Cave Story - Rise of Ballos

What do you think of this mod, and why? Please tick only 1 of the first 5, and please don't troll.

• 5/5, Really good

• 4/5, Somewhat good

• 3/5, Neither good nor bad

• 2/5, Somewhat bad

• 1/5, Really bad

• ============= # This is just a space between choices, please do not tick this # =============

• Needs better/more music

• Needs better sprites

• Needs more asm

• Needs more levels

• Needs to be easier

• Needs to be harder

• Needs clearer storyline

• Needs more work on level design

• Needs more dialogue/characters

• Needs less bugs

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:06 PM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Intentionally shit design is still shit design.
Will you shut up about the design? I removed it because of you and you're still going on about the design

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:16 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Will you shut up about the design? I removed it because of you and you're still going on about the design
First off, don't snap at me for your mistakes. Secondly, you didn't need to remove the area entirely. All you needed to do was fix it up: add in some more non-First Cave parts, stop coating everything in instant-kill spikes, etc. Instead, you opted for the easy way out and skipped over it.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:24 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
First off, don't snap at me for your mistakes. Secondly, you didn't need to remove the area entirely. All you needed to do was fix it up: add in some more non-First Cave parts, stop coating everything in instant-kill spikes, etc. Instead, you opted for the easy way out and skipped over it.
Well maybe you should consider not taunting me for things I don't care about.
I've planned for the first cave after the player visits the waterway. I just don't have the time to do it. I'll basically move it to later in the mod where it won't be as frustrating to a new player.
p216730-0-vcyrtd0.png

Do you think I won the fight against that critter to the left?
I didn't. It just rushed me and sat on me because the "flamethrower" is a peashooter.

I would like the machine gun to either have a bigger hitbox or at least do 2-3 damage.

Also, those red critter bullets seem to dodge right past the level 3 knife attack.

This has a real RPG feel to it.
p216730-1-yopc5bh.png
That TAS level jump right there.
Rename hard-mode to TAS mode please.
It was meant to be a joke. You can do a TAS if you want. Nobody's going to punish you!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I just don't have the time to do it.
Yet you have enough time to constantly add in more ASM and other extra shit. You have time to make a Tracking Blade. You have time to fiddle with the Snake and power it up to absurd levels. You have time to add a random Armor Capsule mechanic. How do you have not enough time to fix the layouts of your maps?

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, we got some things to talk about.

Let's start with balance. Either have a lot of enemies that are sort of easy to kill, or have a few hard enemies to defeat.

Or have a mix of both. From what I can tell, very few of the player base can actually finish this game in normal. I won't say that your ASM work is bad, because it's actually very impressive, but you're completely missing on the other mechanics of the mod that make it whole. Also, I am aware that hard mode is a joke. Please point that out so other players might not actually TRY finishing it.

I could see what you were doing with the level design, but no one likes to tank damage on purpose unless they know it's an intentionally unfair mod. So the stuff with the spikes and what not should be spaced out a block. Also, there are a number of bugged locations that will get you stuck, so fix those please.

It has potential, but man it's far from perfect.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:45 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Yet you have enough time to constantly add in more ASM and other extra shit. You have time to make a Tracking Blade. You have time to fiddle with the Snake and power it up to absurd levels. You have time to add a random Armor Capsule mechanic. How do you have not enough time to fix the layouts of your maps?
Because I find that one of the most tedious parts of CS modding
So, we got some things to talk about.

Let's start with balance. Either have a lot of enemies that are sort of easy to kill, or have a few hard enemies to defeat.

Or have a mix of both. From what I can tell, very few of the player base can actually finish this game in normal. I won't say that your ASM work is bad, because it's actually very impressive, but you're completely missing on the other mechanics of the mod that make it whole. Also, I am aware that hard mode is a joke. Please point that out so other players might not actually TRY finishing it.

I could see what you were doing with the level design, but no one likes to tank damage on purpose unless they know it's an intentionally unfair mod. So the stuff with the spikes and what not should be spaced out a block. Also, there are a number of bugged locations that will get you stuck, so fix those please.

It has potential, but man it's far from perfect.
Yeah, it's not perfect, but I wouldn't say it's really bad though...
Yeah, there are already a few areas I reduced the amount of spikes in, and I even removed an entire spike wall.
Where are the bugged locations?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Because I find that one of the most tedious parts of CS modding
Then either stop modding or stop releasing content until you teach yourself some level design skills. Avoiding the problem is not going to help you.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The first rainbow critter is just brutal, especially considering the thing kills you in one hit while you almost can't hurt it. Either lower its health or just make it not kill you in hit.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
The first rainbow critter is just brutal, especially considering the thing kills you in one hit while you almost can't hurt it. Either lower its health or just make it not kill you in hit.
Not anymore; it does 30 now, and I reduced its health by 75%

That said, that rainbow critter I nerfed will probably be appearing later in the game

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:55 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Because I find that one of the most tedious parts of CS modding.
Are you serious? I hope you aren't; editing maps is leagues easier than fiddling with ASM. It may be more tedious than "muh hacks" to you, but it is what makes a mod a mod. If you can't bother to fix your mistakes, please consider stopping altogether until you do.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:57 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Are you serious? I hope you aren't; editing maps is leagues easier than fiddling with ASM. It may be more tedious than "muh hacks" to you, but it is what makes a mod a mod. If you can't bother to fix your mistakes, please consider stopping altogether until you do.
I find making new maps less tedious than editing previous ones for some reason

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
I find making new maps less tedious than editing previous ones for some reason
With that logic, wipe all the levels you made clean and start over. I really don't care if you find fixing your levels boring; that's a part of modmaking. Fix your shit.

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:40 PM
Professional Whatever
Unless something bad happens that prevents me from streaming, I will be streaming easy mode again starting at 7pm EST. I might start over from the beginning because I'd like to see how the rainbow critter boss plays out but I'm still considering it.

https://www.twitch.tv/diachromatic

Edit: Not sure if I can start at 7 tonight. I will try to start a stream whenever I can though.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016 at 12:36 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
With that logic, wipe all the levels you made clean and start over. I really don't care if you find fixing your levels boring; that's a part of modmaking. Fix your shit.
Okay, you can tell me later which maps need fixing, since I don't see any problems with my mod right now.
Unless something bad happens that prevents me from streaming, I will be streaming easy mode again starting at 7pm EST. I might start over from the beginning because I'd like to see how the rainbow critter boss plays out but I'm still considering it.

https://www.twitch.tv/diachromatic

Edit: Not sure if I can start at 7 tonight. I will try to start a stream whenever I can though.
How do you stream like that?

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:50 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
The blade doesn't work anymore. It won't shoot. At all.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Professional Whatever
Okay, you can tell me later which maps need fixing, since I don't see any problems with my mod right now.
How do you stream like that?
I use OBS Studio which can automatically stream to Twitch using a user-specific key.

I think there was a problem with having the Whimsical Star equipped, try taking that off and using the blade.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
In which map? or at all? Because it's working for me...
EDIT: The whimsical star upgrade has trails that take up memory space also used by the other bullets... Might try reducing the life of those trails to prevent them breaking the other weapons...
EDIT #2: The Blade has an auto-counting system for the extra bullet spaces. Since that's taken by both the Whimsical Star and its upgrade, you can't use it. I'll try fixing it a bit later. It's for the Tracking Blade, which uses Bullet 2C. They take up the same slot used by the Whimsical Star, 2D. If I was to remove that the easy way, you would be able to have unlimited Tracker Blades on screen.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016 at 12:57 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:01 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
are you serious
i can't believe you've fixed every single thing i've pointed out in my notes
it's impossible
I can't believe that either. But I think I've fixed at least most of it

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:13 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Alright I'm sick of this
Intentionally shit design is still shit design.
If you can't bother to fix your mistakes, please consider stopping altogether until you do.
Fix your shit.
If you don't stop being such a pushy little twat you're getting seriously infracted. Consider yourself lucky you haven't been already. You know damn well you wouldn't be abie to tolerate this type of criticism if you were the one in his position.

@general
People are allowed to make what they want as long as they aren't breaking some rule. End of discussion. I literally don't think I've ever seen someone being demanded to outright stop modding before. We've dozens of hardmods in a similar vein to this one over time, there is literally zero reason this thread should be generating so much controversy. Particularly we're in the middle of a modcon that's supposed to be celebrating the community and fostering positivity. If you've made your point and still think his mod sucks then you can sit off in your little corner of the world and deal with it.