CSTSF 2016 Modding Competition Discussion & Submission Thread

How many extra days do you think you'd need in order to be able to complete your mod entry?

• None!

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 1-4 days (The extra weekend)

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 4-7 days

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • 7+ days

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 20, 2016 at 5:22 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've been talking again with my good buddy TommyCoolXin2013TheTankEngine about what to do with the technical scoring this time. Just subtracting a few points for minor errors here and there doesn't really make for much of a scoring system or set any clear targets. A simple idea that I've had, then, is to first grade (and maybe order) the mods based on how complete and polished they are, which will set their base tech score, and then subtract points for any other mistakes from there. That should help everyone know what they're aiming for.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:06 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I just kind of re-entered the CS community again (hello) so to undust BL and my modding skills, I'll probably be in on this.
That 50$ entices me.. That's roughly 10 months of subscriptions on Twitch! Or... I may just buy Overwatch with it. Who knows.
Anyways I'll try and make a mod for this. Dunno if it'll even get top 5 --or get completed-- but I'll try.

also doublethink i love the gif in your signature

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:54 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"..."
did i formally mention im entering yet? cause if i didnt i guess this counts as that

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
You can submit incomplete mods.
The guidelines don't say that.

One with enough skill could release good demo, win the contest, and finish the rest later...
or not

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Friendly reminder that there is about a week and a half left in the submission period. Start to wrap up those mods!

Also, an update regarding the prizes. @Bombchu Link has so graciously contributed $25 to the prize selection, which will be a separate prize instead of adding to the $50 prize already available. This means that there are now five total prizes!

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
remind me, what was the final decision on scoring? what's most important?

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:25 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Ehh.... I probably won't wind up entering. I'll finish my mod but probably not in time for the contest. I've been having difficulties with making time to work on the mod lately so I barely worked on it.

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
remind me, what was the final decision on scoring? what's most important?
There hasn't been a 100% finalised decision yet, at the moment I/we are going with a 40/60 split on technical (completion/polish - mistakes) vs Community Opinion. All 40 might not be needed but it would be nice to have a little extra room to differentiate between levels of complexity, depending on how many submission there end up actually being. It's still a good chunk more voter input than last time.

Further deliberation with tpiceman has produced another boon: A mod's technical score will be rated as the state it was in when submissions close, however, the creator will be able to make (if necessary) approved bugfixes within the two-week playing period, in an effort to ensure all implemented content is accessible. That is, they will not be able to improve their technical score, but they will be able to patch it up as others play it and give feedback. New content will not be allowed either, only fixes, at least for this tourney.

Also submissions are allowed to be edited right up to the closing date in case there was any confusion, there's no rule that someone's first submission has to be their only one.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
five prizes for two people entering
actually according to a count DT made (and I corrected), around 30 people said they were entering.

its outstanding.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
actually according to a count DT made (and I corrected), around 30 people said they were entering.
Don't forget that a lot of people also decided to give up(partially due to time constraints).

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:57 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Now I have to... Carp. Uh. Hey, uh, whoever made this con test, : Can we post unfinished mod demos? I have 1 fourth of a mod. (It's just VERY polished!) (But maybe not the boss fight...)

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
you can post whatever mod you make
it will just be scored accordingly

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:14 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Jun 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM
The TideWalker