Dumbest thing you've done during your first playthrough of cave story?

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:15 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
*frustrated sigh* WELL, once upon a time, within my very first, fairly blind Cave Story play-through, armed only with the knowledge of the best ending, I made the oh-so naive move of turning in the Polar Star in exchange for Curly's Machine Gun, COMPLETELY oblivious to the fact that I could've exchanged said weapon for something far more powerful, (in reference to both the snake and/or Spur). *burrows head into pillow whilst tears stream down face*
The snake is not more powerful than the machine gun

Apr 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Apr 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I left Curly in the house after draining her, basically forgetting the last step on a hard run. Then I saved after that point.

May 7, 2016 at 11:08 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
May 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Died to the very first spike. It was such an awful fail, I had to facepalm.

May 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I talked to Professor Booster and got the Booster 0.8 after I was done flying around the entire room, even after getting to the other side.

The only reason I missed the Best Ending was because of that. I looked all over the Core Room, was disappointed in the Waterway Room because there was no Treasure Chest, got mad because I couldn't open the Treasure Chest that had the timer, and checked the door when I fleeing the island after I beat the Undead Core. I literally found everything that was required for the ending, but failed to get it because I didn't ignore that one guy. >_<

Well, you know what they say, curiosity killed the cat.

May 21, 2016 at 3:56 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
literally choosing hard mode Kappa

May 21, 2016 at 8:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I... gave Door-senpai a hug...
and Door-senpai rejected me

May 21, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
dumbest thing i did was i forgot to give curly the cure all and assumed that she wouldve showed up if i didnt get booster 8

That doesn't make any sense. How did she help you move the boulder in the labyrinth if you didn't give her the cure-all? I'm pretty sure its actually required that you give it to her for the game to move on.

May 23, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
The dumbest thing I've ever done during a playthrough is try ever single weapon against Toroko + to attempt to spare her, which I literally swapped guns, reset the game numerous times, tried getting there in every difficulty, tried every version of Cave Story, then to realize like three hours later that I wasted my efforts on plot.

May 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
dumbest thing i did was i forgot to give curly the cure all and assumed that she wouldve showed up if i didnt get booster 8
That doesn't make any sense. How did she help you move the boulder in the labyrinth if you didn't give her the cure-all? I'm pretty sure its actually required that you give it to her for the game to move on.
I think Debug Cat meant that he assumed it was possible to make Curly appear in the boulder chamber without giving her the cure-all by foregoing the Booster v 0.8, and discovered that that was not the case.

Jun 3, 2016 at 6:40 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I talked to Booster :p

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:26 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
No wait. Actually now I remember. I was wondering what would happen if you ran out of air. So after I finally got used to my jump arcs and was about to get outta the first cave I jumped back down and drowned myself.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:17 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I took the machine gun, later read that you can get a special weapon with the pistol so I reset. Then I thought it was the snake, however I then learned it wasn't that either, and had to work with... that.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:19 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
On my first playthrough, I got the normal ending (After the bad one, dying to that one spike, being killed by Toroko in the shack, etc.). I then thought that was the only ending and that CS was a horrible game because I didn't understand the complex story (I was 9, OK!). 2 years later, I saw that there was a better ending, and FINALLY got that one (After 500 tries). Since the game didn't save after beating Ballos, I thought something was wrong (I was used to games that save after end, like Pokemon), and then replayed Hell 6 more times before I realized how stupid I was. I then stopped playing CS for a year before starting to mod it. After several more months I made Ghost Kitten's Adventure 2. That mistake was worse than any mistake I, or anyone, could EVER possibly make. Someone needs to burn that abomination.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:51 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Got killed by that last critter that jumps out at you before the door out of the last cave. Also drowned in the reservoir back at the very beginning of the game.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:37 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The dumbest thing i did on my first play through was not giving up the polar star for the machine gun. I didn't know about the spur either so I fought through the game with just the Polar Star, Missle Launcher, and Blade. Completely bypassing the fire ball as well. I eventually made it to Misery and could never beat her. I eventually learned more about the game after getting Cave Story+.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
IIRC then you have to get the Fireball to progress.
Hmm i just checked rn on my 3ds and yeah you do need it to progress. Maybe there was a problem with the Dreamcast homebrew version that I played first