Force blocking the Windows 10 update

May 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So yeah I don't know how far behind the curve I am or who actually cares about staying on 7/8.1 but for those who do:

[11:10:37 PM] DT [Nifty]: Alright so Windows 10 just tried to force install itself on my comp so now I'm attempting to clamp its balls
[11:13:19 PM | Edited 11:15:03 PM] DT [Nifty]: If you're like me and want to stop it
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm This is basic
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html This is more detailed
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/ And this explains how to manually remove the get windows update and gwx.exe if you still want to check for it
[11:14:35 PM] DT [Nifty]: Also since this is Skype and M$ is probably reading this anyway: You finally managed to make me consider looking into other OS's, grats

Making a backup probably wouldn't be a bad idea either if you're able

Tell your friends, spread the love, etc

May 30, 2016 at 8:15 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Can't you just rename GWX.exe so that it can't find it and run it on startup?
If only it was that simple.
(Reminder: This is Microsoft. They know their OS inside and out. This will generally result in problems for you.

May 30, 2016 at 11:04 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I tried upgrading to Windows 10, but the amount of background programs that ran in it caused my ENTIRE COMPUTER to lag. So I had to revert back to Windows 8.1.

Even turned off, Cortana used up 30% of my CPU speed. I only have 2.8gHz.

I have a REALLY shitty computer.

May 31, 2016 at 10:52 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I tried upgrading to Windows 10, but the amount of background programs that ran in it caused my ENTIRE COMPUTER to lag. So I had to revert back to Windows 8.1.

Even turned off, Cortana used up 30% of my CPU speed. I only have 2.8gHz.

I have a REALLY shitty computer.
I have only 2.4gHz. This system can't run Minecraft very fast at all - I'd *hate* to see it on Windows 10.
Good thing I moved it to Linux before the Rapture started.

May 31, 2016 at 10:59 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'd be way more interested at grabbing W10 if they weren't so agressive with pushing it, not to mention forcing 'upgrades' without taking system preformance in mind is pretty shitty to do

May 31, 2016 at 2:52 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*debian face*

May 31, 2016 at 10:01 PM
"Huzzah!"
You do know the update program message will be disappear in July, as W10 will no longer be free on that date, right?

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:16 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
You do know the update program message will be disappear in July, as W10 will no longer be free on that date, right?

Unless that date becomes the day that they completely eliminate Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 and force upgrade everyone.

Also, apparently I was mistaken. I have 2.16gHz, and I don't even have a graphics processor (it's integrated into the CPU). Which means that's not even 2.16gHz of DEDICATED processing power, at any given time I could have around 1gHz of actual processing capability. This computer wasn't even worth the $800 that it cost...

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Are you sure? It's buggy and slow often :p
Oh, of course it is, but they don't care about that.
They just know it inside and out, so they don't see the bugs as a problem.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:34 AM
"Huzzah!"
Unless that date becomes the day that they completely eliminate Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 and force upgrade everyone.

Also, apparently I was mistaken. I have 2.16gHz, and I don't even have a graphics processor (it's integrated into the CPU). Which means that's not even 2.16gHz of DEDICATED processing power, at any given time I could have around 1gHz of actual processing capability. This computer wasn't even worth the $800 that it cost...

Actually, my theory is that Microsoft will destroy your computer if you haven't upgraded.
KABOOM!

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:56 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
heh, classic DoubleThink