My First Ever Mod! (Cave Story: Silver Version)

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:39 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Introducing Cave Story, but different!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmfrdqotmvirqf0/AABXTIlSKnnqynizlio-bl3la?dl=0

Allow me to educate you about my new (and first!) mod, namely Cave Story: Silver! This mod is basically Cave Story, but different. (like I mentioned earlier.)
This took SO LONG to create! (And this is just a demo!)
Please tell me how you guys like it! (The link's right above^)

==STORY==
The story is as follows:
This all takes place in an alternate universe from Cave Story.
4 Archaeologists adventure deep into the jungle of a magic floating island, where they discover the fabled Demon Crown.
These 4 Archaeologists are...
Quote: a Mimiga with high hopes and dreams...(You)
Dragnar: A Wise old Dragon who cares for the whole team...
Chad: A Robotic helper, and best friend to Quote...
and Sporky: A dog engineer with the brains of an extraterrestrial.
However, when they find the demon crown, they're all separated across the island.
You wake up in the Ruins, and it's YOUR job to find your friends, while discovering what happened to the island and it's inhabitants.

All references and music belong to their respective owners.

That's all I have to say right now! Thank you, and please enjoy my mod!!!

If you find any glitches, issues, or anything of concern, please tell me here, or PM me about it. They will (and still can, thankfully) be fixed. (I might need help on it, depending on the issue.)
bandicam 2017-01-08 20-20-32-867.jpg bandicam 2017-01-08 20-20-58-033.jpg bandicam 2017-01-08 20-21-28-828.jpg

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:19 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I may try this soon. Once I saw "Cave Story but different" my hopes went down, but after reading what the mod is about, I may actually enjoy it. So I'll check it out soon I guess

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:51 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I gotta say, this mod is very reminiscent of a couple of my old mods from back in 2013 and 2014 (Story Changed and CSTSF Mod). I don't think there are any known bugs in the mod so far, so that's good! That being said, the level design could use a little cleaning up in the First Cave and in the Laboratory, it's good in most areas, but some parts are just a bit messy.
Also, some custom tiles would be nice for the the bars in the First Cave map. I think I have an idea on what you're trying to do with them, and it's not a bad idea with what you're doing, but it feels a bit out of place with there being floating rocks at the parts where the vertical bars connect. They'll probably look cleaner if you used something like what's going on with the horizontal bars, since they don't seem to have any rocks on them.

The mod is a neat concept, just some parts need a little cleaning up, and I can't wait to see more from you! :)

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:09 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I may try this soon. Once I saw "Cave Story but different" my hopes went down, but after reading what the mod is about, I may actually enjoy it. So I'll check it out soon I guess
Ok, that's fine. When you do get a chance to play it, have fun!

I gotta say, this mod is very reminiscent of a couple of my old mods from back in 2013 and 2014
My inspirations were mostly from that general time frame lol

Also, some custom tiles would be nice for the the bars in the First Cave map. I think I have an idea on what you're trying to do with them, and it's not a bad idea with what you're doing, but it feels a bit out of place with there being floating rocks at the parts where the vertical bars connect. They'll probably look cleaner if you used something like what's going on with the horizontal bars, since they don't seem to have any rocks on them.
I could fix that without custom tiles, but that's still a good idea!!! :)

Also, to avoid confusion, the level areas "Primal DoodleLand" and "Cinos and Admin Laboratory" are based off a comic series I made with my friends. Hope that solves some issues.

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:43 AM
War criminal
FUCK
.... how long? Are we talking 3 months? A year?
Whenever I see this the little voice is like "Haha; 'please tell me how on earth you enjoy this mod,' also the link's right would be above... and to the right."

-Y'like that? No? Well I'm not half done, we've still gotta look at the mod of course. I was going to have another relaxing day in bed doing nothing and waiting for my yoyos to get trough USPS postage (or "Hell" to more experienced humans), but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

-So the file is titled "CaveStory - Hack," from this we can presume that assembly edits will take the forefront over regular modding. Think of Rise of Ballos, I guess.

p356959-0-hoiym6l.png

-Honestly you really do not want to be doing this to your images. It makes them look absolutely vomit-inducing.

-So the game comes (640x480) windowed, but for some reason you kept the manual's files... and not the file you use normally to open the manual. It is assumed that people playing a Cave Story mod have played Cave Story, if you're going to include the manual please edit it for the sake of making it relate to the mod in particular more.

-... what's this song doing here?

-There are no facepics on the title screen, so I have no idea who is talking. And all I can think of is one person talking to themselves.

-Change the version number. If you can change songs you can change the version number. As well as changing the Studio Pixel thing.

-I know that it's a demo, I read the thread.

-"You may have played it once... or twice" I fucking finished it 5000 times, where's my credit? I didn't just touch the game twice, eww.

p356959-1-vmgotj4.png

-NOO! NOT AGAIN! NOT THIS TIME, NOOOOO!

-This music is unfamiliar. Did you make it? It's pretty good.

-Some of the colouring on the orange critters changes when they face right.

p356959-2-gydnpxi.png

-Uh, please no. Oh god no. It's pedo-critter.

-What's with all the doors being behind walls?

p356959-3-dlzo7xf.png

-Did the game just become self-aware about the pedo-critter thing??!

-Aww not again...

p356959-4-gyjbkns.png

-1. Stop trying to be the Kazuma cut-scences, 2. Barnacle sauce???

-OK, it'd be alright just showing your friends slowly dying alone to give you motivation to find them, but it's quite blatantly trying to be the Kazuma cut-scenes.

p356959-5-3lhmsae.png

-Are these... really paranoid owls with ADHD??

-All these breakable blocks, but nothing behind them?

p356959-6-klew2t7.png

-FUCK; my EYES!

-Oh, right, it's Mimga Village... except that's not what the caption said. Is this a sequel?

p356959-7-qhmo4i3.png

-Don't point out the obvious to the player. Also you can see this text before seeing any other jammed door. Fix it, fix it with flags.

-"even if you wanted to." But I DO want to.

-Regular Map System get text.

p356959-8-grjyb0p.png

-THIS FUCKING KILLED THE ATMOSPHERE.

-Obvious Reservoir edit.

-Uh, I didn't find this at Yamashita Farm.

-YEAH. I HACKED THE LOOK. LOOK MAMA, IMMA HACKER. Hahaha. XD

-At the end of the cut-scene the player just immediately leaves the Arthur's House thing.

-Lab Passage... please don't... please...

-"Egg Corridor" Fuck.

-"Do you want to go to the Lab Passage?" OH FUCK.

-The quote entity is in the wrong place, and... OH GOD NO NOT THIS MUSIC. NO. NOOOOOOOOOO I FUCKING HATE THIS FUCKING STUPID REPETITIVE FUCKING BULLSHIT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh.

I'll continue the mod when you remove that music. Thank you.
Thanks for taking a huge shit on a new modder's first mod for God knows how many times you've done it. Seriously, this trend is getting old. Please stop doing a horrible job at imitating Seasons' mod reviews.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:37 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Uh, please no. Oh god no. It's pedo-critter.
I could see where you got the idea lol. It's actually just a failed attempt at a Waddle Dee from Kirby. The mod was originally just going to be a Kirby remake, but I changed my mind.:pignon:
Did the game just become self-aware about the pedo-critter thing??!
It's meant to say Rapo-Gun...woops :rolleyes:
Oh, right, it's Mimga Village... except that's not what the caption said. Is this a sequel?
No, I mentioned before that some of the levels are based off a comic series I made awhile ago. Sorry, I really should've mentioned that in game...:(
All these breakable blocks, but nothing behind them?
That's for scenery...
Are these... really paranoid owls with ADHD??
Nope...really paranoid Bronto Burts from Kirby...again, horribly messed up lol:chin:
THIS FUCKING KILLED THE ATMOSPHERE.
It won't in the full version. I just forgot about it here. I didn't forget the music, though.
YEAH. I HACKED THE LOOK. LOOK MAMA, IMMA HACKER. Hahaha. XD
Wow...didn't notice the pun there lol
At the end of the cut-scene the player just immediately leaves the Arthur's House thing.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to fix that... :droll:
So the file is titled "CaveStory - Hack," from this we can presume that assembly edits will take the forefront over regular modding. Think of Rise of Ballos, I guess.
Yeah...about that... :critter:
This music is unfamiliar. Did you make it? It's pretty good.
What? For the ruins? No, I didn't. You're complimenting the wrong person, bud.:mahin:
Change the version number. If you can change songs you can change the version number. As well as changing the Studio Pixel thing.
Thanks for the advice! That helps a lot!!!:orangebell:
So the game comes (640x480) windowed, but for some reason you kept the manual's files... and not the file you use normally to open the manual. It is assumed that people playing a Cave Story mod have played Cave Story, if you're going to include the manual please edit it for the sake of making it relate to the mod in particular more.
Noted. :droll:
What's with all the doors being behind walls?
I was experimenting with doors. I was planning to change that.
The quote entity is in the wrong place, and... OH GOD NO NOT THIS MUSIC. NO. NOOOOOOOOOO I FUCKING HATE THIS FUCKING STUPID REPETITIVE FUCKING BULLSHIT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The Quote entity is meant to be a clone. Also, what music is bothering you?
Uh, I didn't find this at Yamashita Farm.
Woops, forgot that...
Stop trying to be the Kazuma cut-scences, 2. Barnacle sauce???
Yep, barnacle sauce. ;)
There are no facepics on the title screen, so I have no idea who is talking. And all I can think of is one person talking to themselves.
I intentionally didn't add them, because it makes it a little mysterious.
Whenever I see this the little voice is like "Haha; 'please tell me how on earth you enjoy this mod,' also the link's right would be above... and to the right."
...yeah, pretty much.
"Introducing my apologies, but even more so!!" :debug:

Well, zxin. Thanks for that review! It really helps.
(Also, I did giggle a little bit at some parts.)

Thanks for taking a huge shit on a new modder's first mod for God knows how many times you've done it. Seriously, this trend is getting old. Please stop doing a horrible job at imitating Seasons' mod reviews.
Yeah, he took a shit on it, but at least he cleaned up after himself. Also, Im okay with this sort of thing. It really actually helps me. :chin:

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't care if the recipient thinks it's fine, I don't care if you think it's fine. This "commentary-style" review format has been the nexus of too much negativity and derisive humour. Find a better way to communicate your feedback, I'm unofficially calling an end to it.
we should be trying to build each other up, not tearing people down. have some respect for the work people do and if you think something should be changed then say it constructively, not "FUCK I HATE THIS REEEEEEEEE"

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:25 PM
Soup Man
OK, suckers. It's time to review another mod, on... vb's Revieeeeeeeewwwwwssss. These consist of 3 parts. "Before I played", "While I played", and "After I Played". I will try and not only tell you what's wrong with the mod, but ATTEMPT at telling you how to fix it (Since I suck at modding myself, sometimes this "attempting" may not happen)... FIRST:

Before I played:
I'm actually not sure what to think of this mod. It seems to be inspired by the 2013-14 era, which is when we got some pretty... Interesting... Mods. (PLEASE DO NOT MENTION GKA) There's not much to say without trying it. I've read zxin's review already (Probably should've played first) so if I notice anything they've already mentioned, I'll just do a quick "(PROBLEM HERE), like zxin previously mentioned.", so... Let's jump right in.

This had better have a data folder...

While I played:
1. IT HAS A DATA FOLDER OH MY COD +1 POINT MOST MODS DO NOT DO THIS.
2. Oh so it turn out you didn't put the files in a folder and put that file in a zip folder before upload...? That's odd... People would want you to do this I think.
3. AGHHHH SINCE MY DROPBOX SUCKS I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THEM ALL INDIVIDUALLY! -10 points.
4. So I just downloaded Data and the exe and put in a config file into a folder and it works fine now... +4 but eh.
5. Wait crap NO IT DIDN'T -50 AGHHH HELP ME
6. So uh
7. I can't download it
8. Unless it's in a folder within a zip folder
9. So
10. Please fix

After I played:
SCORE: -55/10
BONUS: First Mod Bonus: +10
FINAL SCORE: -45/10
I'm not sure what to think of this one...
NOTE: If it's posted in a ZIP folder I'll do the review I think...

This mod was good but has some errors during the "Downloading" portion for me...

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:54 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
OK, suckers. It's time to review another mod, on... vb's Revieeeeeeeewwwwwssss. These consist of 3 parts. "Before I played", "While I played", and "After I Played". I will try and not only tell you what's wrong with the mod, but ATTEMPT at telling you how to fix it (Since I suck at modding myself, sometimes this "attempting" may not happen)... FIRST:

Before I played:
I'm actually not sure what to think of this mod. It seems to be inspired by the 2013-14 era, which is when we got some pretty... Interesting... Mods. (PLEASE DO NOT MENTION GKA) There's not much to say without trying it. I've read zxin's review already (Probably should've played first) so if I notice anything they've already mentioned, I'll just do a quick "(PROBLEM HERE), like zxin previously mentioned.", so... Let's jump right in.

While I played:
2. Oh so it turn out you didn't put the files in a folder and put that file in a zip folder before upload...? That's odd... People would want you to do this I think.
3. AGHHHH SINCE MY DROPBOX SUCKS I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THEM ALL INDIVIDUALLY! -10 points.
4. So I just downloaded Data and the exe and put in a config file into a folder and it works fine now... +4 but eh.
6. So uh
7. I can't download it
9. So
10. Please fix

After I played:

This mod was good but has some errors during the "Downloading" portion for me...
Did you make sure to uncheck read only on the files when you put them all in the same folder?

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
My list of notes. Well, more like list of oversights, but whatever.
  • The exit in Start Point makes a door sound... even though it isn't a door.
  • The Gun Room has a save point sign... even though it doesn't have a save point.
  • The Rapo-Gun is still called the Machine Gun in the inventory screen. You can change this by modifying Arms.tsc.
  • The door in First Cave to Primal DoodleLand doesn't open and doesn't make a door sound.
  • Speaking of Primal DoodleLand, the L in DoodleLand shouldn't be capitalized.
  • Primal DoodleLand's background looks JPEG-y.
  • The Farm's map name is still Yamashita Farm.
  • The Beast Fang doesn't have the circles around it's name, and plays the Life Capsule jingle instead of the item jingle.
  • ...how do you hack a (presumably not electrical/digital) lock? With a tooth, no less.
  • As zxin pointed out, after the cutscene after "hacking" the lock, the exit event is run. This is an issue with a <TRA having the wrong event number, probably.
  • The teleport screen still names Lab Passage as Egg Corridor. You can change this by modifying StageSelect.tsc.
  • When entering Lab Passage, the "Quote teleports in" entity is in the wrong position.
  • The Basils (those insta-killing white sparks) in Lab Passage are nearly invisible due to the bright background.
  • The computer at the start of Lab Passage cannot be interacted with.
  • The Life Capsule at the start of Lab Passage is ridiculously difficult to get, but only grants 3 HP. Either reposition it or make it give more HP.
    EDIT IN RESPONSE TO @SeasonsOfDestiny: or I could stop sucking at platformers
  • The refill point in Egg Observation Room doesn't work. You forgot to give it an event number.
  • Lab Passage Skydragon is referred to as "Rabid Mimiga". I'm pretty sure Mimigas don't turn into dragons when rabid.
  • Sue still questions if you're "from around here", even though you're a Mimiga and are native to the island (...I think).
  • You can't get back to the teleporter at the start of Lab Passage without a level 3 Machine Gun. This is just bad level design.
  • When exiting Lab Passage, the "Quote teleports out" entity is in the wrong position.
Also, nice ORG of Determination, whoever made it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2017 at 8:38 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I don't care if the recipient thinks it's fine, I don't care if you think it's fine. This "commentary-style" review format has been the nexus of too much negativity and derisive humour. Find a better way to communicate your feedback, I'm unofficially calling an end to it.
we should be trying to build each other up, not tearing people down. have some respect for the work people do and if you think something should be changed then say it constructively, not "FUCK I HATE THIS REEEEEEEEE"
Before you pull the "one rotten apple ruins the bushel" card, I'd like to bring to notice that said negativity has become much less recurrent in my reviews, whereas it has been the opposite for Zxin. If this was mainly aimed towards him, then by all means disregard this, but if it wasn't it's not right to punish someone who is making an active attempt to improve along with someone who isn't.

Back on topic, I'll play the mod when I have some free time to do so. If nobody else posts before then, I'll append my thoughts to this post.

EDIT:
I'll try to not repeat anything that's been mentioned already, but apologies in advance if things slip through.

Before I begin, it is preferred if you remove unnecessary files from the mod folder, which in this case would be window.rect and the Manual folder.

p356971-0-7zi3ubr.png

In the pre-title cutscene, there should be a space after the first ellipses.

p356971-1-kbj1f2j.png

ha
even before I started playing mods, I played through Cave Story well over two times

p356971-2-kn0pksh.png

There should be a space after the ellipses.

There are bound to be more grammatical errors, so I'ma just say now that you should do a quick proofread of your text to catch them.

p356971-3-spnbvxn.png

Certainly an interesting choice in design, though it feels overdesigned

p356971-4-4pedogt.png

oof yeah uh
these bars aren't sitting well with me

p356971-5-utc3cyh.png

even with a sign, it's not really necessary to hide the only way forward behind fake blocks
or just in general, really

p356971-6-htloi17.png

since when did robots get hungry

p356971-7-iyxfm8a.png

whoa hey, who's that robot-looking guy? he's looking a little blue.
(Quote's drowned sprite is located in Caret)

The door to Primal DoodleLand doesn't work properly as Leo40Story said. It can be fixed by including a <SOU of the appropriate sound and an <ANP.

this music in Primal DoodleLand sounds so familiar, but i just can't quite remember where it's from

p356971-8-u4b1ipk.png

good ol' sandaime
i can always rely on you to remind me that red flowers are bad

p356971-9-gnlxfbs.png

that is a VERY sturdy door

p356971-10-qavfzrf.png

wew, talk about a tone shift

p356971-11-tfjm0x2.png

you can only inspect the left side of the gravestone, not the right

p356971-12-478zr4x.png

you can change the description of the Beast Fang in the same place as the Rapo-Gun/Machine Gun

p356971-13-pekzasj.png

wait, why did you include two copies of ArmsItem and ArmsImage?

p356971-14-xkqyelb.png

pretty sure "pick" would be more fitting

p356971-15-a2dnmsx.png

wew, leo wasn't kidding
you are REALLY hard to see

p356971-16-qegeeev.png

p356971-17-xpszoch.png

have you considered gitting gud, leo?
no but all you really have to do is a simple jump from the platform below

p356971-18-alscsma.png

that sprite is only used for the stalactites that are actively falling, whereas the one on the left is the one you use for inactive ones

wew lad, this Rapo-Gun is pretty strong
-5 twice per shot at level 2

missed opportunity with all these dead/deactivated blue robots in the passage
could've made a few of them inspectable

p356971-19-sfrp031.png

all these jokes i could make
none of them fit for a christian forum

I dunno why Zxin threw such a fit over the music in Lab Passage. It's pretty nice, honestly.

p356971-20-ivwrxbl.png

Been a little forgiving/lax on the tiling so far, but this warrants mentioning. Could probably move the egg up a few tiles if you want a wall here.

p356971-21-bqposgd.png

oh boy, i sure do love me some barely visible pools of acid (?)

and here I thought level 2 having two hits per bullet was silly as is
level 3 does 7 damage for THREE hits
gross amounts of damage

by the way, giving the player access to a level 3 machine gun is riskier than usual since you have to design around the possibility that they can fly to whereever they please at level 3

p356971-22-t1pa3zl.png

that chest spawned in the air

p356971-23-jyb4cra.png

i can't believe i actually found these hidden pickups

p356971-24-4wytquv.png

the egg tiling is a little funky in a few places, like below the terminal

p356971-25-1wdseob.png

ohhey that's probably not normal

p356971-26-emx0uww.png

p356971-27-cliale8.jpg

p356971-28-i2rtpy7.png

okay, gotta admit that the music here really isn't all that fitting
the original was nice and quiet, whereas now it's IMMEDIATELY FULL THROTTLE

i don't see myself ever using the missile launcher as things are, really
the machine gun is just so STRONG

p356971-29-flja8fr.png

oh

It's pretty decent for someone's first mod. However, you kind of shot yourself in the foot by advertising the mod as "Cave Story, but different". At least you were honest.

Before I played:

While I played:
6. So uh
7. I can't download it
9. So
10. Please fix

After I played:

You know, you could have just said that you couldn't download the mod.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Soup Man
Did you make sure to uncheck read only on the files when you put them all in the same folder?
Not quite sure I did that. Time to boot up this mod for a second go, in: vb's Revieeeewwwwwwwwssssss (Notice: Eww is emphasized upon greatly)

Part One: Before I played:
Well as it turns out, I missed a crucial piece of something or rather on boot up of the mod earlier, so now I'm redoing it. Let's get going...

Part Two: Burgers, fries, a shake or a friend, something something something let's get this review to it's end: WHILE I PLAYED (THE SECOND ONE):
1. Extracting, extracting, is all I have in mind! The best kind of files are small in size! +1 for workinggg.
2. Like the intro cutscene, but it is kind of a visual mess. I can't even tell what's going on... Maybe make it less confusing?
3. Cave Story Silver... Like Pokemon Silver?
4. As zxin said, if you can change the title screen music, you can change the 2004.12 Studio Pixel and the version number. -1.
5. I like the Mimiga Mask but with sideways eyes and a mouth... Oh wait you play as a mimiga... But you can't usually see their mouths??? It's very confusing... The mouth makes the main character look... Off-putting to me... IDK.
6. "Hello." darkness my old friend
7. So I like the disclaimer thing at the beginning about the glitches and such. +1 for being aware of it.
8. "There was a game called Cave Story"
WELL NO SH*T, SHERLOCK. I'VE PLAYED IT AT LEAST 100 TIMES BY NOW. sorry, uh, I think I was a bit... Vocal?
9. "At Grasstown" "At Grasstown" "At Grasstown" "At Grasstown" "At Grasstown" *flashback* "On the year"
10. Why does the robot say "sorta" instead of "Some kind of" or "Some type of" or even "Some Sort of"? I expect him to act like Data from Star Trek TNG. IDK. Maybe he was programmed like that? I would expect a robot to be more civilized.
11. When a robot says "Oh... Boy..."
12. Shouldn't "ok" be capitalized? "OK" should work.
13. Start Point looks awesome. +2.
14. +1 for custom music???
15. Those Critters look like a mix of Waddle Dee and Laa-Laa from the Teletubbies. +1?
16. So I died and... UNDERTALE MUSIC??? Oh screw that crap -10.
17. As zxin mentioned, these cutscenes keep trying to be Kazuma. -1.
18. +8 for barnacle sauce.
19. Completely ignoring Kazuma's the robot's human-like speech I guess.
20. The Rapo-Gun is basically the Machine Gun... Also, is it pronounced "Rape-Oh!"? Uh... -1?
21. The weird bat thing's sprite moves so rapidly I can't tell what it is..
22. The door to "Primal Doodleland" does not open. -1.
23. The custom background looks great! +2.
24. Yamashita Farm is untouched except music. -1.
25. Please stop taking away the first word of a place so it sounds different. (Ex. Farm, Hall) -1.
26. The grave says "Here lies Sango", but that can't be true, because directly underneath the grave is one block, then water. You expect me to believe they fit a "Dragon God" inside one block??? -1.
27. Like every first mod, we have the Beast Fang. I was waiting for this to pop up... -1...
28. I bet next he'll pick the lock with it... Because that's entirely possible...
29. And of course, I was correct. It also seems I put up my Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth "hacking" skills to the test to get in, too. Huh. -1 for using the beast fang to pick the lock, +4 for unintended Digimon reference I think...
30. "Stomach Groan" because all robots have stomachs and need food. -1.
31. You're a robot. You don't need phone. You literally ARE ONE.
32. Robots can also get sick. Either this is the most melodramatic robot I've ever seen, or the worst designed robot ever created. -1.
33. Wot. After the cutscene, I exited the house? Uh... (Yes, I know zxin said this already) -1...
34. Oh, also, the door doesn't open when I go into the bootleg Arthur's House (Chino Labs?) -1.
35. Lab Passage? Must be an entirely new map. +1.
36. ... Egg Corridor on the teleporter? It's probably just a coincidence...
37. AGHH MY FREAKING EYES WHAT IS THIS BACKGROUND I NEARLY MISSED THE TELEPORTIING QUOTE THING HELP -100000000000000 GET ME OUT OF HERE
38. They tested on a lot? Was it a vacant lot? A parking lot? What kind of lot? -1.
39. Debug Cat. -1.
40. OH HEY WE MADE IT TO 40! +100000000000010.
41. White thing on floor killed me because it blended in with the background. -1.
42. Oh hey look a good plot. (Talking about the clone room thing) Looks interesting. +1.
43. Health Restore thing in Egg Obs. Room is instant??? No message box for some reason... I don't like it. -1.
44. If I exit and reenter Egg Obs. Room after getting the Missiles, the empty treasure chest is floating??? -1.
45. Dragon Displays Igor's Facepic??? -1.
46. Dragon is easy as heck with level 3 Machine Gun. I mean Rape-Oh! Gun. -1. Make it harder.
47. Dragon's Movements look unnatural. Why don't you just use an actual dragon NPC for the boss fight? Just add some HP and it'll be an OK boss.
48. Dragon turns into Igor when it dies??? Uhhhhhhhhh
49. "Defeated RABID MIMIGA" ??? I DEFEATED A DRAGGON. -1.
50. MADE IT TO 50! Got the long mod bonus!
51. Generic Sue cutscene. -1.
52. Finished Mod! On to the results!!!

Part Three: Results:
Score: 4/52 possible.
Bonuses: First Mod Bonus: +10, Art Bonus: +5, Music Bonus: +5, Long Mod Bonus: +5, Story Bonus: +5.
Final Score: 34/52.
I enjoyed this mod. It has good plot, music, and visuals (Apart from the Egg Corridor Background), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope your modding skills continue to improve in the future, and you keep making great mods. If this review sounded harsh or discouraging, it was NOT meant to be, and I hope you did not feel that way about it. If it did, I will try and change how I do my reviews in the future. Great job on the mod.

I liked this one. The only "Cave Story but different" I actually enjoyed. Congratz, and keep up the great work.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:14 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Wow. Wasn't expecting very much feedback...
Well, for starters, Thanks for your reviews. Because of the long day I had today, I won't answer to all of them YET. I'll aim to do so tomorrow.
Also, I have bad news. I might be delaying this mod. (Because of the aforementioned long day I had today) So, with great apologies, I can't fix everything right now. I'm so sorry...:( If anyone has the great idea to do anything with this mod, please tell me first.

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:20 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
"It's Cave Story but different"
FUCK
Grr... (mckgamer holds back anger and pries hands away from keyboard trying very hard not to bring up Cave Rap.)

But seriously Jesus Christ do we need to absolutely brutally criticize every mod? I get this isn't exactly the most friendly website but it's the guy's first fucking mod. I've seen much worse mods. Rushed and unfinished and blah. This guy put effort into it and that's all that matters to me. Nothing made him fucking deserve this long ass "review". It's like reviewing some kid's first creation he put on Scratch. Why try so hard to criticize something so little? It doesn't make sense. If you are doing it because it's "funny" well...

It's funny when AVGN get's all snarky and angry and over reacts to a game because he's a character and you can choose to watch him plus he only criticizes games that are actually fucking out there and cost money he has every reason to be angry. I get you can choose to read this too but the creator of this mod probably felt a little compelled to and at props to him about being fair about it. He was really nice in his response, and good for him because he for every good reason could've gotten pissed at this.

EDIT : Just realized that everyone else already said this and Noxid already stopped it and I was too pissed to actually check. So uh... sorry. I was in a bad mood when I wrote this.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:03 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"

I think that's a bit unfair. The commentary style analysis is extremely useful when done properly, a few bad eggs should not spoil the dozen. The commentary approach is the next best thing to live reactions, and the addition of screenshots makes it far easier to identify and explain errors. Not only that, but a mod maker can follow the commentary through their own playthrough to see the person's suggestions as they play through their own mod. Completely forbidding this...

I'm unofficially calling an end to it.

Fuck. Well I wrote this already, screw it

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:52 AM
Soup Man
I think that's a bit unfair. The commentary style analysis is extremely useful when done properly, a few bad eggs should not spoil the dozen. The commentary approach is the next best thing to live reactions, and the addition of screenshots makes it far easier to identify and explain errors. Not only that, but a mod maker can follow the commentary through their own playthrough to see the person's suggestions as they play through their own mod. Completely forbidding this...

Fuck. Well I wrote this already, screw it
I completely agree. I don't really have e much to add. Just stating I agree.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM
Based Member
I as well am going to have to say that it's a bit unfair to forbid a certain style of reviewing just because certain individuals don't do it right, as SuperJaws and TheCyberSleuth have said. If done right, reviews with commentary on individual aspects of the mod and screenshots to showcase what they're addressing can be useful in giving the creator meaningful feedback and show that the user really put time into looking at certain points that could be improved upon, or in some cases, even give them praise. I do recall this trend of commentary reviews with a bit of a sarcastic and sassy attitude really picking up when spirit started reviewing a bunch of mods in this manner, and in some cases it's been taken a bit too far. Obviously zxin took it too far in this case, but that shouldn't ruin it for everyone else. I completely agree that we should try to build each other up instead of tear each other down, but since when was a bit of light sarcastic humor against the rules?

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I as well am going to have to say that it's a bit unfair to forbid a certain style of reviewing just because certain individuals don't do it right, as SuperJaws and TheCyberSleuth have said. If done right, reviews with commentary on individual aspects of the mod and screenshots to showcase what they're addressing can be useful in giving the creator meaningful feedback and show that the user really put time into looking at certain points that could be improved upon, or in some cases, even give them praise. I do recall this trend of commentary reviews with a bit of a sarcastic and sassy attitude really picking up when spirit started reviewing a bunch of mods in this manner, and in some cases it's been taken a bit too far. Obviously zxin took it too far in this case, but that shouldn't ruin it for everyone else. I completely agree that we should try to build each other up instead of tear each other down, but since when was a bit of light sarcastic humor against the rules?
Well from my perspective it feels like every time I see this it's from the other side of a reported post. And i've never had to deal with people getting up in arms over mod reviews before. So understand where i'm coming from in this - if people can't do it without being mean then I guess we might as well not do it at all.