Sounds amusing. (or if anyone's got the code I can just run it myself...)
Noxid just posted a video of it. Are you blind?

VMs? Something Messages?
"Visitor Messages" I think it was. That's what vBulletin used to call them anyways. Everyone called them VMs before the move to IPBoard, then it kinda slowly fell out of use because it was confusing the newbies (then again the IPBoard terminology for the feature was inconsistent enough to confuse the shit out of everyone, xenforo fixed that shit). Strangely enough though the term "PM" has endured despite the fact that they are called "conversations" in the xenforo UI.