CSTSF Modding Competition 2017 - Submission and Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2017 at 3:51 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
"You're putting words into my mouth big time here. Before this post I hadn't said anything like this before, and it is a serious misjudgement. I do believe that some people aren't able to make the things they want to because they aren't eccentric geniuses like Thomas Xin. And it may seem as if I do think that 'ASM is broken and unfair', but that's not really how I think of it at all.
I really wish you (this goes for everybody here) would stop trying to act as if you have the slightest clue how I think, what I think of things, and how I feel. I don't understand you, and I don't really want to. And you most certainly without a spec of doubt do not know a single thing about how I think, work, and behave internally, externally in person, or anything like that. You have no clue, so stop please acting as if you know everything; because if I had to chose between explaining and giving up because your vision is so hopelessly twisted... ... ... actually I'm not going to leave in my real answer to that. I did legitimately type an answer, and I bet my body, everything I own, and everyone whom I love that you will not within 10 years guess what my answer was."

[insert not harsh opener with flower or some shit I'm not good at not looking very demeanoring]

I think I know what I see, I thing everyone knows what they see. I was going to write out something but I think the intentions are pretty clear at this point of where we both stand.
I take modding from a gamedev perspective and you take it from a modding pserspective. You don't like it; can't learn ASM yourself and you made this contest I might be wrong, but it's a good look into what other people might think of you. You /do/ know that what other people think of you is very important (especially on these forums, I'm sure you're aware that we are fairly tightly knit).

I do think I made myself look like an egotistical person in my last post (and it was far from what I was aiming for) but yeah I did and I don't expect anyone else to think differently about it. I chose my words poorly and that's that. I'm stuck with making a fool out of myself and have to deal with it, intentional or not.

at least I made GiR laugh, that was a good thing that came out of it

The thing is, you keep forgetting that you have to keep a decent public image if you want people to not hate your guts out.

Yeah, I fucked up and I'm sorry for it. But you think you're perfect because it's "all in your head" and your "master plan" because you can think no evil and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Whether you /actually/ think you're a saint (or pretty close anyway) pisses people off because they don't want to deal with uncorrectable people that are just going to stick around and annoy the shit out of them (there's a reason there's a "don't be a dick" rule on the internet.)

How you refuse to be corrected in any form or fashion is juvenile and inconsiderate. Please consider what others think of you; you can certainly still be you but don't be so strung up in your own little world. (and maybe I'll start doing the same regardless).

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:31 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Okay zxin, I think you're overreacting a bit here. BLink clearly missed the point of this contest and definitely went too far with his post trying to put you down for disallowing ASM hacks in this contest, but the attitude of your response made things worse. I think it would be best for you to accept the olive branch he's just extended to you so that this doesn't get any more heated.

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:44 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Why should be be punished for putting all our skills into one of the hardest aspects of modding?"
Just a brief aside that this sentence is fucking hilarious because doing neat/gimmicky ASM is waaaay easier than making a good level or writing a good story or spriting good art assets or composing good music

This argument is pointless btw and if I had the time I would gladly make a better mod with vanilla CS than either of you can, with or without ASM. See me when I run my own contest. I'm not gonna be judging it so there's no conflict of interest

tl;dr: learn to make good mods idc how

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I would gladly make a better mod with vanilla CS than either of you can, with or without ASM. See me when I run my own contest.
Is this thread where everyone just ego-trips mad balls?

Apr 26, 2017 at 4:59 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I made this contest because I had been planning to make a mod myself that uses 0 ASM, none at all. And then TLink brought up un the suggestions thread that they'd like to see a contest with no ASM.
if you read his post again you can clearly see a difference between his and your visions.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:02 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Yeah, I did decide to take it all the way, because figuring out what kind of hacks WOULD be allowed would be ridiculous, and I don't think anybody would want to do that.
Didn't knew we had over 100 documented hacks.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I seriously ruthlessly doubt you could make anything that I would enjoy more than I enjoyed Cave Story back in the day.
that's likely; I don't think I'm better than pixel by any means. CS has a very unique charm and I don't think I have the capacity to do that

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:03 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I can agree that what duncathan said was possibly quite egotistical, but I don't think BLink is really that bad.

Nice try kid, but you gotta get up to our level if you wanna play with the big boys, not change the rules to drag us down.

I mean, nothing really egotistical about calling yourself a big boy, is there?
That was sarcasm, for those who don't pick up on it.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM
Professional Whatever
oh my god

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:29 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
So is there anybody who can seriously explain me how people feel offended and targeted from not being able to use ASM in a contest they don't even have to join, or even have been asked to do so.
There's no reason to feel the need to join every contest there is, unless you like tripping on your ego.

Also tbqhwy no matter how much ASM you stuff in your mod, it can still be utter trash if you refuse to do anything else.

It's not like I like very many of the people here, or want to be in any way associated with them at all. I'm mostly just using them for information, with about 6 notable exceptions.
I'm p sure some people will be offended by this, it sure came over as a little offensive to me.

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:31 PM
Professional Whatever
look i don't like the execution of this contest more than the next person but really guys? you don't have to protect the sanctity of the elitist community or whatever or assert that you're superior. i'm honestly sorry to zxin about any flak going on in this thread

Apr 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Who cares anyway? I was probably the biggest supporter/proponent of this contest when it launched a month ago, and now we have all, including me, gone the past couple of weeks forgetting it exists due to to other projects and stuff.

I don't even know if this will even get an entry at all unfortunately, so why the hell are we throwing personal attacks at each other over it and then now both playing the blame game?!?

I'm looking at both parties when I say this.