Cave Story android version (Doukutsu Demo android) + download link

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So yeah i was making a Cave Story camera game for android that allows the player to choose a map from a list and run some smaller events like "textboxes" when an entity is touched or some other events as Curly's killer robot event in the core's chamber, well it's just a map and event viwer... nothing special for now you could say, but then... i thought... "hmmm.. i should add something to make it more interesting". So i thought of adding a jukebox mode and playroom mode to the main menu, the playroom mode looks really cool and i think that i could maybe someday transform it into a cave story port for android... here i've made a small playroom mode video, the basic things as: jumping, player movement, animations, camera scrolling and collissions are done. So what do you think guys? Should I really work hard on it to to transform it into a full port? (or at least a half port of the game...)

DEMO 3 RELEASE!
[Sorry no video for now]

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h8vxikmaughs20/Doukutsu Demo_com.rysgames.map.apk?dl=0

*remember to play it you will need a gamepad or an app that will work as a gamepad does!*

*Demo 3 update infos*
-added mimiga village
-added a lot of new NPCs
-added a new piece of story
-added DLC mode
-added chin fish enemy
-added inventory (BETA)

planned for next update:
-completing Toroko shack scene
-adding Balrog boss fight
-completing inventory
-adding more DLC characters
-adding touch controls

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016 at 5:47 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Looks nice! Although considering we can already use PPSSPP to play Cave Story on Android, isn't this a bit redundant?

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:27 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think that's allowed...
and besides, NXEngine already exists.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:20 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Honestly, I see assets from popular titles used in fan games all the time.

As long as the creator of this app doesn't profit off of it, or release it to the play store, I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Honestly, I see assets from popular titles used in fan games all the time.

As long as the creator of this app doesn't profit off of it, or release it to the play store, I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.
it will be a free game anyway the wind fortress music isn't the main theme of this level, i've just put it to avoid the video noises this level originally was using the moonsong theme
anyway now i've fixed the outgoing camera and now it won't go off the map screen and i don't think i will use this level at all because just like i said before this is just a beta and many elements probably will be deleted such as this level (if i will dont keep it as a challenge...)

Looks nice! Although considering we can already use PPSSPP to play Cave Story on Android, isn't this a bit redundant?
Well yeah but i think that another version just for android to avoid using emulators won't be so bad at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 23, 2016 at 2:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I really like the idea, because in this way I don't have to use an emulator such ppsspp or retroarch, where you have to select the rom or select the core and the rom, but instead open an app and immediately have cave story.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:38 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This is a nice idea, since this forgoes the need to use a PSP emulator and/or RetroArch to play Cave Story on Android, but why reinvent the wheel since NXEngine is a thing, like Noxid said? I would honestly just make a quick and dirty port of NXEngine to Android.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2016 at 1:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is a nice idea, since this forgoes the need to use a PSP emulator and/or RetroArch to play Cave Story on Android, but why reinvent the wheel since NXEngine is a thing, like Noxid said? I would honestly just make a quick and dirty port of NXEngine to Android.
Yeah maybe this is a crazy idea to port the whole game but since it was my first and absolutly favourite game since i was 12 years old it gives satisfaction to port at least a part of this amazing game :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:45 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Interesting. I would love to have a port of Cave Story directly made for Android. Because the problem with the RetroArch port in my opinion is it uses the same controls as EVERY GAME ON RETROARCH. Having touch screen controls solely based around Cave Story's platforming would be nice. The PPSSPP method isn't as bad but it still has the same kinds of problems.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Interesting. I would love to have a port of Cave Story directly made for Android. Because the problem with the RetroArch port in my opinion is it uses the same controls as EVERY GAME ON RETROARCH. Having touch screen controls solely based around Cave Story's platforming would be nice. The PPSSPP method isn't as bad but it still has the same kinds of problems.

thanks and i'm almost done with demo 2 that will include shoting, bats and a new kazuma cutscene aswell as complete (100%) quote animations and controls and better water jumping

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:36 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Lol, that's really a nice and wonderful post. I like it very much. Thanks Rysoriginal for creating it for android. can you tell me the proper character names of your game and also their names and functionalities.