Physical release?

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If you single loop all the songs you can fit pretty much all of them onto the OST.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If you single loop all the songs you can fit pretty much all of them onto the OST.
1. Single loop for the shorter tracks is awful though if you actually want to enjoy the track in question.
2. The service charges more if you go stupidly long with the number of tracks.
3. Selecting a specific track would become a nightmare.
4. They still wouldn't all fit anyways. Converting to single loop rarely removes a full 50% of the playtime of said track, because in most cases the time to the second loop is shorter than the first.

I like the idea of single looping the Cave Story theme and including those other tracks.
No you won't get all those.. I.. I clearly need to simplify this like crazy.

These tracks are locked in:
Last Battle
Running Hell
Oppression
The Way Back Home
Cave Story
Hero's End
Moonsong
White
Wind Fortress
Gestation
Labyrinth Fight
Meltdown 2
On to Grasstown
Gravity
Mimiga Town
Scorching Back

Options A, B, and C refers to what extra tracks we include.

Option A:

The extra track will be Break Down.

Option B:

The extra track will be Balrog's Theme.

Option C (revised):

"Cave Story" will become single loop to fit more audio in.

We will vote for a SINGLE track amongst the following tracks (the 3 point bracket tracks) to act as the extra track:
Break Down
Eyes of Flame
Safety
Toroko's Theme
Pulse

..if there is still room left over then we will vote on a different list of tracks to act as the extra extra track.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016 at 3:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
4. They still wouldn't all fit anyways. Converting to single loop rarely removes a full 50% of the playtime of said track, because in most cases the time to the second loop is shorter than the first.

You sure about that? Because most of the OST loops from the beginning of the entitre track. There are a couple tracks that have anywhere from an 8 bar to 1 bar intro, but most tracks start over from the top. I agree with your other points and they make sense and I'm sorry I didn't quote them, but this one was pretty flawed. That being said, points 1 and 2 pretty much negate having the entire soundtrack on the vinyl. We could still single loop larger tracks.

Also, what's the limit of tracks and total time for the Vinyl? I ask this because I have a playlist of 24 Cave Story songs and it totals around 54 minutes (3,240 seconds) and I wanted to know how we could successfully keep under the limit with the tracks we have.

Aug 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
If the price increases the more tracks you have just combine tracks into one mp3 file?

also I vote option C, and want pulse

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Excluding the beta orgs, all the songs on the OST together are under 40 minutes:

So if you have 20 minutes per side, then you should be able to fit all these songs onto the record.

And if you wanted to get around the "X number of tracks" limit, you could maybe just combine some songs into "single tracks" before sending it to them to be processed. I don't know if that would work, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
also I vote option C, and want pulse
When it comes to voting on a song (if Option C is chosen) it would be easier for you guys to simply list your most wanted to least wanted from those five songs.

For example here's mine:
1. Toroko's Theme
2. Break Down
3. Eyes of Flame
4. Pulse
5. Safety

Of course voting on any song before Option C has been voted in was probably jumping the gun a little. Nonetheless I would vote Option C (I was never that huge a fan of the theme song anyways).

You now have your majority. Vote away guys.

Also, what's the limit of tracks and total time for the Vinyl? I ask this because I have a playlist of 24 Cave Story songs and it totals around 54 minutes (3,240 seconds) and I wanted to know how we could successfully keep under the limit with the tracks we have.
It's 20 minutes per side for a total of 40 minutes. The list I posted already fills all of side a and most of side b, we are pretty much down to deciding what to do with the space we have left.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm okay with single looping Cave Story, but I don't want to single loop everything. We don't need Tyrant, Charge, Jenka and the like, and even with setting it all to a single track there's a lot of songs that are too short for a single pass (IMO).
1. Pulse
2. Break Down
3. Toroko's Theme
4. Safety
5. Eyes of Flame

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:56 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Songs like On to Grasstown and White could get a single loop because they're pretty long, but that's just my opinion. I don't know if anyone agrees with me on this. We should really discuss what tracks were okay with single looping if we really want to go there.

1. Safety
2. Toroko's Theme
3. Eyes of Flame
4. Pulse
5. Break Down

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Songs like On to Grasstown and White could get a single loop because they're pretty long, but that's just my opinion. I don't know if anyone agrees with me on this. We should really discuss what tracks were okay with single looping if we really want to go there.
Well I went for the theme song because it's long and it pseudo-loops between loops. A single loop of the theme song sounds double-looped.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
So I've scored 12 for first place, 7 for second, 4 for third, 2 for fourth, and 1 for last. There is an actual pattern behind the numbers (1,2,4,7,12) for all those math nerds out there.

Here are the results:
Pulse: 35
Toroko's Theme: 32
Eyes of Flame: 23
Safety: 20
Break Down: 20

So Pulse is now locked in. We are now down to just over a minute of audio.

These are the only tracks left that can occupy that space:
Seal Chamber
Balrog's Theme
Balcony
Break Down

Same as last time we will vote on our order of preference from these 4 songs.

This is the final track we need to decide upon.

I'll start things off:
1. Break Down
2. Balrog's Theme
3. Balcony
4. Seal Chamber

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016 at 1:31 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Remember how I said that the record reinbursement (without shipping) was going to be $30 each? I just realised that I stupidly converted the per person cost of the records to AUD instead of USD, and I was waay too rough with currency conversions. The correct figure (again without shipping) should likely work out to around $21 USD per person.

Because of price I've been cheaping out on the choice of sleeve, however in light of this I could probably switch up from the "white thin paper inner sleeve" to the "black card disco bag" for $2.50 USD extra per person (for a total of $23.50 USD per person) if anyone is interested. The printed sleeves still cost too much, but I figure it might be worth getting a sleeve that will last. Of course I'll only consider this if there is an unanimous call for it, it is your money after all.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Hmm, physical media, physical media... How about SRAM cartridges?
If you get enough, you should be able to get decent quality.
Battery-back them so that you don't lose all the data, and then you could have music cartridges!
That could be fun. As for playing them back, that may be more difficult.
(Edit 1. Removed nonsense that didn't really matter. 1.01. I forgot how to use the Enter key today, it seems.
1.03. Removed excessive edit message.)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm all in for the better sleeve. I can print my own artwork for it.

Alright, time to battle it out for the B-side track with the "B" named tracks:
1. Balrog's Theme (The "bridge" or ending of the loop grew on me)
2. Balcony (Very serene, could go for another track like this)
3. Break Down (Admittedly it's done the opposite of "growing on me", not as good as I remembered I geuss)
4. Seal Chamber (Great mood-setting track, but it's basically a simple loop)

Edit: I don't really know how we are going to decide the track ordering. I guess we could start with the order they appear in the game (Side A starts with "Gestation", Side B ends with "The Way Back Home", I'd imagine that's how we'd all want it), and then if we want we could adjust specific things, like putting "Running Hell" before "Last Battle", spacing out the quieter and louder tracks so that it's not clumped, ETC.

EDIT: Just noticed that "mckgamer" sent in a ballot after I already tallied up the votes, despite him making no clear intention of getting a vinyl in this thread (which lead me to believe that we had all the participants at the time). I asked him if he could confirm here.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Just noticed that "mckgamer" sent in a ballot after I already tallied up the votes, despite him making no clear intention of getting a vinyl in this thread (which lead me to believe that we had all the participants at the time). I asked him if he could confirm here.
Oh jeez I'm Sorry, I didn't quite understand how this whole this whole thing was working at first. I don't think I'm interested. Didn't know you already tallied the votes and stuff and I literally just turned on my vinyl player because it's been awhile since I used it and it's broken. Once again, sorry. This is kinda embarresing heheh...

Last edited: