Jul 15, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I know what you're thinking, "Stop suggesting a Cave Story animated series, it will never happen". But just hear me out lol. This isn't a suggestion. In fact it's very different, it's an "announcement" of sorts, as we need help to create the animated series we've started progress on. And where better to look than the place of the fandom itself?

For so long I have been noticing, not only on this forum but in all Cave Story fan sites, that Cave Story fans really want an animated series. And although the game may be quite old, that doesn't mean our love for it has faded. There isn't really a lot of fan support for this amazing game, and it's a shame, especially since there are so many die-hard fans, and since we do have the capability to work together on something that we all want. And you know what, we should make it happen. We, the fans, should create a Cave Story animated series. Of course, this is only a possibility of actually working out, but we could seriously make it work!

And before you disregard this as "just another failing idea", I believe it could work because I've already managed to gather and assemble a small team! It's only 8 people in the team for now, so we'll definitely need more, but the fact that this many people have agreed to help despite the small fandom that Cave Story has really shows that we can work together.. Because that's just how Cave Story fans are, which is what I love most about the fandom, making us definitely one of the best fandoms out there, if not the best lol.

If you still don't believe that the fandom is good enough to create an animated series, just take a look at the amazing work that my team has produced:
p359428-0-gif.gif

p359428-1-cavestoryquotebyanonymous1824dazds5j.jpg

p359428-2-1435120125711282663253faccountid253d1.jpg

p359428-3-20170416.jpg

p359428-4-1017457427101781786253faccountid253d1.jpg

p359428-5-csas2blogo.png

Alright so if you're convinced that this can happen and want to help, I will be opening the auditions quite soon for you to join. The roles are: animators, voice actors, background/concept artists, script/story writers and (maybe) composers (for a possible OST). You may think that animators will be the hardest to find, and you're right to an extent; they are the most important, but we have three right now. As for how I think the series can go, I believe there should be 5-8 10-minute episodes, and the story, I don't know yet lol. Right now it would help a lot if you replied with suggestions for the series!

Also, we have a group chat of all the members currently in the team (which will change depending on the auditions), and if you want to join it just send me an email, at uzi.sanic@gmail.com (including what role you would like to help with), and I'll be sure to add you, for now lol

So that's basically all I have to say until the auditions. My email is uzi.sanic@gmail.com once again if you want to ask to tell me anything. I know this series is still only a possibility, but it's about time we took some action, don't you think? Of course, it can only happen with the help of the fans of Cave Story. Let's make this possible series happen :)

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:07 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Interesting

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:37 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
pretty cool idea, hope it isn't abandoned.
i don't have the skills to help with anything, but good luck.

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:22 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
One thing I instantly notice is that the pieces of artwork clearly are from different artists with different styles. I hope you do know everyone's supposed to work in the same style when working on an animation?

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:38 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
isnt the second drawing made by anonymous?

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
why are people asking for this? even if i did think you have the proper skills to handle such an ambitious project, cave story is not at all suited for an animated series of any kind

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:34 PM
"Huzzah!"
Quick Thought: Why does quotes cap have "Curly Brace" on it? Didnt sue say that the letters on his cap are from a different language?

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
One thing I instantly notice is that the pieces of artwork clearly are from different artists with different styles. I hope you do know everyone's supposed to work in the same style when working on an animation?

Actually it's more important for them to work on the same concept art of the characters and such, but the style can be slightly different with each episode. And besides, this is all previous work from the artists and animators, but if they had concept art to work off of, they could make the style more similar to each other.

isnt the second drawing made by anonymous?

Yes it is, he's part of our group lol

even if i did think you have the proper skills to handle such an ambitious project, cave story is not at all suited for an animated series of any kind

I know what you mean, and the idea has failed many times before. But why would it be a bad thing to actually try to make it work, instead of doing nothing for the game. About it not being suited for an animated series, if it wasn't, why would so many people want it lol There's a good story to work off of, and great characters. The game-play isn't required to make the story happen.

Quick Thought: Why does quotes cap have "Curly Brace" on it?

I think that's just a small detail added by anonymous for fun lol

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think it would definitely best to have everyone use the same style. Something you might wanna do is have different animators do different jobs. Keyframe artists, in-between artists, lip syncing, shading, etc.

You're right. It would make it much more professional if they all used the same style. At first I thought each animator would work on one episode each, to lighten the workload a bit, but that isn't really consistent. Instead we should do it how most companies and collaborating animators do it, and have each animator do what they can do best for each episode and put it together. Thanks for the great suggestion.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:19 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm interested. I've been looking for an excuse to start animating again. I could start some concept designs. However, Doors is right. It'll be pretty hard to make this animated. Just because people want this doesn't mean it's gonna be easy. If anything, a better approach would be to make a sort of "Tales of the Island" sort of thing, telling small mini stories of stuff like, Malco's Tea Party, or Mr. Little's Travels, or The Torture of Ballos.
That way, we won't be treading on old ground, and will be making something that has more creative freedom, and more potential. Bring more life to the Island and it's inhabitants.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm fully aware of how hard it is to animate (I'm an animator myself) and Doors' point is probably the truth. But it should still be given a serious shot, I mean, what's the harm in trying? But your idea of making small shorts is an extremely viable option if all else isn't possible. However it will also be kind of underwhelming to just create small animated tales instead a more fulfilling series that requires a group effort instead of the work of a few people. Obviously the series can be shortened as need be, to also minimise production time. But I must say you do make a valid point.

If you're still interested enough to participate, let me know if you'd like to join the group. It's fine if you just want to get a glimpse of how we're working.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, well, this sounds interesting. I'd be happy to see where this goes. Though even if it doesn't work out, I'm sure the assembled team could move on to something else or do it differently like Bionicobot said.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:36 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Quick Thought: Why does quotes cap have "Curly Brace" on it? Didnt sue say that the letters on his cap are from a different language?
In the original Japanese game the letters were in English, and everyone on the island spoke Japanese. And the cap reads "Curly Brace" because that is what Pixel said was written there. It is likely a leftover element from the CS beta where Quote was originally named "Curly Brace".

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:46 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
why are people asking for this? even if i did think you have the proper skills to handle such an ambitious project, cave story is not at all suited for an animated series of any kind
People are asking for this because they want it and see it as a good idea. I mean, you're totally free to not watch it! Many people do feel that it would be nice as a series, and we're reaching out to them. Have a good day!

I'm interested. I've been looking for an excuse to start animating again. I could start some concept designs. However, Doors is right. It'll be pretty hard to make this animated. Just because people want this doesn't mean it's gonna be easy. If anything, a better approach would be to make a sort of "Tales of the Island" sort of thing, telling small mini stories of stuff like, Malco's Tea Party, or Mr. Little's Travels, or The Torture of Ballos.
That way, we won't be treading on old ground, and will be making something that has more creative freedom, and more potential. Bring more life to the Island and it's inhabitants.
Oh, this sounds like a neat idea! I agree that the side characters weren't very well fleshed out, and to see them in these mini series you suggest sounds cool. I hope you're joining!

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ive seen tails' animations and they're great.
(btw I'm the storyboard artist of this series)

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I can help with storywriting and voice acting, I have a good mic with me. However, I am not a native english speaker (Spanish), so I would be more suitable for a foreign character.

Oh, awesome! I've sent you a friend request on Discord, and we can discuss it there :D