CSTSF Modding Competition 2017 - Submission and Discussion Thread

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:56 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Haven't tried the update yet, but ...
Did you go back into the hallway where you found the clock?
Ohhh, I did not! Of course I stopped just short of completing it properly on my own x) Didn't expect a previous area to change since there was no precedent at that point.
What happened next was bizarre but pretty awesome in a way.

And I'm glad I decided to redo the drowning part and feel around xD I love when we're on the same wave length lol.
The next part went off without a hitch. I'm still not entirely sure what the whole simulation is... But, I think the main character found FREEDOM!

I'm assuming the Thank You screen is the real ending for now. Mmmmm...
(Btw, I did go back a few times, tried to open the door before falling off the screen; also tried interacting with all the glitched swastika Misery and Sues; even spent the time to destroy all of them just in case lol.)

Hmm... What are my thoughts now that I've seen the ending...
Well, the first part was a bit frustrating mainly because there was no sense of progression. Even though I was doing things, it seemed to have no effect on the world besides collecting some items. (I guess Yume Nikki is kind of like that... Though, eye/mind candy!) Even just adding a sound that evolves/devolves as you start each Load, depending on how close you are to finding the end might help without any text required. When I stopped I just didn't know if my searching around was fruitless or not.
When you finally do complete all the objectives, I liked the drowning scene. It was frustrating, and I imagine some people would quit right there. But... I just had to be sure. And YES, there was more!
That led to a curious new map, more odd intrigue, and lastly back to Cave Story-ish...

Why the swastika btw? Then everything kind of proceeded normally, but glitched. Until the final Thank You, and you've fallen out of the chair/freed from the simulation! Which is a pretty nice way to end it.

Other notes:
The Sue portrait?? Odd... Was that the only custom portrait? Strange.
I did end up liking the mod, though it still could use more cohesion. I don't know... you start in the original 9 doors area which was all original but bland...
9 Doors... 9 levels of hell??? Am I on to something? That would explain some things... or I'm being mean x)
But there was that giant face...

I kinda wish you didn't end up switching back to Cave Story for the final scenes, but it was a pretty wild ride.
Nice work.

I'll have to check out the new version next time~

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:06 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Haven't tried the update yet, but ...

Ohhh, I did not! Of course I stopped just short of completing it properly on my own x) Didn't expect a previous area to change since there was no precedent at that point.
What happened next was bizarre but pretty awesome in a way.

And I'm glad I decided to redo the drowning part and feel around xD I love when we're on the same wave length lol.
The next part went off without a hitch. I'm still not entirely sure what the whole simulation is... But, I think the main character found FREEDOM!

I'm assuming the Thank You screen is the real ending for now. Mmmmm...
(Btw, I did go back a few times, tried to open the door before falling off the screen; also tried interacting with all the glitched swastika Misery and Sues; even spent the time to destroy all of them just in case lol.)

Hmm... What are my thoughts now that I've seen the ending...
Well, the first part was a bit frustrating mainly because there was no sense of progression. Even though I was doing things, it seemed to have no effect on the world besides collecting some items. (I guess Yume Nikki is kind of like that... Though, eye/mind candy!) Even just adding a sound that evolves/devolves as you start each Load, depending on how close you are to finding the end might help without any text required. When I stopped I just didn't know if my searching around was fruitless or not.
When you finally do complete all the objectives, I liked the drowning scene. It was frustrating, and I imagine some people would quit right there. But... I just had to be sure. And YES, there was more!
That led to a curious new map, more odd intrigue, and lastly back to Cave Story-ish...

Why the swastika btw? Then everything kind of proceeded normally, but glitched. Until the final Thank You, and you've fallen out of the chair/freed from the simulation! Which is a pretty nice way to end it.

Other notes:
The Sue portrait?? Odd... Was that the only custom portrait? Strange.
I did end up liking the mod, though it still could use more cohesion. I don't know... you start in the original 9 doors area which was all original but bland...
9 Doors... 9 levels of hell??? Am I on to something? That would explain some things... or I'm being mean x)
But there was that giant face...

I kinda wish you didn't end up switching back to Cave Story for the final scenes, but it was a pretty wild ride.
Nice work.

I'll have to check out the new version next time~
Thank you very much for checking out this mod. I really wasn't expecting this good of a response, and I'm very glad you enjoyed it! After reading this, I really wish I would have added some more detail in some segments, and did more to make the player think. (For example: Why does the door sound play even though there are no actual doors to open?) The new version doesn't add much, it just makes getting the clock ending a lot more clear (so people don't wander around for hours), and makes death return you to the title screen. Again, thank you very much for playing it!

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Former end date progress update: My entry is about half-done, but I haven't been able to work on it for a few days. I think I should be able to have it mostly finished by the end of the weekend, maybe with an extra day or two to buff it up so I'm not painfully rushing myself again. Aside from that I know @SolaEclipse75 was still working on something, once he's done we can probably start getting to the judgings.

Jun 17, 2017 at 9:59 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I *might* have something to contribute because the deadline kept getting pushed back! I started on a little something.

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Soup Man
Jun 26, 2017 at 5:12 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I should just learn to stop giving any end dates this week has been awful

In the meantime I'm gonna post an actual WIP screenshot for once
p359098-0-ciazgzq.png
Unsurprisingly, there will be gimmicks

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:15 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have been unable to work on my mod for a while, as Someone *cough cough*my brother *cough cough* left my charger at a friends house, and subsequently drained all of the remaining battery life. I shall resume work in a few days (maybe) as I have retrieved my charger, but i still don't think I will make the deadline.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:22 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, I'm cool with that.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Well, I've decided that since I'm going to be away for 11 days from the 31st of August, having the competition's submission period end on the 28th is a bad idea. Instead, the deadline is now September 15th.
The ride never ends.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
might as well make it halloween cuz' this contest is a nightmare

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Aug 17, 2017 at 12:31 AM
Based Member
Hey Zxin, I hate to flake on you, but in light of the new submission deadline and judging period, I don't think I'm going to be able to help with judging. My window of free time this Summer has pretty much expired, so I'm going to be focusing more on school work soon and won't really be setting aside the time to play mods. Sorry that this didn't work out, I hope you're successful in completing this competition.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Soup Man
*ahem*
Nowhere in the rules does it say you can't submit more than one entry so I present to you...

Flight. A Story of The Sky.

Flight is a mod about flying through the sky shooting and dodging enemies. You could call it a "bullet hell" but it isn't really one. Hope you enjoy.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3bjmbf8qgyjcl8/Flight.zip?dl=0

Note: If you have trouble getting enemies to appear just fly around the screen for a little while and they should eventually pop up

ahah now I have twice the chances of beating noxid